Heroes VS Overlord

By Hawknight, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I think it would be fun to keep track of over all wins and losses from across all expansions and everything...so, here we go with mine from last night. The heroes won.....again, surprise surprise. I will try to keep a chart of overall wins and losses with tokens and who posts it.

Wins Tokens

Heroes: 1 23

Overlord: 0 0

I spent my last tokens on an exploding door, wounding two heroes for 6 points of damage each as they opened up the last room....but to no avail. I think I could have defeated them last night, i just need more tokens to spend. I had a few trap cards but nothing to cash in to use them. I am very much looking forward to the expansions so I have any chance at all to destroy the heroes.

A few days ago I played against my heroes on an AoD standard scenario. It was the 'Hold the Line' one or whichever one where you defend the altars. Lets just say that it wasnt pretty (for the heroes). They got great heroes, but got screwed for shop weapons for thier archers (they had two, but only had shop weapons to choose from).

Result: Heroes conceeded during Round 7 after only having two partially damaged glyphs remaining *of the six). They didnt die much at all, and still had a large amount of remaining conquest, but my next turn I could have ended it, and they didnt have enough firepower to wipe out ~25 monsters (not kidding, I had almost the entire figurine set out).

I suppose I get to add 11 tokens to the OL stack? They had 10 or 11 left when they quit, so I guess that counts...?

Wins Tokens

Overlord: 1 11

A few days ago I played against my heroes on an AoD standard scenario. It was the 'Hold the Line' one or whichever one where you defend the altars. Lets just say that it wasnt pretty (for the heroes). They got great heroes, but got screwed for shop weapons for their archers (they had two, but only had shop weapons to choose from).

Result: Heroes conceded during Round 7 after only having two partially damaged glyphs remaining *of the six). They didnt die much at all, and still had a large amount of remaining conquest, but my next turn I could have ended it, and they didnt have enough firepower to wipe out ~25 monsters (not kidding, I had almost the entire figurine set out).

I suppose I get to add 11 tokens to the OL stack? They had 10 or 11 left when they quit, so I guess that counts...?

Wins Tokens

A few days ago I played against my heroes on an AoD standard scenario. It was the 'Hold the Line' one or whichever one where you defend the altars. Lets just say that it wasnt pretty (for the heroes). They got great heroes, but got screwed for shop weapons for their archers (they had two, but only had shop weapons to choose from).

Result: Heroes conceded during Round 7 after only having two partially damaged glyphs remaining *of the six). They didnt die much at all, and still had a large amount of remaining conquest, but my next turn I could have ended it, and they didnt have enough firepower to wipe out ~25 monsters (not kidding, I had almost the entire figurine set out).

Wins Tokens

Huh. I played Vanilla Descent two nights ago and thoroughly dismantled the heroes, who were even using feats from ToI. We played Quest 1: Journey into the Dark as a demo for a new player who now plans on joining our campaign. The heroes started with five conquest points and gained another eight through glyphs and treasures before I finally reduced them to zero in a hail of skeleton arrows. My favorite part was when Nanok, who started with Ambidextrous, Unmoveable, and Bear Tattoo, rushed the glyph in Area 3 and I pitted him. Then Beastmen moved in for the kill. Nice try for three conquest points, but it turned into four for the Overlord.

The consensus on the old boards was that Vanilla Descent was invariably painful for the heroes. I still recall the endless spawns when I played as a hero, whittling away my health relentlessly. In our game a couple nights ago, I spawned skeletons, sorcerers and beastmen constantly and at one point had four or five master monsters attacking, using rage on one occasion. Deployed numerous traps, including crushing block, spiked pit and dark charm. You know, the usual.

So I wonder how it is the heroes ran away to the tune of 23 to zero conquest points.

Foxburr said:

So I wonder how it is the heroes ran away to the tune of 23 to zero conquest points.

Quest Number 6: Vanilla with the new threat token Overlord cards (but i forgot to "swap out with cards i didn't want)

The "Guardian" MISSED EVERY ATTACK but one the whole game...they chose the exact right path to lead straight to the end boss, they out ran my spawns, and the one very excellent spawn i got, missed 3 out of the 4 attacks....they one shotted the boss and finished the whole dungeon in 8 rounds...it was demoralizing

It comes down to luck and tactics. As their third game, my group played Into the Dark .

I spawned the "Lone Troll" on my first turn, and had cards allowing both double move and double attack. I killed the entire party and reduced them to minus seven conquest.

We started again and they won quite convincingly.

The problem is that playing Descent is somewhat different from playing other games of a similar ilk. As a result, the Heroes task needs be simplified or they will never learn. Thus things are stacked slightly in their favour, but ballenced a touch more when treachery is involved.