What are you missing?

By Jedhead, in Warhammer: Diskwars

So I was wondering today if there were any other lurkers out there who still visit these forums on occasion looking for a post to read...or maybe even some news about our beloved game. I, for one, still drop by from time to time, but there is never much to see. I thought I would make an attempt to change that and see how much of the community is still hanging around.

So my question: What would you most like to see added to your current disk collection? I know most of us are thinking: "Any new expansion...really, ANYTHING at all....please FFG... please" :unsure: . Put that aside for a second, though. Imagine you have a magic wand with the power to create one unit and one additional race to be added to the game immediately. What would you choose?

I happen to be a High Elf fanboy with a an appreciation for Wood Elves, so I would love to see anything added to those factions. Dragon Knights of Caledor, Phoenix Guard, White Lions, Waywatchers, Treemen, Treekin, Wild Riders...you get the idea.

If I had to choose just one unit, though, I would like to see either White Lions or Waywatchers (Okay, I cheated and chose two, but I am the OP, so I can do that :P ). High Elves could use a good brawler, and I like the fluff of the White Lions, and Waywatchers...well, they are just Waywatchers, and that level of badassery needs no explanation.

As for a new race, I think I would lean toward Bretonnia. I don't know why exactly, but they have always appealed to me the most out of the human groups in Warhammer, though I appreciate the Empire as well. I guess I have a fondness deep down for the glorious final charge (born of my lifelong love of Tolkien and the Rohirrim in particular) where you break the enemy or die in the attempt.

So what about the rest of you? What would you add?

Wood Elves!!!

I'm a Lizardman fan myself, so I really want (aside from the obvious full faction treatment) a Slann Mage as a hero. Immortal Giant Toad Wizards for the win! Oh, and also a Carnosaur. Because dinosaurs.

I also love the play of the Vampire Counts, so I'd love to see some units that...help them be more competitive. Overall as I played them, I found that if I played a random player, I was at a serious disadvantage because they really so heavily on being able to outguess on the command cards.

As far as an additional faction, I'd love to see Ogres. And Skaven. And Brettonia.

I do still have hopes that we'll see more for this game in the future, just on a board game expansion speed, not an LCG speed (which is fine with me,the pace of the LCGs is too hard for me to keep up with). Would love a statement from FFG confirming that the game isn't dead - since when they cancelled the tournament packs they said the game was doing well...

I'm a Lizardman fan myself, so I really want (aside from the obvious full faction treatment) a Slann Mage as a hero. Immortal Giant Toad Wizards for the win! Oh, and also a Carnosaur. Because dinosaurs.

I also love the play of the Vampire Counts, so I'd love to see some units that...help them be more competitive. Overall as I played them, I found that if I played a random player, I was at a serious disadvantage because they really so heavily on being able to outguess on the command cards.

As far as an additional faction, I'd love to see Ogres. And Skaven. And Brettonia.

I do still have hopes that we'll see more for this game in the future, just on a board game expansion speed, not an LCG speed (which is fine with me,the pace of the LCGs is too hard for me to keep up with). Would love a statement from FFG confirming that the game isn't dead - since when they cancelled the tournament packs they said the game was doing well...

Some large saurian units would indeed be phenomenal, but I also agree that if lizardmen were to get just one disk, I would want to see a Slann. Someone has to challenge Teclis for top magic user in the game...

I'm not really in to Warhammer, but I would really like to see a few things just on the "where would I like this to go" route. As such, I can't really pin it down to one thing. If there's one thing I think I want most it's less of a type of unit and more of a conceptual approach to something which I'll explain. I'll then provide a list of unit type things afterwards anyway (because who's going to stop me?).

I love the spell system the way it's done in WHDW. Compared to the original disk wars it works extremely well. However, I'd like more to be done with it and I feel that there's an odd effect that makes this tricky. Some notes,

-I like the idea of spells being among the most powerful and varied command cards being offered. I think that to some extent this is true however it's something that's hard to expand on for reasons I'll expand on for the next few notes.

-The cost of having spells being so relatively powerful, is that they require 'caster' units and heroes to use them and they become dead once those disks are dead. The problem with this, is that sometimes that isn't much of a cost. This is particularly so when most factions have some hero (frequently a durable hero even) that would be used even if they weren't casters (what orc list wouldn't use Azhag if he stopped being a caster?). Also, at the moment, having any caster, gives you access to -all- spells.

-If it isn't a heavy cost to include casters, then it's not a good idea to give that faction a powerful spell as it'll quickly become as much an auto-include as Shield of Saphery. So as long as these powerful spells can be cast without any concessions to your army you can't release spells that are that much stronger than a command card in that slot without it being a balance issue that kills the potential for variety.

If you want to work around this and expand the spell casting, I think there are a couple things that might be done. One option would be to make more spell cards that are more specific in which caster can cast them (for instance, how powerful could you make a Chaos Spell if it required you to use sorcerers to cast it?). Another option would be to make the spell effects powerful but dependent on having an odd or less ideal army setup. For instance, maybe if there was a high elf spell that allowed you to empower all infantry units in short range of a caster, that would not be an auto-include in most current high elf armies (where you'd be far more interested in empowering your Sun Dragon or Silver Helms, or any other specific disk within medium range) but which could potentially be very powerful but requires a different army style, and might even make a high elf army focused more around small melee units more viable.

