Duplicates - real noob question

By Rich J, in Rules Questions

Hi

Ok I am being thick probably but can't figure out how duplicates work really - I get you can put them on cards, can't marshall them if you have a copy in the dead pile etc but can't see how they 'save' - unless it is as easy as just the top card gets 'killed' leaving the other in play as is.

Please enlighten me :)

Cheers

Mechanically, you just remove the attached duplicate, throw it in the discard pile, and leave the original in play as it was.

To back that up. Save (rulebook p. 18) "When a card is saved from an effect that attempts to remove that card from play, the card remains in play as the effect resolves and is not considered to have been killed, discarded, or otherwise removed from play by the effect."

And duplicates (rulebook p. 7). "A duplicate grants its controller the following triggered game ability: Interrupt: When the overlapping unique card would leave play, discard this duplicate to save that card."

So it's not the original that gets killed, it's the duplicate (and it's not killed, but discarded), but otherwise you had it down.

Cheers - was just completely managing to miss the text by trying to read pdfs and not actually using the real booklets !

Related question: Can you play duplicate Locations as well or no?

You can play duplicates on any unique card.

The duplicate mechanic is tied to the "unique" characteristic, not to any particular card type.

You can play duplicates on any unique card.

The duplicate mechanic is tied to the "unique" characteristic, not to any particular card type.

Thank you. Just wanted to confirm. My also-new opponent was incredulous.

it's right in the RRG:

Duplicates
A player may use additional copies, by title, of any
unique card
(indicated by a “” symbol in its title) he
or she owns and controls in play as duplicates. When
a card enters play as a duplicate, it is placed faceup,
overlapped by (i.e. partially visible beneath) the copy of
the card that was already in play.
A duplicate grants its controller the following triggered
game ability: “Interrupt: When the overlapping unique
card would leave play, discard this duplicate to save that
card. (Cannot be canceled.)”

Given that it continuously references "card" instead of "character" it seems obvious that it's not just limited to one type of card.