Leaving the warp in the wrong place

By Gregorius21778, in Rogue Trader House Rules

Greetings, fellow captains and fell captains

I was unable to finde examples for what bad things might happen to a ship whose Navigator misses his test for "leaving the warp" (see p.185). Thereby, I houseruled a simple game mechanic void (ha-HA) of any fluff. Feel free to comment and/or introduce your own rules. Personally, I hope for FFG to bring out some examples/tables in the near future.

Leaving the warp
As the ship arrives its destination, the Navigator must make a hard (-20) perception test to leave the warp at a correct position. If he fails, he leaves in a spot dangerous to the ship. A challenging (+0) test for Pilot (Spacecraft) is necessary to avoid harm to the ship. The difficulty of the piloting test is increased by one step for every level of failure the Navigator might have achieved. Failure on the piloting test means a point of damage to the ship. If levels of failure are achieved, the first two levels of failure will add another point of damage. The third and fourth level will each add another 1d5 of damage. The fifth will add another 1d10 level of damage.

EDIT:
Alternately, the GM can decide that the failure is simply putting the ship at the very wrong position . 5 Success on an ordinary (+10) test for Navigation (Stellar) is needed to bring to bring the ship back on course and one week extra travell time is needed. Levels of failure from the Navigators test can be translated into another week of system travell each.

Cool, consider that yoinked.

I'd use system 1 where it matters (such as when entering combat/ hostile, unknown territory etc.) or system 2 where it doesn't or makes more sense (when transporting urgent supplies/ whilst against any kind of clock/ in a chase or race etc.).

Thanks, but I have to edit myself.

If the Navigation(Stellar) Test ("Second Option") is to be "extended", the "Level of Failure" do not make any sense. Thereby, the test shall not longer be extended but just "simple". And the Level of Failure should be counted in "days" and not "weeks". At least those for the "re-plotting of inner system course". Leaving the warp in the wrong place can doubtlessly throw a ship that far away from course & into a place where re-entering the warp is to risky..

I've always assumed from the various pieces of fluff that with warp travel you end up on the outskirts of the system and then move in via conventional drives. Again from the fluff I've always thought that if the navigator wasn't having a good day what would mainly happen would be you'd end up further out of the system then intended (and so requireing longer to get there) while conversely if the navigator was on rare form you'd end up closer to the system when you came out of warp.

So to me your system is a bit harsh, I'd probably only my crew in it if they had failed very badly or the plot demanded it.

Well, you're supposed to always end up in the outskirts of a system, as the gravitational fields of the planetary bodies exist in the Warp as well and you don't want to get trapped in a gravitational well. Theoretically (according to WH40k:RT) you have to travel outside a system via conventional drives (which can take days or weeks even) to safely into the Immaterium.

This I like, because it prevents my Players from just hitting the "Warp me outta here!" button when they get in trouble.

I'd use the "Dropping out at the wrong place" as a plot device, not a random occurrance. Hence some examples, aka plot hooks, would rock.

Figuring the best of the best Navigators (per 68%) only have a 48% chance at best of leaving the Warp without problems my best guess this test shouldn't be a Perception but an Awareness Test...especially after reading the rest of Navigation again (see topic rules section).