Expandable, or one-off?

By Hawkstrike, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Will this game be expandable or a one-off? Given the forum its in, and it looks fairly complete, I'd assume a one-off ... any insight or ideas?

Likely expansions to come:

-additional planets

-new ships

-new mission types (scum flavored, perhaps)

-"Official House Rules for blind play" if it becomes popular in the community

If the game does well, there will be an expansion or 2, this is FFG we are talking about. I expect a couple boxed expansions kind of like TI3, Civilization, etc.

In the PC game, there was a very large array of ships, troops, buildings and characters. This aspect has been stripped down a lot in the boardgame. This is the biggest area for expansion as well as new missions, cards, and any new side mechanics.

This is FFG we are talking about. Very possible.

Right now the board is a semi-circle, depicting only half the galaxy; I think that's very much intentional. ;)

I do agree that it would be easy to expand this game with additional units/missions.

I'm expecting one big box and a couple of smaller ones. Maybe adding the hutts and scum in as a third force, maybe with a new kind of unit for the Empire and Rebellion?

I hope it is expandable, right now based off the photo released you have both Death Stars, the SSD, the Imperial SD, the Gozanti FF(?), and the TiE fighter for the empire space forces. So based on the other games things that have been released and could for this the Victory SD, the Gladiator, the Raider, TiE Advanced, TiE Bomber, TiE Interceptor, and maybe the bounty hunters. I am guessing it is about the same for the Rebles. So yes I hope that it is expandable, as each of the above could add little bits to the game, and overall making it better, or at least that is my hope. Looks like fun, as it is, but more can be better.

I see the game having 1 nearly equal size expansion.

It will be another large board (making the other half of the circle). It will introduce some new pieces (tie bombers, a-wings, wookiee soldiers, standard imperial army units), and a new scum & villainy faction that has it's own goals.

S&V faction isn't particularly powerful even compared to the rebellion, but has some neat tricks. They can steal resources from under-defended systems. They can infiltrate and take over under-defended planets.

While the Empire has to destroy the Rebellion's base, and the Rebels have to inspire galaxy wide revolts, the S&V goal is just to gain control of X amount of planets.

If gaining control for S&V doesn't change the loyalty of the planet, it makes a neat 3rd wheel game style. Rebels have to keep trying to start revolts while dodging the empire. The empire has to crush the revolts while seeking out the rebel base. Both basically ignore the S&V while on their main mission. But ignore them too much and they leach your resources away, undermine your defenses, and could pull off a win while the 2 bigger factions are messing with each other.

The larger board could be used for 2 or 3 faction play.

Would be a pretty interesting expansion.

I don't however see them doing constant updates like X-wing, IA, Armada.

If a Scum and Villainy faction does become a thing, I would love for them to make Tyber Zann, of Empire At War: Forces of Corruption fame, one of that faction's leaders, a nod to the game's PC gaming inspiration (which admittedly dates far earlier than Empire At War , yet I'm seeing influences of both the Empire At War and Rebellion PC games in the description of this product). The question is, now that LFL has laid all their cards on the table with regard to the Unified Canon/Legends dichotomy, is FFG allowed to freely pull from Legends in the same way that the IP's writers can, and if so, do their choices impact the continuity moving forward? I'm guessing they don't as such, but it would be interesting to know for certain so we can have an idea what to expect with the game.

Well Uprising made the Zann Consortium canon but we don't know how strong they are in canon. The only canon reference I know of confirming there existence so far is that one of the NPC classes you can recruit in Uprising is a Consortium operative, a racketeer I believe, who was cut off from the Consortium by the Iron Blockade.

FFG....is like a rabbit in springtime...