Corpus Conversion?

By princeearwig, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

First off.. where is the talent in RTPsi?

It's not in the list of talents..

Also if you take the conversion rules as written AND use the errata'ed version of the talent.. Does anyone else think that an average Psyker with a WP of 50 (I consider that average by the time they've gotten Corpus Coversion) being able to get +25% to their Focus Power test up to 5 times! is a bit broke?

This assumes that a +1d10 will provide an average of +5 to your power roll. I suppose you could roll your Corpus Coversion dice and then add the converted actual total to your Focus power test, but that means a +25% to 250% bonus.

Sure I realise that the errata as written means "Permanent Toughness damage" but that's still an average potential +125% to your skill roll.

I admit I may have missed something :) , have only had the book a few days (UK based got it on Wednesday)

ps. For any without the book to hand the conversion rules state that anything that gives you a +1 to your power roll equates to a +5% to your Focus Power Test.

Since the psyker system in RT is totally different to the one in DH, I guess they left it out because it isn't needed, especially when Astropaths don't work like Sanctioned Psykers.

It seems to me that they beefed up powers for lower ranks and nerfed it a little for later ranks, I know our Sanctioned Pyro started out for the first couple months of play very weak in a fight but by the end of the game, turn one BOOM almost everything dead unless it had good resistances.

RT seemed to redo the rules and balance them alot more, but thats at a glance, we will see in a couple months after the game has been going a while.

MILLANDSON said:

Since the psyker system in RT is totally different to the one in DH, I guess they left it out because it isn't needed, especially when Astropaths don't work like Sanctioned Psykers.

I know they are different but I am looking at the possibilities using the converting one system to the other sidebar on page 172. But in the use of those rules as written Corpus Conversion becomes a bit overly ridiculous. To that end I assumed they would have clarified its use or replaced it with a RT version of the same talent.

I looked at the conversion notes, and then decided to go the other way around in converting a couple of the talents in DH, working from the apparent intended end result and working backwards to mimic the spirit of the talent rather than the precise effects.

Corpus Conversion

When pushing a Psychic Technique, you may choose to take 1d10 Toughness damage per point of additional Psy Rating used in exchange for reducing the modifier applied to the Psychic Phenomena roll. The cost of each additional point of Psy Rating may be mixed and matched freely - if Sanctioned, you could, for example, when pushing for +3 Psy Rating, suffer 1d10 Toughness damage and roll on the Psychic Phenomena table with a +10 bonus, or you could take 3d10 Toughness damage and roll on the Psychic Phenomena Table without a modifier for additional Psy Rating used.

Discipline Focus

Talent Group: Biomancy, Divination, Pyromancy, Telekinesis, Telepathy

You gain a +10 bonus on Focus Power tests with powers and techniques from the chosen Discipline. You may purchase this talent multiple times, picking a different Discipline each time.

Power Well

You gain a +5 bonus on all Focus Power tests. This talent may be purchased multiple times, and its effects are cumulative.

Psychic Supremacy

Talent Group: Biomancy, Divination, Pyromancy, Telekinesis, Telepathy

Prerequisite: Psy Rating 5 and Discipline Focus for the chosen Discipline.

When attempting to use a power at the Fettered Strength, you may use up to two-thirds of your Psy Rating (rounding up) instead of up to half.