Game based of a tv show

By Ironpanther, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Hello all it has been awhile since i posted. I am working on a new campaign for my group. The thought i had was to base it of the tv show Dark Matter And have the players start minded cleansed, not knowing who they are, who they work for, ect.

To go along with this i was wondering if it was possible to run two back round packs per character one that is the bases of the character the other the in planted memory. The characters would have their starting skills from home world and class plus the back rounds.

The other thing i am wondering is with the noble born home world what i the actual home world hive, imperial, void, forge, or feral.

Your thoughts on this would be most helpfull

The other thing i am wondering is with the noble born home world what i the actual home world hive, imperial, void, forge, or feral.

I'd say it could be any. "Homeworlds" represent a specific social climate the character grew up in, more than a geographic destination. Usually, it corresponds to a location (hence the name), but few planets are so uniform that they could only host a single "homeworld" background. It would be entirely feasible to have a character come from a Hive world, but have a Shrine World background, simply because the character grew up in the upper levels where religious influence outweighs the cramped living conditions usually found further down below. Likewise, the Highborn background simply refers to characters born into a planet's high society, regardless of where it may exist.

I would not combine this Homeworld with a Feral or Death World, mind you -- the planet's situation should of course fit to the socially focused effects of the Homeworld background, and the Highborn stats do suggest a certain minimum level of civilised society, where talking is more important than fighting.

Thank you that answers one question but brings up another.

This question may sound odd but here it goes, for the purposes of the characters i want them to be mind cleansed but till look like their original home worlds exp feral psyker with the stats to show this but the willpower 2d10+25 of the mind cleansed is that possible.

Well, I suppose you would have to craft your own "hybrid" Homeworld backgrounds. Simply because physical aspects of the characters would not change, but mental ones might. For example, a character will always be as strong or agile regardless of which "alias" they have assumed, but depending on the active personality they might not be in the same capacity to make full use of their Perception (if easily distracted), Intelligence (if having a hard time to focus), or Willpower (easier to scare). Stuff like that.

Of course, mixing Homeworld bonuses like that could result in some unbalanced choices, but given how everything would still remain in the range of what you can buy for XP, it's more an issue of one background being subjectively better than others.

Here is an exp off one of the characters i am making for the group. A Psyker from dusk with the shadow over thy soul back round that has been mind cleansed. In ur opinion would he still have the corruption points and insanity points plus the starting skills and talents from the back round pack.

Hello this is what i have come up so far for my game.

The acolytes wake up on their transport ( unknown type yet thinking cobra destroyer), their memory of who they are and what their mission is has been scrubbed from their memory. There is a holo projector in a corner of the room with a blue Inquisition I that has a gold hour glass over lay. A message is waiting for them. The message is from their Inquisitor it is damaged and skipping they are not sure what the message means.

All they know is that it says they are wanted by forces of the Imperium, if it give s a reason for this it is missing. Now the characters have to find out they are working why they are being hunted, and figure out how to fix it all.

Will pot more on the plot soon feed back welcome.

A Psyker from dusk with the shadow over thy soul back round that has been mind cleansed. In ur opinion would he still have the corruption points and insanity points plus the starting skills and talents from the back round pack.

It's all connected. From the description, it seems the Corruption and Insanity are a direct result of the knowledge they have amassed -- strip away the knowledge (Skills and Talents), and the character would lose the Corruption and Insanity as well.

Sometimes, Corruption can be a physical taint, but it doesn't seem to be the case with this background.

The message is from their Inquisitor

Keep in mind that the characters, if actually mindwiped, would not know who that guy/gal is.

In general, the plot sounds promising, especially when characters like the psyker are mindwiped and do not remember how dangerous they are. The problem would be how to actually "unlock" these powers, as the character would effectively be a witch without formal training to control their gift/curse.

That, and the characters would probably start with nothing in the way of Skills or Talents that have to do with actual learning as opposed to fixed physical attributes. However, perhaps it would be possible to justify via "muscle memory" that bits and pieces slowly come back to the characters, unlocking parts of their original memories -- such as the group standing in front of a terminal, and you allow one of them to regain the Skill necessary to interact with it. Could even couple it to a Willpower test to overcome the mindlock ... and if nobody succeeds, they'd just have to find another way.

