A third of three core sets...

By Schiott, in Deck Building

...equals one core set, I know, but only mathematically. I just got the core set from one of my brothers for my birthday. He has got two core sets himself, so we have a total of three core sets, just to be able to make every possible deck of the current cardpool.

I have an idea which I have only briefly touched on in an SMS to him, but I'd also like to get some advice. I have no intention of playing in ranked play, so I don't feel any pressure to make tournament legal decks, when it comes to loyalty (all other rules should be observed).

I'm thinking of splitting the card pool into 2/3 for him and 1/3 for me, but in a way that makes it possible for him to build viable decks (he's probably interested in playing "official" games), while I also get two cool decks that I could play with.

I'm looking at letting him choose four houses that will be his main factions, and another two in which he'll get most of, if not all the non-loyal cards. I'll keep the remaining two factions as my main factions, while I get the loyal cards for the two houses that get split.

He'll get four "House" factions and two "Banner" factions, while I'll get two "House" factions and two tournament illegal "Banner" factions (the same "Banner" factions as him). He can then split each of his "Banners" in two, so that two "Houses" will share each "Banner".

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to split the factions? And what about the distribution of neutral cards and plots? I'm sure some of these work better with some houses than with others. Any help would be appreciated, as we're in no way seasoned veterans in this game.

Edited by oyvind

I can't speak how to split the factions but I can speak for the neutrals and plots. Three core sets give you nearly 2 full playsets of neutrals. There are only 9 neutrals that you will only have a single playset of (put to the sword, Seal of the Hand, Hand's Judgement, Tears of Lys, Syrio's Training, Noble Lineage, Little Bird, Bodyguard, Iron Throne). I would suggest that you each take one playset of the neutrals that aren't listed above and then decide between you how to divide the 9. You could draft them between you, give the 9 to him, have him take 2 of each and you 1, etc. As for the plots I would suggest to just keep the ones from your core and give him the ones from the other 2. There are 21 plots which you can include 2 copies of, 2 of which are already included in duplicate. As you can never duplicate more than one plot in a deck, giving him all the duplicates doesn't lose you much particularly on a casual level.

I would make one suggestion on how to split the factions. I would do a draft of factions. I would have you pick first since you are getting fewer and can therefore get the faction you want the most. I would then have him pick 2, then you pick your last. Then he picks his final 2.

Three core sets give you nearly 2 full playsets of neutrals. There are only 9 neutrals that you will only have a single playset of (put to the sword, Seal of the Hand, Hand's Judgement, Tears of Lys, Syrio's Training, Noble Lineage, Little Bird, Bodyguard, Iron Throne). I would suggest that you each take one playset of the neutrals that aren't listed above and then decide between you how to divide the 9. You could draft them between you, give the 9 to him, have him take 2 of each and you 1, etc. As for the plots I would suggest to just keep the ones from your core and give him the ones from the other 2. There are 21 plots which you can include 2 copies of, 2 of which are already included in duplicate. As you can never duplicate more than one plot in a deck, giving him all the duplicates doesn't lose you much particularly on a casual level.

Thanks a lot for some great ideas and suggestions. Very well put, and you gave us some great pointers! I think the most fair way is to give him full flexibility (so that he gets all the nine single playset neutrals you listed above). That way he gets twice as many neutral cards as me, which is exactly how it should be.

Anyone else wanting to share their thoughts on the subject?

Edited by oyvind