Custom Saga Quest: The Taming of Sméagol

By banania, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

The Taming of Sméagol

The Land of Shadow Saga Expansion starts with "The Passage of the Marshes" (and technically the first quest card is entitled The Taming of Sméagol ) , but it's missing the Emyn Muil part of Frodo & Same travel to Mount Doom .

Thankfully, the Emyn Muil region was explored early in the game , during the first cycle, Shadow of Mirkwood. S o I figured I would simpl y use The Hills of Emyn Muil encounter set to propose a Saga Quest covering the events of the first chapter of The Two Towers (part 2).

To play this quest you need The Hills of Emyn Muil encounter set, the Sauron's Reach encounter set (from the Core Set) and both Gollum and Nazgûl encounter sets from The Land of Shadow and The R i ng from The Black Riders. I chose to exclude the Orcs of Dol Guldur encounter set for thematic purposes and the added Gollum enemy as well as the Nazgûls gives a bit of tension, on the enemy side.

Of course, I've included Campaign Mode (a campaign card with instructions and a new Boon) .

OCTGN Files

You can download the OCTGN file here .

To install it, d ownload the .zip on the link above and extract it to "MyDocuments\OCTGN" The scenarios can then be found on: Load pre-built deck -> Scenario

Edited by banania
major update

Cool idea, thanks for doing this!

Cool idea, thanks for doing this!

Seconded... I think the idea comes up every so often, recycling old encounter sets with new quest cards, but you went ahead and actually did it! Bravo.

One thing I noticed is since Bilbo's Pity is not added to the Campaign Pool until after the quest, you can use it once in this quest and still have it to use again one more time. Is this intentional?

One thing I noticed is since Bilbo's Pity is not added to the Campaign Pool until after the quest, you can use it once in this quest and still have it to use again one more time. Is this intentional?

Nope. This should be added to the Campaign Pool from the beginning of the quest.

I'll do the modification.

EDIT: done

Edited by banania

Just a thread necromancy to say that the custom scenario has been updated and an OCTGN set is now available.

1 hour ago, banania said:

Just a thread necromancy to say that the custom scenario has been updated and an OCTGN set is now available.

Neat! I don't use OCTGN but do play physically. I'm currently in the midst of a SAGA game now, and would love to try this with physical cards and proxies. Is it possible to see the card jpegs for the Campaign Reference Card, Quest Cards, and new Boon outside of OCTGN?

Thanks!

Since you brought it up, any possibility you or someone could do something for the scouring of the shire?

@Nickpes I didn't exactly brought it up. It's somewhere in the back of my mind but 1) I want to see if it's not the GenCon quest 2020 2) if it's not, I want to see if @Seastan 's A Long-Extended Party team will tackle this.

@EBerling yes, it is absolutely possible, here:

Print and Play Files

You can find the following files to download:

I meant you brought up a saga custom quest 😊

10 hours ago, Nickpes said:

Since you brought it up, any possibility you or someone could do something for the scouring of the shire?

Actually there is a scouring of the shire - for campaign mode too!

Here it is!

On 5/3/2020 at 2:28 PM, banania said:

Couple of questions:

First, are Poisened Counsels and Saruman's Voice removed for this? I didn't see any burden sets on the campaign card.

Second, is the effect on Bilbo's Pity contingent on removing at least one damage, or can you essentially feint an undamaged Gollum by exhausting the Ring?

Yes they should be removed, it's just that I forgot to place the icons on the card, it has been corrected.

Yes, you should remove at least 1 damage.

Changes are being made to the website, pdf, image and OCTGN file to reflect that.

Alright, just played through this quest in my thematic saga campaign. Here is the deck I used: https://ringsdb.com/deck/view/212177 . (I decided since Gandalf didn't die in Moria, he went with Frodo...)

The first thing I noticed is how thematic and fun the quest is, and how newly relevant it made the Hills of Emyn Muil encounter cards. Cards like Impassable Chasm and Slick Footing felt so much more thematic now, especially the art on Slick Footing.

I do have one small question.

Amon-Lhaw.jpg

What are the effects of Amon Lhaw on the One Ring? Does Frodo no longer change players during Refresh? What about if he leaves play?