Ragnarok and the Return of Magic

By Galladrick, in Wrath of the Gods

Every time I read through the ragnarok section of Wrath of the Gods, I start wondering about how a modern world would deal with the return of what could be called magical powers. While the text does explain that some go crazy while others commit suicide when their wyrd is revealed at the beginning. But what does the power of the Eldar Futhark portend for those willing to use them in the battle against Loki?

Can PC's who are educated in runes utilize their traditional powers? Is it coincidental effects, to borrow Mage the Ascension terminology, or would it be vulgar, noticeable rune magick - with the runewise taking on the role of super heroes or super villains in the final days?

Additionally, since the Nordic religion was spot on in The End of the World, how do other religions react? The return of "old gods" would be seen as a demonic invasion by most Abrahamic faiths (Muslims, Christians and Jews). They wouldn't be completely wrong.

You could have two types of magic - flashbang insta effects and long drawn out rituals. Instant damage - flashbang. Future sight - ritual.

All the other religions were COMPLETELY wrong,,,, The Torah/Pentateuch/Genesis to Duetoronomy are just that - creation myths... Norse Mythology got it right, but failed to convert the Roman Empire. A small minority of followers, of the major world religions would/may become fundamentalists/demon hunters/wack jobs and makes a better story anyway. Others would flock to Rome, Mecca, Jerusalem, the Golden Temple etc. praying for guidance or help.... and it comes in the form of the PCs being recruited by Odin... who looks like Anthony Hopkins! :lol:

Well, since the characters are more or less based upon ourselves (usually), I would probably speak for myself as I would probably still keep my original faith (Christianity) and see the entities as being more along the lines of really powerful aliens and/or a seperate and ancient branch of humanity whose "magic" is probably more along the lines of tech beyond our conventional understanding a la Arthur C. Clarke, H.P. Lovecraft, and/or the Norse Pantheon of the Marvel Universe. Heck, if I had somehow survived the mess (or re-survived if I had became an Einherjiar(sp?)) and ended up taking care of Thor's kids, I'd probably try to get them baptized. :P You can imagine the poopstorm that would cause. LOL.

I mean, ol' Cap America deals w/ "gods" all the time and still keeps the old time religion of the 1930's and 40's. :P