Ramblings of a Lost Cultist

By DeepOneRisen, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

This post is nothing of significance, just some ramblings of a once devout cultist who was reminded of the enjoyment of macabre adventures last night.

It has been several months since I have played Arkham Horror, and I've probably only played in two, maybe three, times in the last year. This is due to several factors such as an ever expanding game collection, available time to play (or more appropriately, lack of available time), gaming group's preference, etc. No matter the reason, it has been far too long! So yesterday, I got it in my head that I was going to go home and play. This was of course discouraged by the day itself, working a 14 hour day, not getting home until 11:00 pm, not getting the game set up until midnight, and knowing I needed to be up at 6:30 this morning. Despite all these reasons not to, the cultist within consumed reason and I played! Two hours later I was dancing on 6 sealed gates with a banished Ancient One with one doom token left, Act III threatening with every turn of the Mythos deck, 3 unused Elder Signs on my possession, and one sacrificed sailor unwilling to give in! After the game I had several impressions.

1) Arkham Horror is still my favorite game! As much as I love Mansions of Madness, as much as I am getting in to X-Wing Miniatures, as much as I am obsessed with the Lord of the Rings universe, and as much time as I waste playing Elder Sign on my phone, Arkham is still the best for me! Both in terms of thematic experience and gameplay, there is no game I love more than this!

2) Silas Marsh still is, and I feel will forever be, my favorite investigator! Aquatic movement, aquatic bonus, self-sacrificing personal story, the visual imagery of a sailor with a cavalry saber fending off approaching Deep Ones, that Will/Fight skill set! I could play him every time and never get tired of it!

3) Tony Morgan is great! Tony Morgan with a failed personal story is amazing! And Tony Morgan with a failed personal story, a tommy gun, and a Yithian Rifle is amazingly great!

4) See number 1 above!

Anyways, I'm done rambling. I frequent the forums here and am always sad to see how little is posted about/for Arkham Horror so I thought I would post. I perhaps should close with my take on what some might consider a sacrilegiously appropriate song: "I once was lost, but now am found; was blind, but now I see" all the horrific shadows emerging from the dark "that taught my heart to fear" that "all mortal life shall cease" and "the earth shall soon dissolve like snow, the sun forebear to shine" unless I crusade against these dark forces "thro' many dangers, toils, and snares" until at last we all "shall possess, within the veil, a life of joy and peace" free from the threat of the Great Old Ones!**

**Credit "Amazing Grace" by John Newton

Edited by Donut

You've done wisely to post :) We all may not be so active as in the past, but we're just stirring in our slumber

Thanks for the love declaration for one of the best games ever :)

Donut,

Thanks for posting! As one of those whom Julia refers to when she wrote, "we're just stirring in our slumber" I appreciated you comments. Arkham Horror was my gateway (no pun intended) board game after nearly 20 years as a war gamer and RPGer. I had no idea about the entire scene had changed while I was stationed overseas, only to return to the States and hear from a life-long friend that he had attended Origins and how fascinated he was with this board game...BOARD GAME?!?!

Much to my surprise (and his), I was immediately captivated by the artistry, the depth of play, and the mechanics...a work that I had never previously used in that way. Since then, I've grown my collection to two dozen games...I'm something of a discriminating gamer, with no desire to own many, but own the best of a particular genre or mechanic. Additionally, I've returned to war gaming and now serve as Lead Developer or Lead Play-Tester for more than a half-dozen games per year. It's been an exciting road, thus far. It all started with Arkham , and honestly, while many great games have come along during the past decade, it remains my #1.

I loved your observations and concur fully with most of them ~ favorite Investigators are a deeply personal thing.

Cheers,

Joe

Additionally, I've returned to war gaming and now serve as Lead Developer or Lead Play-Tester for more than a half-dozen games per year. It's been an exciting road, thus far. It all started with Arkham , and honestly, while many great games have come along during the past decade, it remains my #1.

Joe,

it's interesting, since everything (testing for FFG, and working as tech editor / proofreader for a few of their games) for me as well started with this little box of secrets that spells the name of Arkham Horror.

Also, without Arkham I'd never have met several incredible friends (and some of them travelled from the US to my place just to have a bite of lasagna :D ).

It's the best in life (despite what Conan could say on the matter)

J

Edited by Julia

Whilst Arkham Horror was the first game I owned, I must admit that Shadows Over Camelot was my gateway game. But it was that game that led my sister and her husband into a game store seeking a cooperative game and coming out with Arkham Horror. After years of boring, horrible, shallow Settlers of Catan,* a game rich and dripping with theme and chock-full of gorgeous art was amazing to me. And technically I didn't really get into and purchase more games until Arkham Horror, so maybe we can say it was my gateway game!

You both talk about game developing and game testing and it fills me with envy!

And yes, favorite investigators are deeply personal! My regular gaming group consists of two of my sisters and their husbands and we all have different favorites. I don't get why they are unable to see the brilliance of "Ashcan Pete" and they wonder why I never like being Darrell. My brother-in-law loves Wilson Richards who I don't much care for and most of them think I'm crazy for getting giddy over a dual axe wielding Charlie Kane. There's always exclamations of jealousy over who someone else got because you got stuck with someone and all you want to do is trade them. But that's what's great; there's someone for everyone!

*Yes, that's my opinion, but it's the internet, and what's the internet for if not to share my unsolicited opinion.

You know, Settlers was a revolution when it appeared in the stores (back in 1995), and many games in the actual scene exist because Settlers was such a planetary success. Indeed, it's an outdated game for many reasons (basically it's initial positioning + luck, unless you play with some variants like the one developed by Tibs), and then there's the usual conundrum of american vs euro games.

I think the interesting part in Settlers (regardless of whether you love or you hate it) is that it helped forging an entire generation of gamers :D

But your comment about unsolicited opinions made me start greatly the day, thanks :D

Julia,

But yours is not just any lasagne..and don't forget the "punk potatoes" ~ YUMMY!

Ciao,

Joe

I think the interesting part in Settlers (regardless of whether you love or you hate it) is that it helped forging an entire generation of gamers :D

Don't give me any of this logic and reason! There is no place on the world wide web for such things! Just let my soul erode from my blind hatred of sub-standard gaming!

Also, if you could overnight some of this famed lasagna I'm hearing about on this thread, that would be appreciated.

Don't give me any of this logic and reason! There is no place on the world wide web for such things! Just let my soul erode from my blind hatred of sub-standard gaming!

Also, if you could overnight some of this famed lasagna I'm hearing about on this thread, that would be appreciated.

Sure thing, buddy, just check you are on the right hex and that you've rolled properly the dice. Whaat? 7?? Too bad, the brigand ate it all...

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :D

Sure thing, buddy, just check you are on the right hex and that you've rolled properly the dice. Whaat? 7?? Too bad, the brigand ate it all...

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :D

That, young lady, was a hit below the belt and completely uncalled for. ;) Also, that may be the worst winky-face I have ever beheld!

LOL, sorry for that, but I couldn't resist :D

(now I see why you prefer Arkham... with the raising of terror, the city becomes abandoned and there's more goodies to eat for those who remains)

Yes, that's it! I need to use Strange Eons to create my own Food card which show's Julia's Lasagna...it restores 2 Stamina and 1 Sanity !