Serious Question RE: Android universe RPG

By Cantor, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

Have we had anything from FFG about an Android RPG? Any hints, any reasons why it doesn't exist?

I'm one of those guys who can't get enough of the Android setting. I play the LCG and board games, and I read the books.

I have heard nothing official , but I do know a couple of people who after seeing "The Worlds of Andriod" in the news feed have decided to use it as a source book of sorts to run there own RPG based of various rule sets.

I took the announcement of "The Worlds of Android" as them saying there will not be an RPG. It looks like an RPG sourcebook so I feel they were working on one, but I would have to assume that the RPG rights for Netrunner are owned by R.Talsorian Games and no agreement could be reached. Not wanting to put out an Android RPG that could not use Netrunner, they just put out this instead.

Netrunner licenses mechanics, not settings. Android Netrunner doesn't use characters or locations from original Netrunner. There's nothing in the Android universe I'm aware which is a product or R. Talsorian's Netrunner.

In 1988 R. Talsorian Games released an RPG called CyberPunk. A second Edition was released in 1990 called CyberPunk 2020. The setting was licenced to Wizards of the Coast in 1996 for a CCG. WotC focused the new game on the character role (class) of "Netrunner". R. Talsorian still retains the rights (as noted on each Android: Netrunner package) and I'm sure as a role playing game company, they would need to be at least a partner in any RPG using a Netrunner class.

Ah, now I see your point. You're assuming of course that they use a class-based system for the RPG, but I do see the difficulty. There is of course nothing to stop them releasing an Android RPG and not use the term 'Netrunner' at all (simply replace it with 'hacker' or any other fitting term), but it would certainly be quite jarring.

Ah, now I see your point. You're assuming of course that they use a class-based system for the RPG, but I do see the difficulty. There is of course nothing to stop them releasing an Android RPG and not use the term 'Netrunner' at all (simply replace it with 'hacker' or any other fitting term), but it would certainly be quite jarring.

Well maybe not netrunner but unless runner has been copyrighted, (and with the mess of copyright laws it probably has been). So hacker classes/carrers in android universe might just be plainly called runners instead of the cooler term netrunner.

Edited by Marinealver

So, Netrunner has some history with another company.

That's not the same as Android. I assume that Fantasy Flight controls that setting?

Android is all FFG (or so it appears from the copyright info)

R. Talsorian Games released the RPG Cyberpunk. Wizards of the Coast used the Cyberpunk setting as the background for their Netrunner CCG. FFG then licensed the game mechanics from WotC, but moved the setting to their own Android universe. Android is clearly distinct from Cyberpunk as far as settings are concerned. Cyberpunk's big west coast city is 'Night City', and it would conflict with the location of SanSan. So presumably an Android RPG would have a setting distinct from that of Cyberpunk.

Well maybe not netrunner but unless runner has been copyrighted, (and with the mess of copyright laws it probably has been). So hacker classes/careers in android universe might just be plainly called runners instead of the cooler term netrunner.

That seems unlikely, Shadowrun uses the term 'runner' pretty much across the board and that's a cyberpunk setting (albeit one with magic) . It used the word 'Decker' through it's first few iterations for it's version of Netrunners, who run the 'Matrix''. in the 4th edition this was replaced with Hacker.

Honestly, I'm assuming one of the GenCon '16 surprises releases is going to be a Android RPG beta ruleset that's pure crunch and just goes off the Worlds book for fluff.

Anybody's guess.

Now that Genesys is out, I think that the RPG you guys were all waiting for. Just ordered Worlds of Android. With that book and the stuff Android related without Genesys book, you save what you need to run a game.

There will probably be another sourcebook coming out as well, specifically for Android.