Yumeji's gender

By MarthWMaster, in UFS General Discussion

I figure this topic has likely already been covered ad nauseum by now, and I apologize for bringing it up yet again, but if there is a search feature that would allow me to locate the appropriate thread, I was unable to locate it. The little bar at the top with the magnifying glass icon was no help at all.

My question is, why is Yumeji's gender listed as "F" when it could easily have been "?" My understanding is that the creators' intent with this character was to make his/her gender open to player interpretation, and establishing Yumeji as a female kind of ruins that effect. So what's up with that?

Yumeji and Makoto are female

Yo Yumeji, I'm really happy for ya, and imma let you finish, but Haku had one of the best gender questions of all time!!!

For the love of god don't bring up Haku :P

But they told us what Haku was: he was a boy. Typical trap character.

But Yumeji's unique in that arena. I can't think of any other character who was designed to have an unknown gender.

MarcoPulleaux said:

Yumeji and Makoto are female

If that's true, I'd be very curious to know why they chose to give Yumeji a masculine pronoun on Samurai Shodown's official site:

samuraianiv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/character/yumeji/index.php

"When he feels at peace" (emphasis mine of course). I don't know any Japanese, so I can't say if this is a translation error...but it does support the Wikipedia statement and the fan talk I've heard about Yumeji being "genderless," since they wouldn't call him/her an "it," would they?

In the story they always refer to Yumeji as a "he" but Yumeji is indeed a girl.

.........maybe Yumeji's.... both...

got a little extra like lady gaga?

My guess is like this

In fuedel japan times, samurais etc there was a time where women were not allowed to fight. Many women who longed to be samurai had to pretend to be men.

Yumeji maybe had to pretend to be a man to get training, etc.

So there...

I was actually the one to start the first thread on this (I had just gotten a Samurai Shodown game back then and the manual referred to Yumeji as "he") >_> The answer that STG gave me was that when the cards were getting approved by SNK, SNK told them that Yumeji was a female.

Yumeji is mentioned as the daughter of such and such, which is probably where they're getting it, and like Shadow said, SNK had to approve it first.

SNK has always refused to give out the sex of Yumeji, only referring to Yumeji as a "he" in the storylines. I am not particularly sure if this is a reverse Bridget but I think it is.

Yumeji has the hots for Ukyo. And we're also obviously talking about feudal Japan, where women probably couldn't be samurai, so she could've pretended to be a man (not a first for SNK, considering King had to pretend to be a woman to compete in a Muay Thai competition, and thus that's why she dresses so tomboyish), and so everyone who met her thought she was a man, and stories about Yumeji are probably told as if she were a man, too.