Is this "really" 4 players?

By iLiveAGAIN, in Star Wars: Rebellion

4 Players huh? Looks like a two player game, even the setup image of the spoiler is a 2 player game.. is this like saying a chess game is a 32 player game as there are 32 pieces?

sw03_layout_left.png

There seams to be little information, but I assume that you play on teams, which is basically just splitting 1 player into two right?

All through the article there is language like this... "the Imperial player can..." / "As the Rebel player, you might..." .... just saying....

More info please for multiplayer.

Edited by iLiveAGAIN

Yeah it's a deal breaker for me if you don't add anything to the game by adding another player. Chess can be a 100 player game if you let 50 players per side each take a turn moving a piece. There needs to be some value added by adding another player, otherwise it's strictly a 2 player game. Would you play this with 3?

Well, there could be an expansion adding the Scum and Villany!

In addition to designing Freedom in the Galaxy , John Butterfield designed an actual strategic Star Wars board game way back in the day for, I believe, West End Games who had gotten a license. I know because I was a playtester for the game, and I think I still have all the playtest materials in a box somewhere. West End went under before the game could be produced or it didn't get the license in the end, or something--I forget why the game never came out. It was a very different approach than FitG , much more streamlined and, of course, with the iconic Star Wars characters, and was designed for two to four players. As I rememer, there was one Imperial Player, one Rebel Player, one Underworld player (mainly representing the Hutts and their criminal network), and I forget who the fourth were but I think they were unaligned planets or possibly a different criminal group, smugglers and bounty hunters.

lets hope so, as Crab said.. this is a deal breaker. You would think they would mention the other factions in the blurb.

Still Star Wars really only has 3 factions... Criminals, Empire and Rebels.... FFG has already drawn a line between "scum" and "smugglers" to split the criminal faction in the films, and I am pretty sure that the "none aligned planets" are mentioned in Jedi.

I dunno... we need more info on multiplayer and need is fast. The very fact they didn't say jack about it or other factions in the blurb is not a good sign.

re-reading the article it seems to imply that the game is a strictly 2-player game. It says lines like "If you are THE Imperial player", or "The rebel player".

2 player primary game with a tacked on 4 player "team mode" like War of the Ring is my guess.

Yeah, I'm definitely interested in hearing how the 4-player mode works. That's the main way I'd be interested in playing, but it'll be a harder sell if it's not well-executed.

Still Star Wars really only has 3 factions

I don't even.

I don't even.

Ditto.

I don't even.

What other factions are in the original trilogy? I mean we are not talking about the retarded prequels or the extended universe crap.. this is pure golden age only.

So.. what other ones are there then?

Edited by iLiveAGAIN

I don't even.

What other factions are in the original trilogy? I mean we are not talking about the retarded prequels or the extended universe crap.. this is pure golden age only.

You can't claim something and then say to cut stuff out just so you are right. Thats like saying a sandwich is nothing but bread if you cut out all the other crap.

Scum is fine in x-wing. It's a small enough scale that a fight with a gangster makes sense. I really hope they don't appear in Armada, and this game's scale is even bigger! It's just...weird. It's like a WW2 game with the Axis vs. Allies vs. Al Capone. Sure, there was a fun video game with scum as an equal faction, but its just because the game developers wanted to make an expansion! Star Wars is good vs. evil, rebels vs. empire.

Edited to stay on topic: FFG keeps learning from their old games. I bet the 3+ games will have an interesting new element, though I'm sure it'll be a team game. Sounds good to me!

Edited by KevinBakon

Meh... team game and I am out. I want Forbidden Stars / Twilight style player seats that can be added or removed. 3 players or 5 players or w/e (after expansions.)

I don't even.

You can't claim something and then say to cut stuff out just so you are right. Thats like saying a sandwich is nothing but bread if you cut out all the other crap.

FFG Only has permission to make board games from the original trilogy.

Also "One of the most important ways that Rebellion evokes the original trilogy is through its asymmetry."

Edited by iLiveAGAIN

They actually don't have the license to make Star Wars boardgames. Period. No matter the era.

Clearly, they made a deal with Hasbro and LFL to make this game. I'm sure Imperial Assault's success was helpful in that. And it has been stated quite a few times, that FFG's license is all inclusive. They just choose not to make PT based games, even if they use PT content in their other games.

I am wondering which game I will buy - Forbidden Stars or Rebellion.

Answer to question "how a 4 player game works" is crucial here and want to see some info soon!

re-reading the article it seems to imply that the game is a strictly 2-player game. It says lines like "If you are THE Imperial player", or "The rebel player".

They also mention 'factions', and they definitely say 2-4. I wouldn't be surprised if they split rebels and empire into 2 each. Also there are 4 leaders right?

They also mention 'factions', and they definitely say 2-4. I wouldn't be surprised if they split rebels and empire into 2 each. Also there are 4 leaders right?

There are 25 leaders. :D

Could even be something where there is a General and an Admiral for each side. That might make it interesting. Fighting over where supplies should go.

I think those of you who say this game is a deal breaker if it is strictly a 2 player game are LIARS! :P this game looks super fun even if it is only 2 players.

The PC game was 2 players and was great. This game will be fine as 2 players.

The only way that I can think to incorporate more players is by dividing the tasks (ala xcom).

1 person in charge of fleets, the other in charge of ground and they have to split and share resources. Or one could be in charge of the military while the other handles the cards and the major characters.

I find games that are built around the premise work well, but others that tack it on at the end just feel like a convoluted 2 payer game. Either way though, I can't wait for this!

I feel like it would say "2 or 4 players" rather than "2-4 players" if it was simply adding team play. Then again, you might be able to do 2-on-1 play. The LCG has rules for multiple Rebel players against an amped-up Imperial player; might see the same thing here.

From the previews available I don't see anything for a mercenary faction. That's a shame. I enjoyed Star Wars Risk: Original Trilogy Edition that was 2-5 players. You had Rebels, Imperials and Hutts. If you played with 5 players, the Rebels and Imperials worked in "Teams" that could somewhat work together, but it played more like classic Risk. I don't know if we'll see something like that here, but we can't rule much out at this point.

So this is a wait and see, however I will say with my wife being the main person I play games again these days 2 player does not sound so bad

genau!

Over on BGG, a report came out from Game Insider that the four player game is divided along the lines of the Admiral and General duties for each side. Notice on the starting four cards how there are two leaders with a blue rectangle at the bottom and two leaders with an orange rectangle at the bottom. These can lead fleets and armies respectively. So the Admiral for the Imperials will start with the Emperor and Tarkin, and the General will start with Vader and Tagge. The player reference sheets are double sided and are differently arranged for a four player game. This is as much as has been released on the 4 player option.

Over on BGG, a report came out from Game Insider that the four player game is divided along the lines of the Admiral and General duties for each side. Notice on the starting four cards how there are two leaders with a blue rectangle at the bottom and two leaders with an orange rectangle at the bottom. These can lead fleets and armies respectively. So the Admiral for the Imperials will start with the Emperor and Tarkin, and the General will start with Vader and Tagge. The player reference sheets are double sided and are differently arranged for a four player game. This is as much as has been released on the 4 player option.

An elegant solution. It'll be fun to turn to your partner and say "the Rebel Alliance is too well equipped; they're more dangerous than you realize..." :P

An elegant solution. It'll be fun to turn to your partner and say "the Rebel Alliance is too well equipped; they're more dangerous than you realize..." :P

"Perhaps for your Starfleet, but not for this battle station. This station is now the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest we use it. "