SOTG October 2009

By FFGSteve, in UFS General Discussion

Welcome to the state of the game for October 2009. A somewhat quiet month but there are a few things to cover, so lets get started.

First up the pre release for set 14 will be held on the weekend of November 20, 21, 22. Find full details here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=861
make sure your store does not miss out.
Next up is store championships, the deadline to sign up is October 23rd. Make sure your store signs up before it is to late. Details can be found here:
To help people who are coming back to the game catch up, we have a new Fight life kit available next week from our web store. It includes one display of Soulcalibur boosters, one display of ShadoWar boosters, two copies of The Devil Within promo card, two copies of Heir to the Storm promo card, two copies of power of the Edge, and two copies of Clash of the Ages promo card. All for only $49.95 plus shipping, retailers who wish to order please contact Rick Nauertz at: [email protected]
I know there are problems with the tournament software, we are working to have a new version ready by early next year.
No bans or errata this month.
That’s about it for this month, short and sweet. James will start previews. Oh yea my Mitsurugi deck is still wreaking house!
See you in the arena,
Steve

Wowza, those are nice character spoils for SCIV2 = wowza.

Thank you as per always, I am very excited!!!

Edit - power of the edge is legal as soon as those fight night kits are sent... right???

- dut (Garett)

dutpotd said:

Wowza, those are nice character spoils for SCIV2 = wowza.

Thank you as per always, I am very excited!!!

- dut (Garett)

OMGosh, Sophitia has fire and Order. Really? With all that stun access, she's gonna be faster than Cassie! The first abilitiy may pay-off too.

Yeong-Seong will surely see play. Poop, poor Lizardman might just be a little too predicatable for his own good though.

P.S. Steve, it says the deadline to order is in August. gran_risa.gif

On the spoiled characters:

Yun-Seong: Loves himself some Castle Twilight. We might just have our first Wind player. He can also do some dumb things with Communing with the Ancients, a la Float Like a Butterfly and his older self. I could also see the use of Weapon tech, and Relentless for massive draw power. Hell, Finacial Troubles plus Over the Shoulder will be pretty bad.

Lizardman: Wow. This could be interesting, though I think it will suffer as more Low blocks appear. Paid to Protect, Man Behind the Mask, Enemies Now Friends, will all see massive play with him. Throw in some Wipe the Floor, and Maliki+Keep them Down off Void, and Discard will be his name. Unfortunately, I think people will be able to simply hold Low Blocks against him, and keep him neutered fairly well.

Sophitia: Gee, love affair with Fire much. Talk about synergy. Pauls Gi and Toughest in the Universe will be auto includes in her decks. Mix things like Knightbreaker Combo, and Dragon Flame, and she will be super fast. If Paid to Protect (or other speed hate) does not make it into the prize support rotation soon, we will see her rocket to top tier very quickly. Not to mention the defensive capabilities. Any amount of damage boosting will be met with similar speed redux, allowing her to attacks to 0 speed after 3-4 enhances that commit as a cost. Persevering Despite Rejection might just see some serious play. Life might also see some interest. Yi Shan's Tiger Claw becomes at least a 5H5 with its own stun. Gut Drill becomes a 6M4 as well, as a reversal.

Overall, I think this Soul Calibur set will yet again expand the symbol disparity, though we may see some better things out of symbols that have not seen much play, like Water and Air. Life might see an affinity with Fire that could be very dangerous. And Yun-Seong had better have some form of momentum shielding, else he will just run around in circles until his opponant can burn down his below average HP.

-Tinman

Tinman said:

Overall, I think this Soul Calibur set will yet again expand the symbol disparity, though we may see some better things out of symbols that have not seen much play, like Water and Air. Life might see an affinity with Fire that could be very dangerous. And Yun-Seong had better have some form of momentum shielding, else he will just run around in circles until his opponant can burn down his below average HP.

-Tinman

Keep in mind the symbols on these characters have nothing to do with the support in the set... These are promo characters, the SCIV equivalent of the Fury, Fox, and Heiachi release and will not come with their own support in this set.

- dut

Oh my god let's give fire MORE stuff! MORE commit effects, MORE DEFENSE! DEFENSE! Seriously, who the hell in their right mind gives the supposed most offensive symbol, which already has the three best defensive cards in the game (Stand Off, P2P and Valk' Shield), MORE FRICKEN DEFENSE!? Yes I know I make fun of capital letters, but seriously? James Hata, stop giving fire all the good support. You know, it wouldn't kill you to actually balance out this game.

Yea the deadline is November 13th, sorry about that.

Steve

ROTBI said:

P.S. Steve, it says the deadline to order is in August. gran_risa.gif

OMG I LOVE STEVE AND JAMES....

You guys don't know how long I've waited for a new Yun Seong... I know what I am playing for the next two years...
Oh and please tell me you guys are making a new circling wing or bird of prey (even though there is no bop in SCIV) and make order more playable...