On a very related note: I think that in general it'd be nice if the decision for command cards was made more interesting for more slots in most armies and a good idea to evaluate new cards based on how they compete with other options for that slot. Destruction armies in particular I find have an interesting question of taking Intimidate vs Eager Troops and Chaos gets another interesting option in Acquiescence. On the other hand, Strength of Gork, though not a bad or uninteresting card (I'd say comparable to an empower easily) just gets too overshadowed. Not saying that every card slot for every faction ought to be that competitive but it'd be nice if there was more of that. Also, some factions could use something that competes on even terms with the basic empower cards for some slots. Dwarves in particular I think could use another devious card that is generally more practical than Spelleater Rune (I wouldn't run this card even if it didn't require Runesmiths) as otherwise I imagine that all dwarf armies will always be running Lure unless they run entrap.

So while I'm at it, unit types:

-I'd really like the vampire counts to get access to a more durable defensive style of infantry, poison, and other things to help their style work better.

-I'd like the Dwarves to get something that helps them take out larger enemies (their army is custom tailored to taking out average level enemies so incredibly efficiently but most armies in the game are focused around the big disks).

-An actual full army for all the single regiment races would be awesome of course.

Hi,

many years ago I played WH Fantasy battles so I cannot recall all units but i would like to have complete skaven army:Doomwheel, Plaque censer bearers, Plaque Monks, scaming bell, assassins...

Skavens are really cool to play, i like their warpstone stemapuk technology.

Also for wood elves: treeman and treekin.

For orcs: sontlings- i miss them; so much fun to play with them. Also squig hoppers, netters and clubers, maybe spider riders....and giant and fanatics

High elves: dragon princes, shadow warriors, white lions.

Empire: halflings, ogres and flagellants, wizardsfrom other school of magic not only bright.

Dwarves: troll slayers.

I really wanted to write only few things but i miss so much good units....maybe most orcs&goblin but if i need to choose one army that would be skavens.

I still hope they will publish one more big expansion.

This warhammer is much more accessable and playable then old...tense and action packed...great game, even my wife likes it (and she mostly likes eurogames)

i just want all armys and races from old world in this great game :wub:

I like Velensk's idea of providing more magic options paired with increased restrictions. Perhaps limiting spells according to the level of caster (an idea several of us have kicked around on here before) would be one option, as would producing more cards that target specific types of disks.

I also wish there were more traits available on heroes to help with unique command card options that weren't spells. For example, warrior or champion could be present on heroes such as Tyrion, while Karl Franz could have strategist or something similar. I think it would be a neat way of opening up more command card options that weren't spells, but were still restricted in use. Some sort of heroic devastating charge from Tyrion or Grimgor would be awesome, but wouldn't feel right if executed by Teclis, for example, in much the same way that Tyrion shouldn't be casting Shield of Saphery.

To give some specific focus on what I'd like to see/would drop cash on I'd love for them to expand upon what we have for another good guys/bad guys expansion set. Focus mostly on the least represented factions while adding a little more for the others. So to extrapolate, the Bad Guys box could be called something like "Hatred and Plague" and focus on adding a lot of Skaven and Dark Elves, two factions that exist, but only barely. Then add in a few more disks for the Orcs, Chaos, VC, maybe about three each? Of course, each army has a wealth of units to draw on from what Warhammer was before GW killed it. A personal favorite would be the Corpse Cart. And for the Good Guys that would of course be Wood Elves and Lizardmen (I mean, come on, a Saurus hero and only skink units???) with a few additions to Empire, Dwarves and Pointy-ears.

Still missing discs to flesh out the "Minor" races which can not deploy any army on their own. Supporting them and making them playable as a complete, single army should be the first thing to do.

Of course Order armies should also be stocked up, for fairness, but as I clearly favour Destruction, I will only list my very personal wishes:

- Queek Headtaker (Hero), Stormvermin and Jezzail Teams for Skaven

- Deathblade (Hero), Cold One Cavalry and Cauldron of Blood for Dark Elves

A lot of wishes for Chaos and Orcs, too, but this can wait.

...I also love the play of the Vampire Counts, so I'd love to see some units that...help them be more competitive. Overall as I played them, I found that if I played a random player, I was at a serious disadvantage because they really so heavily on being able to outguess on the command cards...

I really hope they give the Vampire Counts a little more power and a sense of a really menacing force.

...I love the spell system the way it's done in WHDW. Compared to the original disk wars it works extremely well. However, I'd like more to be done with it and I feel that there's an odd effect that makes this tricky. Some notes,

-I like the idea of spells being among the most powerful and varied command cards being offered. I think that to some extent this is true however it's something that's hard to expand on for reasons I'll expand on for the next few notes.

