What rpg system to use with this book?

By ldodt, in The Worlds of Android

An Android RPG game is something I've been waiting for. I might get this book and use it for a setting guide for some of my other rpg's like shadowrun, cyberpunk or eclipse phase. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what rpg system they would use?

I would recommend Savage Worlds, specifically look for their cyberpunk source book 'Interface Zero 2.0'.

Was first thinking BRP, but now I think Shadowrun could work, maybe having some limited psychic powers using the magic system...

After looking at Interface Zero 2.0 on Drivethru RPG, I think I am going to pick up a copy and use that... seems closer to the Android world... I have Savage Worlds Explorers edition, I don't need to upgrade to the new deluxe version for the core rules do I?

No, it should be ok using the explorers edition. All of the differences between the two are available as a free PDF anyway.

I am thinking R. Talsrian Games Cyberpunk 2020 2nd Edition. It is on DriveThruRPG.

Was first thinking BRP, but now I think Shadowrun could work, maybe having some limited psychic powers using the magic system...

To be honest, I play Shadowrun 5th with my friends, altogether the world and the setting is awesome, but the game mechanics is very slow. If I, as GM give the team a fight encounter with around 4-5 enemies, most of the time it takes 40-60 minutes just for the fight to finish. The hacker rules are interesting, but the overall Shadowrun ruleset is just not that fast paced as Netrunner should be and also not so easy to learn for the "role-playing virgins".

How about GURPS, or Wizards D20 systems?

Interface Zero 2.0 for Savage Worlds has already been mentioned, but I am a bit more of a FATE guy. That being said, Interface Zero 2.0 for FATE is being Kickstarted right now. The Savage Worlds edition was great and the hardcover versions I got from backing the original are fantastic. You can't go wrong. If you want FATE however, you have to kickstart it first. Go here to do that: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/821979583/interface-zero-fate-edition?ref=discovery

I would also recommend Interface Zero 2.0.

Yeah, I picked up Interface Zero 2.0, now just waiting for this to come out: did they mention a date yet? I see it's on the ship.

Has anybody tried the GUMSHOE rules? It looks like they were designed for investigation type games.

EDIT: I just picked up Ashen Stars from DriveThruRPG. I really like the way they cover investigation. I will use these ideas in my game. There is good insight into setting up and running investigations.

The single D6 roll for task resolution did not give the granular steps in difficulty I like. I like the percentile die rolls the best as it is easy to convert difficulty to a percentage chance. The d20 is 5% per digit so you can do some simple arithmetic to get percentage difficulty. I do like the FFG Star Wars dice as well. I don't even try to figure percentage in those rolls. O.o

I won't be using the GUMSHOE system, but I am glad I read through the investigation section in it.

Edited by Torg Smith

Looking to use the gumshoe system, probably ashen stars, but I will be playing for a change not running it.

No, it should be ok using the explorers edition. All of the differences between the two are available as a free PDF anyway.

Link to that please?

Also, supposedly by the time Cyberpunk 2077 releases we should be seeing a new Cyberpunk RPG. I'm hoping I like it, because I might shift to it from Shadowrun and Interface Zero when it comes out.

(got my book, it's lovely)

(using Interface Zero 2.0 with it for the time being)

But dammit, I want an official RPG.

Edited by Deathseed

I've got a ton of various cyberpunk rpgs, but just flipping through Interface Zero 2.0 would put it as the closest out-of-the-box match to the Worlds of Android setting.

Beautiful book - Worlds of Android, that is. Amazingly well done.

I plan on using Fate Core with this. Fate's versatility is unmatched and I have no need to adapt from someone else's take on cyberpunk rules.

I suppose if you wanted to focus your games solely on investigation, like the Android board game, the Gumshoe system may be a good choice.

I've played Shadowrun since 1989 and love the original game world from the 2050's. That said, I've been wanting to play an RPG set in the Android universe since I first got the board game. Reading the novels only increased that desire. The Worlds of Android should finally allow me to do so, once I find enough players that are familiar enough with the setting.

I plan on using Fate Core with this. Fate's versatility is unmatched and I have no need to adapt from someone else's take on cyberpunk rules.

Fate Core will do nicely. The Fate version of Interface Zero is coming out shortly, which might give you some Fate-specific chrome to incorporate.

I have used Savage Worlds - Interface Zero for the adventure I have written for this game, it works quite well in the main, just need to tweak here and there some of the lingo. (I never got to play so had to write my own just for the fix)

Edited by FatPob

Interface Zero/ Savage Worlds sounds like a solid option ... but I'll go for Fate Accelerated. My system of choice these days.

I'll add my two creds, and yes: another one for Savage worlds Interface Zero. (2.0)

I think you can make just about every character from the game in IZ.

Noise = Human 2.0

Adam = Android

etc.

I'My Android drone jockey is actually a rogue AI that has uploaded itself into an android body and views it as just another drone, and much rather stay in cyberspace. (Addiction: virtual reality)

I'll add my two creds, and yes: another one for Savage worlds Interface Zero. (2.0)

I think you can make just about every character from the game in IZ.

Noise = Human 2.0

Adam = Android

etc.

I'My Android drone jockey is actually a rogue AI that has uploaded itself into an android body and views it as just another drone, and much rather stay in cyberspace. (Addiction: virtual reality)

Yeah IZ 2.0 is the best general fit right now that I've seen requiring only minor alterations to fit.

On the subject, I asked FFG about a RPG for Android and got the expected non-confirming, non-committal answer that neither confirms nor denies any such thing in the works.

I wouldn't have been able to say so even if they were because I made it clear I would not share such information. But as the answer is the expected non-answer, I can tell you that much :P

My two creds worth...

I agree that interface Zero 2.0 on Savage Worlds would be the best fit and FATE Core would be awesome for the more narrative-inclined GM. I would also recommend an old setting from the now-defunct Big Eye Small Mouth (BESM) RPG, Ex Machina using the Tri-Stat system.

Anybody heard of or thought of using this system?

Looking to use the gumshoe system, probably ashen stars, but I will be playing for a change not running it.

I'm working with the Gumshoe system as well. Looking to port many concepts over from Night's Black Agents.