Help please

By Niz114row, in Black Crusade Game Masters

Hi new GM looking for advice.

I'd like some help coming up with ideas to continue my BC campaign. As I. New to the whole GMing thing I'm stuck for ideas for what to do next. Quick summary of the situation is the characters have just taken over messia and the hollows in quick succession. They're a smart bunch of experienced players who use every rule and I mean every rule. I want the next campaign they do to be challenging but I'm struggling so I'm turning to the internet for help.

If they ever crossed someone, like someone who wants to and can get back at them. You can use that.

i.e. have that faction screw them over by capturing the players and dumping them on Saint Annard's Pennance (Hand of Corruption).

(Don't use the last 3rd act though, it is highly unbalanced and breaks theme)

'tis what I did to my group and it presented them with a lot of challenges now that their wargear and support was gone.

They had screwed over a Dark Eldar Archon and he took revenge by ambushing them, disabling them and dumping them on the Imperial planet.

It went really well, with the players infiltrating the prison and inserting themselves among the populace.

They discovered the ritual to pull the world into the Vortex, agreed to try it, and then failed spectacularly when the Khorne worshipper claimed the skull of the Warden.

From then on out it was an open corruption fest/prisoner uprising and Plague Zombie apocalypse.

Fun was had by all.

The assassination mission is always a fun one. Separate the characters enough that the first hits land without help but close enough they can run to each other for help.

Interesting but who could I have them assassinate, what planet would they be on. What Race, faction or warband are they from, what reason would the players have to assassinate them? I like the idea but our next game is tomorrow and I have literally nothing for them to do.

Edited by Niz114row

Those are all good questions, and things you should answer on your own.

Is there a particular goal any character is after, then killing this person gets them closer to that goal.

If in doubt just make up a planet, it's 40k there's plenty of them especially in the warp.

Depending how mean you want to be, knock them down several pegs or two. No matter how powerful you think you are, there is ALWAYS someone who will be more powerful than you. The players have, by the sounds of it, achieved a good victory but no great victory goes without somebody noticing. Your question now is whom?

Do you want to put them against a rival warlord who, seeing their victory intends to take it for themselves? Chaos can fight amongst itself for power so you have the option of a rival lord throwing his assets at theirs trying to steal an easy gain. Perhaps the agents of the Inquisition have taken notice and they will be put into conflict with the God Emperors best and brightest.

I somewhat prefer my second option as it gives you as a GM chance to bring in some really nasty units which they may not necessarily be expecting from outside the core rules such as Adeptus Sororitas, Officio Assassinorum operatives, Ordo Malleus etc. Depending how skilled they are as characters and their talents etc as well as the scale of the victory they achieved and what they now own then this would be an exceptional test. Use the stats of supporting characters from the Dark Heresy 2 book line and you have some really dangerous potential adversaries. Remember to customise and tweak a few to stand out as special characters.

A powerfull warlord summons them, he is planning an attack on a human colony in the koronus expanse and is rallying powerfull characters to help him. The colony (or group of colonies) is under the control of a rogue trader.

During the voyage the players' ship is attacked by an imperial cruiser, after a small skirmish the imperials launch boarding torpedoes and then escape. At first the torpedoes seem to be empty so the players resume their voyage, but then gruesome murders start to happen, ship systems are sabotaged etc. The torpedoes brought on the ship 1, 2 or more eversor assassins!

Now they have to deal with them before they become victims, meanwhile protecting the ship or risking to be stranded or worst explode in the void. Who betrayed them to te imperium? The warlord summon was just a trap or others are responsable?

Stat out a DH acolyte team using the same xp totals that your players have. Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition!

Have them be the targets. If they've literally taken over two worlds, have a rival team of heretics trying to take over them in turn - let them see the effects (sabotage, riots, etc) but they've got to figure out who's doing it, how and why.

Bonus cookies if you can successfully use the exact same tricks they used to take over the hollows on them .