Battlefields final square

By Erundil2, in The Lord of the Rings: The Board Game

I realize this may be a tough one but perhaps someone has found some information on this online which I missed...

The final Battlefields board, the battle of the Black Gate, does not have any square 'attack spaces' where enemies can be defeated by paying two star icons. However, the central space of the board, the one with the Red Eye, does have a square shape. Now of course the damage dealt from that space means the game is immediately lost, but I was wondering if it is possible for the active player to pay two star icons the moment an enemy enters this space, thus defeating him before he can deal that space's damage---or is the fact that the 'Red Eye' space is square completely irrelevant?

Erundil said:

I realize this may be a tough one but perhaps someone has found some information on this online which I missed...

The final Battlefields board, the battle of the Black Gate, does not have any square 'attack spaces' where enemies can be defeated by paying two star icons. However, the central space of the board, the one with the Red Eye, does have a square shape. Now of course the damage dealt from that space means the game is immediately lost, but I was wondering if it is possible for the active player to pay two star icons the moment an enemy enters this space, thus defeating him before he can deal that space's damage---or is the fact that the 'Red Eye' space is square completely irrelevant?

No idea. I haven't actually made it to this board so its never come up.

Erundil said:

I bought the Battlefields myself yesterday and though didn't reach that far in my first game, decided to ask about this via the "Rules Questions" link. Being lazy, I just copy-pasted your above text gui%C3%B1o.gif . Got an answer overnight:

"A: You may play Feature cards and spend shields to call Gandalf BEFORE
you move an Enemy to "The Ring Is MIne!" space. However, once an Enemy
is moved to the space the game is over and Sauron wins; you cannot pay
two star icons to defeat the Enemy." John Goodenough