Dave of the Five Rings - Part 21 (and end)

By sndwurks, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

For those who have been following me for the last year and a half, today saw the end of the Dave of the Five Rings articles over on Cardboard Republic. While I had intended on going on a hiatus until the Spring Kotei season, with the sale of the game to FFG, I do not expect there to be much news before GenCon 2017 save for a few previews starting in Q2 of 2017.

That's a LONG time to write about no news.

For everyone who followed this series from its inception, I want to say thank you. While I was never quite out of the L5R community, these last 18 months have honestly been among the best for me in it. I have made a lot of friends, gotten to speak with people at all levels of the game, taken Top 8 at the GenCon Second Chance, piloted a Siege deck for a Challenge Booth, and had my personal impact on the setting in two places: Susumu Naishi has appeared in the fiction twice, and House of the Orange Blossom made the L5R Atlas of Rokugan.

It has been a long haul to get here, and expect to see me around these forums for a while. I am as passionate as ever about the future of L5R, and I truly do feel that it is in good hands with Fantasy Flight Games.

For the last article in the series (for a while at least): http://www.cardboardrepublic.com/articles/dave-of-the-five-rings/dotr-chapter-twenty-one

(Keep in mind this was written within the first week after the sale, so it is reflecting that time particularly.)

And for those who want to go back to the beginning: http://www.cardboardrepublic.com/articles/dave-of-the-five-rings/dot5r-chapter-one

Thank you all!

The PDT were so unaware that we were actually in the midst of working on the second Onyx Expansion at that time, which now exists only as a spreadsheet. :D

The PDT were so unaware that we were actually in the midst of working on the second Onyx Expansion at that time, which now exists only as a spreadsheet. :D

Yeah.

...yeah. :(

Yeah.

If it makes you feel better, maybe someday it'll get converted to a PDF form if FFG approves.

Raw, untested, uncut designs! For the masses! :D

It was a decent series overall, but I'd have to agree with what he said about what the game needs in the lcg.

Yeah.

If it makes you feel better, maybe someday it'll get converted to a PDF form if FFG approves.

Raw, untested, uncut designs! For the masses! :D

Tetsuro,

Testing can always still happen if FFG approves.

I don't agree with a lot of what Dave said but I do subscribe this:

"At the same time, however, I want it to still be a game wherein it is my world, my stories, my Empire. And I, as always with L5R, am not alone in that."

L5R is a lot more personal than other CCGs where, clan loyalties are a big part of the community. Story interaction with all it's problems and quirks is powerful.

FFG took on a big task, good work and I'll most likely be around to see it in 2017.