When do you think we will hear from FFG?

By ericmackcarter, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

It's been pretty silent on the FFG front, as far as I have seen. But surely Gen Con 2017 won't be the first we hear about the new stories of Rokugan, the mechanics of the game, the major setting changes, etc.

So when do you think FFG will begin the hype?

Edited by ericmackcarter

So we do you think FFG will begin the hype?

Edited by Kakita Shiro

So when do you think FFG will begin the hype?

When they have some ready.

Gen Con 2016

I assume we hear the initial design ideas at GenCon, then a lot of changing that for a couple months, and a definitive "this is what we're doing" by December.

I would say a few months, at least, before we see anything definitive.

I expect some sort of demo available at Gen*Con 2016 to evaluate where there are at with the design. They did something similar with Star Wars LCG (and I know they are glad they did because they changed the game a lot before its release a year later).

On 10/23/2015 at 5:00 PM, Shiba Gunichi said:

Edited by ericmackcarter

When they have some ready.

Well, yeah.

Mind you, I'm not even talking about spoilers or card preview. I'm talking ANY word from FFG along the lines of, "Here is our vision for L5R. Here's what we like, here's what we don't like."

GenCon 2016 seems like it would be a huge mistake before comminicating with the community.

GenCon 2016 could simply serve as a way to get early feedback for the product before the Gencon 2017 release. It wouldn't surprise me if there was an article or two before Gencon as a quick tease.

Mind you, I'm not even talking about spoilers or card preview. I'm talking ANY word from FFG along the lines of, "Here is our vision for L5R. Here's what we like, here's what we don't like."

It takes a few months to figure all that out, in a "we know the direction we want to head" sense. Knowing what you dont like is easy, knowing how to address it in a way that will work is a bit different.

Put me down for the we'll hear something at GenCon 2016 camp.

I wouldn't count on hearing anything that will inform you of anything concrete until that GenCon mark. You may get a few cursory things here and there until then, but don't expect them to be highly substantive.

Typically leading up to release FFG does preview of game mechanics and factions. Look at how they did Conquest LCG for an idea of what to expect. The only difference here is we know way in advance because of the way it was announced about the sale by AEG. That is not the norm and usually people do not know products are even coming until they are announced usually about 3 months prior to release for most products but can be longer with brand new game releases.

Edited by Toqtamish

I'm sure, at the very least, they'll have something for GenCon 2016. They have to know they're going to get peppered with inquiries. If nothing playable information for what they have planned for the coming year.

They could also say... Sorry, no game from us at least. We've just bough IP to eliminate competition on LCG market. Ciao.

They could also say... Sorry, no game from us at least. We've just bough IP to eliminate competition on LCG market. Ciao.

L5R wasn't LCG competition. Unless there was a plan to make an L5R LCG from AEG?

Except we know for a fact they are making a LCG.

L5R wasn't LCG competition. Unless there was a plan to make an L5R LCG from AEG?

The idea was floated multiple times in the past few years mostly from fans of the game that didn't like the CCG release model or the particular rarity scheme AEG was using. But I am sure nothing like that was ever officially even hinted at, let alone announced. Heck AEG only hinted at an online version, and only to say they were not accepting solicitations from folks to create such things.

I would be very disappointed if the first taste was AFTER Gen Con 2016. If that much time passes, I think FFG runs the risk of losing too much of the existing player base to other things. Though, admittedly I would not expect anything more than an overview of play, with maybe some early sampling of cards (probably nothing physical, not full production cards anyway), and possibly a run down on how distribution is going to work. With an outside chance of having an early "state of the world" setup fiction. If L5R gets half of that list by GenCon 2016, I would (personally) be happy. All of it would be worth somersaults and backflips.

Let's quote John Zinser (AEG CEO):

John Zinser dodał 15 nowych zdjęć.

9 godz. ·

Epic Trip Day 39 Part 3- Awesome people and a hard farewell- Well I knew this night was coming but it was still very hard. I was very sad at the timing of the L5R deal that I was not able to say anything to the players and my friends at Gencon. We had just decided that we would be changing L5R to an ECG/LCG format before Gencon and so the Gencon event was disrupted and not quite the 20th celebration I had hoped it would be but we did not know the FF deal was an option at that time. As usual Manolis Trahiotis and the Greek team have thrown a great party and the L5R players here, many who will be lifelong friends because of this crazy game, have been warm and kind in the face of the unknown. I was asked to give a quick speech and I muddled through. There is not much you can say more than thank you to the people who allowed you to be such a big part of their life and who loved the thing you created so much that it changed your life. I owe so much to this community and to these awesome people and I hope that the friendships that have bonded through AEG's time with L5R will last well beyond the 20 years we were honored to be supported while we got to do what we love. Besides my wonderful family, L5R and the people who play it is the thing that has shaped and enriched my life more than any other thing. I will miss the late nights and long days planning what happens next but I am also thankful for the opportunity to forge a new path and take on new adventures.

Thank you all

Z

Kempy is correct in what Zinser said. I can confirm that post-GenCon the DT were told that we should begin planning to make L5R an in-house LCG/ECG, similar to Doomtown. Early preparations for that were under discussion when we found out about the FFG deal, which was shortly before everyone else did.

Wasn't public knowledge though, so IF that was FFG's intention, how would they of even known?

And even then, why would they then create a subforum on their own forums? :P

Wasn't public knowledge though, so IF that was FFG's intention, how would they of even known?

Rumors say that John Z during Gencon asked FFG about some tips and help with format because they want to change L5R into LCG. Then, after event, FFG decided to try to buy it from AEG and as we all see - they succeded.

And even then, why would they then create a subforum on their own forums?

You know, every project can be cancelled at any moment.

Rumors say that John Z during Gencon asked FFG about some tips and help with format because they want to change L5R into LCG. Then, after event, FFG decided to try to buy it from AEG and as we all see - they succeded.

But I mean from a logical point of view. If that was their intention, surely they'd want to shuffle it away quietly, rather than make a big announcement that they were going to make an LCG of it.

I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next man, but I think given ffg's behaviour so far, it is highly unlikely (albeit not impossible) for them to be deliberately removing l5r as competition.

I'm confused what your purpose here is. We know the LCG is coming. Be excited. Not paranoid.