Skirmisher Dual Strike - Bloody Dagger

By Scharpes, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi all,

perhaps you can give me a quick confirmation that this legitimate:

Equipped with bloody dagger and another one-handed melee weapon. Using the dagger's ability, I suffer 1 fatigue to become bleeding.

I then proceed to perform a "dual strike", using the dice of my other melee weapon, say Jagged Handaxe. Because of dual strike, I can use a surge to add +4 damage to my attack, correct?

Thanks ;)

I would say yes, you can do that. The bloody dagger has a surge ability of +4 damage while you are bleeding, and Dual Strike lets you use the surge abilities from either weapon, regardless of which weapon you actually attacked with.

I would say yes, you can do that. The bloody dagger has a surge ability of +4 damage while you are bleeding, and Dual Strike lets you use the surge abilities from either weapon, regardless of which weapon you actually attacked with.

Yes. Just make sure you're bleeding, otherwise you can't use the "+4" on the bloody dagger.

Thanks guys! :)

During your turn, you may suffer 1 to become Bleeding. If you are Bleeding, each of your attacks gains: S: +4 Hearts

I think you get the surge ability even if you dont attack with the Bloody Dagger, as long as you have it equipped. It says the attack gains, not this weapon gains. Shadow Bracers from Manor of Ravens says "Each of your attacks gains: S: Doom" so I think as long as the dagger is equipped, every attack(even unarmed) gains the surge ability.

Edited by oddjob

During your turn, you may suffer 1 to become Bleeding. If you are Bleeding, each of your attacks gains: S: +4 Hearts

I think you get the surge ability even if you dont attack with the Bloody Dagger, as long as you have it equipped. It says the attack gains, not this weapon gains. Shadow Bracers from Manor of Ravens says "Each of your attacks gains: S: Doom" so I think as long as the dagger is equipped, every attack(even unarmed) gains the surge ability.

I do believe you are correct. The attack does not need to be made with the dagger to gain the ability to spend a surge for +4 damage, as long as you have the dagger equipped and are bleeding the conditions are satisfied.

I do believe you are correct. The attack does not need to be made with the dagger to gain the ability to spend a surge for +4 damage, as long as you have the dagger equipped and are bleeding the conditions are satisfied.

I am not so sure about this, and would be interested to hear an FFG response. While I agree that the text is "your attacks gain" is clear, it seems to me that the "when you attack with this weapon" is implied. For example, the Beastmaster's starting weapon " skinning knife " uses slightly different phrasing, with "this attack gains," but I think the idea is the same. Text on your non-chosen weapon does not affect your attack. From the rulebook section on declaring weapon and target, page 12:

Only abilities on the chosen weapon may be used; if equipped with two weapons, abilities on the other weapon are ignored for the attack. "
I may be wrong about this, but it seems to me there is enough justification for it to go either way. I'll submit the question to FFG.
Edit: Question submitted: Does the "Bloody Dagger" grant it's surge ability to "each of your attacks," or just each of your attacks performed with that weapon? The rulebook (p 12) states that abilities on other equipped weapons are ignored, but the text on this weapon seems like it may be intended to apply generally (which would override the rules if that's the intention.) Thanks!
Edited by Zaltyre

I am not so sure about this, and would be interested to hear an FFG response. While I agree that the text is "your attacks gain" is clear, it seems to me that the "when you attack with this weapon" is implied. For example, the Beastmaster's starting weapon " skinning knife " uses slightly different phrasing, with "this attack gains," but I think the idea is the same. Text on your non-chosen weapon does not affect your attack. From the rulebook section on declaring weapon and target, page 12:

Only abilities on the chosen weapon may be used; if equipped with two weapons, abilities on the other weapon are ignored for the attack. "
I may be wrong about this, but it seems to me there is enough justification for it to go either way. I'll submit the question to FFG.
Edit: Question submitted: Does the "Bloody Dagger" grant it's surge ability to "each of your attacks," or just each of your attacks performed with that weapon? The rulebook (p 12) states that abilities on other equipped weapons are ignored, but the text on this weapon seems like it may be intended to apply generally (which would override the rules if that's the intention.) Thanks!

Well, it's always possible that the intent is different than what is written, but it definitely works that way RAW. Fair to ask about it though, so we'll see.

Did you get any response yet, Zaltyre?

Did you get any response yet, Zaltyre?

Not yet. I will post it when I do.

Rules Question:
Does the "Bloody Dagger" grant it's surge ability to "each of your attacks," or just each of your attacks performed with that weapon? The rulebook (p 12) states that abilities on other equipped weapons are ignored, but the text on this weapon seems like it may be intended to apply generally (which would override the rules if that's the intention.) Thanks!
Answer:
The Bloody Dagger grants its surge ability to each of the attacks performed with that weapon, since that ability and surge ability would both be ignored when attacking with a different weapon. However it is important to note that the Skirmisher’s Dual Strike would allow a Bleeding hero to use the surge ability for +4 Damage while attacking with a different equipped weapon. Because Dual Strike allows the hero to access surge abilities on another equipped weapon (in this case, the surge for +4 damage), the abilities that affect those surges must also be accessed (in this case, you may only access that surge if you are bleeding).
Thanks for playing,
Kara Centell-Dunk
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

Thanks, that clears things up!