Winner dies, loser retreats???

By mitchiemasha, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

There's a few instances a territory is forcibly vacated, left empty to both attacker and defender. My question is, what happens to the territory?

We currently play... If no power token had previously been placed, the territory returns to neutral. If the defender had already placed a power token, the territory remains theirs.

Reasoning, the attacker didn't survive to claim the land.

Or... Can a retreating player still place a power token in the territory.

Or... Can the dead attacking player claim the land.

Or... Does the territory return to neutral, regardless.

Or even, which I seriously doubt... If the winner dies does the loser still have to retreat.

There's probably a few more options that I can't think off right now but are we playing it right???

RULEBOOK, PAGE 24:

Important: A player may only establish control when vacating an area with a March Order. Events that would leave an area vacant (such as negative effects from a Wildling victory) does not permit a player to establish control after the last unit is destroyed.

FAQ, PAGE 3

Q: At what point does the winner of a combat exert control over the embattled area?

A: Control over an area does not change hands until all stages of combat are completed. In the case of a completely emptied area, at no point of time during the combat would the area be considered controlled by the attacker (and so would not count towards his victory condition).

So we played it right? thank you.