About time!

By stuuk, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Played the hell out of the PC game. Bough copy of both US and UK version.

Plan to buy 2 coppies of the board game for Blind play

Can you explain to me what you mean by "Blind Play"?

When I saw this I couldn't help thinking "FU star wars risk"

I get to play as tarkin, I get to build death stars and I get to blow planets up.

I love OT Star Wars Risk, and this looks like it will take that feel but crank it up to 11, and I can't wait.

Something like "fog of war" I presume

The name seems deliberately chosen to tug at that '90s PC nostalgia, much like X-Wing before it. I am curious, though, to what extent they already plan to release an expansion for this game with elements from The Force Awakens .

Looks fun, I'll buy in.

As someone mentioned earlier using xwing, armada, and Imperial Assualt to do the battles.

As for expansion, fring worlds, corellian sector?

The name seems deliberately chosen to tug at that '90s PC nostalgia, much like X-Wing before it. I am curious, though, to what extent they already plan to release an expansion for this game with elements from The Force Awakens .

I doubt there will be a FA expansion. You'd need all the fiddly bits replaced, all the character cards, events, etc. About the only thing reusable would be the board, and even that SHOULD change. The new trilogy will take place over a different array of planets, while Rebellion will likely be original trilogy planets.

If anything, I see a complete reboot. Wait till Ep9 is done, then release Rebellion under some new title with all new stuff but the same base core mechanics.

Looks fun, I'll buy in.

As someone mentioned earlier using xwing, armada, and Imperial Assualt to do the battles.

As for expansion, fring worlds, corellian sector?

As much as a 'super game' sounds fun, it seldom is. The games aren't built around each other in any way, so it's almost impossible to balance. 'Fighter battles in Armada should be played out in X-wing!' Yeah...no. How do you balance such an equation? And how do you handle all the fighter vs stuff not in x-wing...simple dice rolls? That comes off weird. Custom IA missions to resolve Rebellion missions/conflict sounds cool, but I doubt would work well.

Rebellion is built around a certain chance of success/failure. By micromanaging that, you tip the balance and ruin the effect of the higher level game. Does a star destroyer in Rebellion equal just 1 or 3? Does an X-wing represent a single fighter, a pair, a squad? For the lower level game it would matter, but for the higher level game it's just a representative piece for a dice roll.

Then you have to consider that combat resolves differently for each game. How do you handle a win by points in an X-wing fight as it compares to Armada? Could you see the conflict as some guy expertly defeats 3 squads of tie fighters with 1 squad of X-wings in X-wing duals only to have that X-wing destroyed by a lucky shot in Armada.

Beyond that, you create this messed up time mechanic. Rebellion space combat breaks down to armada and armada fighter combat breaks down to X-wing. Armada fight has 10 x-wing battles that take 30 min each, and the armada match takes an hour on top of that. We just spent 6 hours to determine 1 ten second roll of the dice in Rebellion. WOOT!

I've seen people do it, try it, and even got involved in some myself and these types of epic games tend to die soon after they take flight as people get fed up with it. Great ideas that tend to get too overly complicated.

Something like "fog of war" I presume

He means that there will be a full set up of two games with a divider between them. Neither the imperial nor the rebel player will see what is on the other side (Battleship). As encounters occur, each side will update their board with the newly discovered units/loyalty markers/characters, etc...

more, More, MORE!