Design Talk - Victory Conditions

By Drudenfusz, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Siege: Clan War did an acceptable job within a story line approach.

That's a boxed game, right? I mean, essentially -- comes with decks designed specifically for it?

It's much more restricted in a variety of ways; probably a bad example to draw from.

I'm not much interested in 3v1 multiplayer, though Star Wars did it in their 2nd deluxe box (along with 2v2).

I think a fundamental requirement for multiplayer is good free for all. Anything after that is gravy. Special formats requiring additional cards should probably go in a separate deluxe box, perhaps with a handful of exceptions. Certainly a siege deck should be in a supplement.

Siege: Clan War did an acceptable job within a story line approach.

That's a boxed game, right? I mean, essentially -- comes with decks designed specifically for it?

It's much more restricted in a variety of ways; probably a bad example to draw from.

I'm not much interested in 3v1 multiplayer, though Star Wars did it in their 2nd deluxe box (along with 2v2).

I think a fundamental requirement for multiplayer is good free for all. Anything after that is gravy. Special formats requiring additional cards should probably go in a separate deluxe box, perhaps with a handful of exceptions. Certainly a siege deck should be in a supplement.

It's about as multiplayer as you get for AEG L5R, even if it comes with preconstructed decks. You could easily make them for various backstory elements if FFG really wanted to. Scorpion Clan Coup comes to mind. However, I do think the core set should be able to do multiplayer out of the box.

It's about as multiplayer as you get for AEG L5R, even if it comes with preconstructed decks. You could easily make them for various backstory elements if FFG really wanted to. Scorpion Clan Coup comes to mind. However, I do think the core set should be able to do multiplayer out of the box.

Wasn't War of Honor a more standard multiplayer free for all setup?

I never played it, but the VP system in that seems like it would solve a lot of the problems I had with multiplayer L5R. I haven't looked closely at it, though.

Military, Political and Enlightment should be a must.

I also like to have every arc, or cycle, a brand new condition to win the game. Example: Chagati going for emperor, Iuchiban rising, etc.

I'd rather see a stronger focus of 1v1 in L5R, but some better design to allow for easier multi-player games. AND without that Agot mechanic where you can only attack certain people based on a card.

Agree with the first two, for sure. I could take or leave the last, depending on specific execution. Part of the strategy in AGoT is taking a card you know to be safer, or likely to be safe from specific opponents, which is an interesting head game. But you have to know the multiplayer cards *really* well.

And then you get into the collusion issues. AGOT Melee has some difficult issues in a tournament setting.

I'd rather see a stronger focus of 1v1 in L5R, but some better design to allow for easier multi-player games. AND without that Agot mechanic where you can only attack certain people based on a card.

Agree with the first two, for sure. I could take or leave the last, depending on specific execution. Part of the strategy in AGoT is taking a card you know to be safer, or likely to be safe from specific opponents, which is an interesting head game. But you have to know the multiplayer cards *really* well.

And then you get into the collusion issues. AGOT Melee has some difficult issues in a tournament setting.

For sure. The local AGoT meta is pretty down on melee, even casually, in part because of distaste for what's happened in the tournament scene.

I'm not sure that's practically avoidable though. Competitive multiplayer free-for-all games come loaded with a host of problems unique to the format.

Having just played and enjoyed 4 player AGoT the other night, though, I still hope to see a free-for-all multiplayer mode that plays well. Nothing says they have to support it as a tournament format.

Yeah, I think Melee has had a bad taste for many after FFG DQ'ed 3/4 of the last table at worlds.

Edited by Sithborg

Yeah, I think Melee has had a bad taste for many after FFG DQ'ed 3/4 of the last table at worlds.

I shouldn't have brought it up, even obliquely. Let's not open that can of worms here. :)