I was playing SCIV today and was using Yun-Seong a lot. This character makes me happy :D Awesome Mitsurugi AND awesome Yun-Seong? Yes please :D Steve and James, y'all are made of win.

How do we get setup with b2b. I've been trying to find out but I found no links. My store owner is a bit out of the loop on things. So the b2b stuff makes it harder on me as the scout. Is there anyway for me to get around this. There are a lot of good cards being offered I would like to get to my players but man it seems I'm locked out of this.

That fight kit is actuaclly pretty awesome, two boxes for $50 and it comes with those promos? Wish I still needed stuff from those sets. When do these promos become legal?

Because what Fire really needed is a character that could take advantage of Paul stuff by giving itself speed buffs of ridiculous proportions.

If there's nothing in the set that kills Stun or Speed buff, GG tournament season.

I think this is the first set I'm honestly DREADING.

What happen to pushing the pre-release into the First week of December as in the September SOTG.

iceman01 said:

At Gen Con I talked about set 14, Soulcalibur IV, releasing in October. With the renewed interest in the game and returning players rushing to catch up with set 12 and the excitement surrounding set 13 we have decided to release it the first week of December instead.

I think the above is/was refering to being 'released' the first week of December, prerelease is always a week or two before the 'real' release date. Nov 20th is 10 days or a week and a half before the first week in December, I'm not so sure you could quote any inconsistencies between what we knew SOTG Sept and SOTG Oct.

- dut

You're thinking in the wrong symbol for Sophitia. I'd say Life. Re-readying Keeper of the Watchers is win.

guitalex2008 said:

You're thinking in the wrong symbol for Sophitia. I'd say Life. Re-readying Keeper of the Watchers is win.

I gotta go with Hatman on this one, bro. The first thing I saw was fire stuns (dragon lifter, execution tehnique first rite, anything of Paul's etc.) and then I wept at a free speed boost on top of whatever else they might want to commit for abilities. Stand-off likes her too.

New Lizardman is yay.

King's Reverse DDT as a Reversal.

Genius Alchemist to make your reversal not count to progressive so you can block.

Frantic Search and Fatherly Love to draw

Ice Coffin of the Sleeping Ancient for speed pump

Ka Technique for blanking

Undispute Ruler to stop powerful/multiple

Enemies now Friends for reversal magic

Spinning Demon

Man Behind the Mask

War Between Sisters

Razor's Bite to make it all go off.

Yep....new Lizardman is kinda good.

Yeah truthfully I'm now officially dreading this set, as Sophita will be able to push anything through without a thought.

The real reason you are going to hate this set is cause im going to have a YS to play with... and you know my history of the things I've done with YS.... just take a look at my tag...

Im also a big fan of Sophitia. They have released I tap one you tap one abilities, but nothing like this before. Her speed pump is awesome when used in conjunction with stun, her E, if they negate stand off etc, and best of all she looks good. Win win win in my boook

No bans eh?

Mmhmm

sir_shajir said:

The real reason you are going to hate this set is cause im going to have a YS to play with... and you know my history of the things I've done with YS.... just take a look at my tag...

There better be a crappy character with a bad symbol spread. That's the only way I can actually do something with a character and then the planets have to be aligned with Satan and I have to build the deck exactly one week before the event.

I am guessing either no one noticed that they unvield all the new characters or no one cared enough to mention it but they were all listed on that prerelease news.

Mitsurugi, Taki, Xianghua, Amy, and Yoshimitsu are going to be our five new characters! I was suprised and sad that there is no Maxi. At least we have Promo Kilik :)

I'm just hoping they bring something out to deal with speed pumps. I know it's been said a million times, but that's the only thing I really see being a problem right now. PoTM is bad enough, but damage alone does not win this game. it's the speed pumps behind it that make it good. Look at Ivy, one Cross Madness get's through and all of her ping damage becomes auto hits with the speed boost. Then throw a PoTM on a Gnome and GG. I'm also hoping they do something with the symbol spread. Water is my favorite symbol to play, but it has nothing right now. Unfortunately I don't think it will get any better any time soon. Viewing past sets they seem to focus one one or two symbols in one set, then one or two others in the other set (This was when we were getting two sets per release). SCIV and Shadowar gave us FIRE and LIFE, I guess you could throw DEATH in there too. Then Tekken focused on VOID and DEATH, and ALL if you really consider Christie support useful right now. But she does have water and that's what worries me. Seeing that makes me think that water will see little to no support in SCIV2, Same with GOOD and ORDER.

Sol Badguy said:

I am guessing either no one noticed that they unvield all the new characters or no one cared enough to mention it but they were all listed on that prerelease news.

Mitsurugi, Taki, Xianghua, Amy, and Yoshimitsu are going to be our five new characters! I was suprised and sad that there is no Maxi. At least we have Promo Kilik :)

Oh well, at least there's Yoshimitsu I may want to build.