casual: what to do with edition 1?

By phyrexiantrader, in General Discussion

Hello,

We have the first edition core box of this game. In our family, we just like to play a lot of different games, so we are certainly not playing this game frequently. To add some variation, we were planning to buy an expansion in the future. But now I see that there is completely new edition.

So, what does this mean for us? We can't buy new expansion for the old version? Can we still buy expansions for the old version? Maybe they will be cheaper now??

I'm ok with easier rules, because it's quiet confusing sometimes, but to buy the game again and throw away the old one, that is not what we expected when buying the game.

So, my question, what to do?

You could sell the first edition for funds for second edition. Since you play only casually and occasionally the second edition would be good you get 8 house decks which you merge two together giving 28 possible combinations. So you'll not need to worry about variation for a while.

However equally viable option is buying the Martel and greyjoy deluxe boxes for the first edition to add two new house decks giving you a total of 6. However the issue with this is comparing to the 4 core set houses the new two would be more powerful and consistant decks. There is a great guide on 6 balanced decks for the first edition but you need 2 core sets and the two delux boxes I mentioned. For the first edition that was all I bought and it was far far better than playing with just the core set.

Tldr: I'm beginning to rant, new edition will add a lot of variation. Or buy the Martel / greyjoy delux boxes for first edition

You could sell the first edition for funds for second edition.

Sell to whom, though?

If you play only casually and weren't planning to continually buy new stuff and tweak the game every month or two, there is no reason that you should do anything different with the First Edition game/cards that you have. Over the next few months, buy a few of the big box (House Specific) expansions on the cheap as stores liquidate their inventory. Then simply play with the cards you have. You weren't really going to be taking advantage of buying new cards as they came out anyway, and you don't have many cards from the 8-year history of the game, so you're not going to be changing your experience much by making your purchases "backward" in time instead of forward.

Contrary to popular belief, version 1.0 has not become unplayable with the release of 2.0. It just means that there will be no more new cards printed for it. If you weren't planning on buying many new cards as a casual player anyway, that's probably not going to be a problem.

sacrifice to R'hllor?

I'll echo the others: just keep it and play with it, maybe picking up some expansions cheaply.

I have a complete set of first edition cards that I only play casually with. There's a HUGE amount of game there, so I don't feel the need to buy the second edition right away, if ever.

Hello,

We have the first edition core box of this game. In our family, we just like to play a lot of different games, so we are certainly not playing this game frequently. To add some variation, we were planning to buy an expansion in the future. But now I see that there is completely new edition.

So, what does this mean for us? We can't buy new expansion for the old version? Can we still buy expansions for the old version? Maybe they will be cheaper now??

I'm ok with easier rules, because it's quiet confusing sometimes, but to buy the game again and throw away the old one, that is not what we expected when buying the game.

So, my question, what to do?

My local store is clearing all its 1e stock at half price. Obviously that's no good to you unless that's also your local store, but I mention it to illustrate the fact that many stores will likely be clearing out their 1e stock given it's no longer current. It might be worth having a look round online.

Sure, there's "a lot of game still left in 1.0", but ...

While I have two 1.0 sets and four big box expansions, I bought 2.0 because it's simply a better game than 1.0. So while some may ask why a casual player would want to give up 1.0 for 2.0, my answer (as a casual player) is because 2.0 is simply better.

Which leaves me looking to find a market for my 1.0, which at this point I'm sure is rapidly dwindling.

My group has turned 1.0 strictly into a draft game, and that's fun so far

Which leaves me looking to find a market for my 1.0, which at this point I'm sure is rapidly dwindling.

Heh. Irony.