Certainly a challenge to "do it right", though, especially as you'll probably have to improvise a lot.

Yeah I gotta admit that would be cool. Like they get attacked up close and all of a sudden their combat skills kick in. "Hyaaah! Wait what? I know kung fu? I know kung fu!!!"

How will the characters be able to recover their memories? Will they find hints? Can they just walk up to the transport's crew and ask "Do you have any idea who we are?" And where is the transport going to?

So if their meories are fake, what is the last thing they remember? "Buisness as usuall and then boom- waking up in a strange place"? or will it contain some clue a sto what happened?

Edited by Robin Graves

Oh yeah if you want to mess with your players and make them a bit paranoid: Have them find a scrap of parchment wit the words "- ne mind left intact." Is it a hint that at one of the PC's might not be mindwiped at all and is faking the amnesia?

Maybe have the PC's get contacted by a guy who claims to be their contact/ go between/ working for their Inquisitor. Bonus points if he identifies himself as "Quaid". ;) But can this guy be trusted? Does he even work for the inquisitor?

How about they all share something in their implanted memories?

Like the hive worlder seeing a ganger with a multiheaded serpent tatoo. The feral worlder was almost bitten by a three headed snake, The noble remembers dancing with trilpets in green scaled dresses. And then later in the adventure they come acros a symbol that's very similar. Is it a sign or code inplanted in their fake memories?

Here is what i have thought about so far adding to what i said before. The crew of the destroyer are mostly hard wired servitors, with the exception of the Astropath and the Navigator both are locked in there in their chambers so they have no physical interaction with the characters only typed messages. as for the message from the Inq. they have no memory off him as the mind cleansing happens after they are pit in status for the mission.

The skills and talents would be a from of musical memory that would come to the characters as those skill would be left in-tacked just the memory's of who they are and what the mission is are gone. As a twit they are also hunted by the Ordos, Adeptus Mechanicus, Grey Knights, Imperial Guard,And other Imperial Factions that are after the cargo they are transporting but they do ot kow what the cargo is because they have no memory of it. Also the only names they have are mission call names no other names are present. They will have to chance to find out who they are and where they are from as the game goes on.

Just thought of this what level would be good to start at the way this is starting to sound rank one might not be good.

The Grey Knights? Why are the daemon hunters after them?

I'm not saying these guys are dead, but they are dead. :)

Inquisitorial infighting? ;)

dfgk.jpg

Inquisitorial infighting? ;)

Or maybe they want their blood? ;)

Hmpf! Sending the elite chamber militant SM in termy armor with the psy powers and the force weapons after (what i persume is) an acolite cell seems a bit op misapropraition of recourse.. Aren't there any daemonic incursiion they should be halting instead?

Aren't there any daemonic incursiion they should be halting instead?

That is for the Inquisition to decide. What are you, a heretic ? ;)

The cargo they are carrying is a necron ftl drive for the Ordo Chronos

Have not come up a full list of why everyone is hunting them some might be trying to help, others are trying to kill them. It is up to the caracters to figure out who is who and sty alive long enough to see their mission done.

The cargo they are carrying is a necron ftl drive for the Ordo Chronos

Have not come up a full list of why everyone is hunting them some might be trying to help, others are trying to kill them. It is up to the caracters to figure out who is who and sty alive long enough to see their mission done.

That should be interesting...

Aren't there any daemonic incursiion they should be halting instead?

That is for the Inquisition to decide. What are you, a heretic ? ;)

No I'm Alpharius Err I mean a heretic! No wait! i'm innocent! I'm a good guy! For the Emperor! :P

Hello thanks for all the comments and questions, it has helped me start to flush out what the main points of the game will be.

I am thinking of starting the characters out at rank 4 as this seams to be a heavy game. Should i have a list of characters carriers and back rounds already made up and let the players pick who they want or have them roll for them and then let them trade off it they want.

Would be fun if it's random, but nicer if you let players the options to swap out. Good idea.

Hello all been working on a the game and playing. Have a question i was reading through Only War and like the thought of the of the team being a group of guardsmen that from diffrent regaments with diffrent abilities (medic,Specia weapon trooper ect). could i use thse special names with the standered classes.