-The cost of having spells being so relatively powerful, is that they require 'caster' units and heroes to use them and they become dead once those disks are dead. The problem with this, is that sometimes that isn't much of a cost. This is particularly so when most factions have some hero (frequently a durable hero even) that would be used even if they weren't casters (what orc list wouldn't use Azhag if he stopped being a caster?). Also, at the moment, having any caster, gives you access to -all- spells.

-If it isn't a heavy cost to include casters, then it's not a good idea to give that faction a powerful spell as it'll quickly become as much an auto-include as Shield of Saphery. So as long as these powerful spells can be cast without any concessions to your army you can't release spells that are that much stronger than a command card in that slot without it being a balance issue that kills the potential for variety.

If you want to work around this and expand the spell casting, I think there are a couple things that might be done. One option would be to make more spell cards that are more specific in which caster can cast them (for instance, how powerful could you make a Chaos Spell if it required you to use sorcerers to cast it?). Another option would be to make the spell effects powerful but dependent on having an odd or less ideal army setup. For instance, maybe if there was a high elf spell that allowed you to empower all infantry units in short range of a caster, that would not be an auto-include in most current high elf armies (where you'd be far more interested in empowering your Sun Dragon or Silver Helms, or any other specific disk within medium range) but which could potentially be very powerful but requires a different army style, and might even make a high elf army focused more around small melee units more viable.

On a very related note: I think that in general it'd be nice if the decision for command cards was made more interesting for more slots in most armies and a good idea to evaluate new cards based on how they compete with other options for that slot. Destruction armies in particular I find have an interesting question of taking Intimidate vs Eager Troops and Chaos gets another interesting option in Acquiescence. On the other hand, Strength of Gork, though not a bad or uninteresting card (I'd say comparable to an empower easily) just gets too overshadowed. Not saying that every card slot for every faction ought to be that competitive but it'd be nice if there was more of that. Also, some factions could use something that competes on even terms with the basic empower cards for some slots. Dwarves in particular I think could use another devious card that is generally more practical than Spelleater Rune (I wouldn't run this card even if it didn't require Runesmiths) as otherwise I imagine that all dwarf armies will always be running Lure unless they run entrap.

So while I'm at it, unit types:

-I'd really like the vampire counts to get access to a more durable defensive style of infantry, poison, and other things to help their style work better.

-I'd like the Dwarves to get something that helps them take out larger enemies (their army is custom tailored to taking out average level enemies so incredibly efficiently but most armies in the game are focused around the big disks).

-An actual full army for all the single regiment races would be awesome of course.

I like the ideas that can come out from here...

First spell cards (maybe american-mini size) would be a great adition to the game. Depending on the level of the wizard (caster) you could use as mani as your level and value of the cards lets you a level 3 could use any number of cards that will reache that level. Also there should be magic specific for certain factions and magic with a global use in the game. About the magic I believe it should work in two forms. The same way it works now, and being able to use a spell (just one) of the aveilable that shoul have a mechanic to work similar to the dice mechanic, and even adding new dices if needed. Success it works, failure... you missed, or even have a bad taste with a misfortune.

Second you could also release mini cards for the other comanders based on their "skills" (warrior, defender, assassin, monster, etc...) and you can also use them instead of an action. And tis would give the game an even more tactical aproach.

I think that would be fantastic. Great ideas there!!

Also I like the comments for Vampires and Dwarfs.

As for the rest. I really think it would be great to have more expansions. I believe the best would be 3 expansions for the next "wave", and I would love to see Skavens, Wood Elves and Dark Elves:

Skavens; because they seemed for the little we have seen from the Vampire Counts expansion really fun to play and full of options. Also Iklit seemed like a pretty good wizard and the only one as far as I remember with long reach instead of medium. I believe this could be made into a really interesting faction.

Wood Elves: I really liked the dancers, they seem a really good disk to have into account, also drycha and dryads seem like a good convination. This faction could have not only another good dragon, but also ENTS XD!! Also an Orion disk might be really interesting.

Dark Elves: High Elves need to be defiled here... I´m expecting Morathi and Malekith like a bad rain!! Also this faction can not only have another dragon, but many more creatures and really dangerous elves.

Also I would do an expansion where they could bring into game the mini cards I said before (magic and skills) and some more disks like mercenaries and more heroes for the factions since I would love to have more for this game:

Vampire Counts: Vlad Von Carstein (which is picted in the box, but not a heroe there) & Krell.

Caos: Epidemius, Throgg & Sigvald.

Empire: Valten & Balthasar Gelt.

High Elves: Prince Imrik, Korhil & Alith Anar

Orks: Grumlok/Gazbag & Skarsnik

Skavens: Thanquol/Boneripper & Tretch

Wood Elves: The Sisters

Dwarfs: Ungrim, Belegar & Grimm Burloksson

Lizard Men: Skink & Lord Kroak

Dark Elves: Hellbron & Shadowblade.

About the Mercenaries: Gotrek & Felix, and maybe some characters from Mordheim (there are a few ones), and Ogres.

And don´t forget about all the mages of the empire.

Also factions missing: Bretonnia / Ogre Kingdoms / Tombkings... and I believe that Beastmen are going to be inside the Chaos faction.