[RPG] Role-playing Resources

By Igarashi, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Since we don't have a RPG forum yet and it looks like a new edition is years away I thought we could start a thread for resource material like we had at the old AEG forums. So here goes, I'll add to this post as more stuff gets posted in the comments.

Index of 4th Edition L5R Schools - we used to have a master list at the old AEG forums that was incredibly helpful, so thanks to Cristol.GdM for this! As far as I know it is up to date:

http://pixel-breath.com/imperial-registry-index-of-all-schools-in-l5r-4e/

L5R Roll and Keep Probability Chart - great interactive probability chart

http://lynks.se/probability/

L5R RPG Page - not sure how long this will be up but AEG's RPG page still has 4th Edition Character Sheets and the Legacy of Disaster Adventure Module for free:

http://www.l5r.com/rpg/

Heroes of Rokugan 3 Modules - a recently finished "living" role-playing Campaign. For those unfamiliar with "living" campaigns they are mostly played at major conventions where players new and old can play through a module and participate in an ongoing campaign. This one just concluded at this year's Gencon, and while I've only gotten to play in a handful of modules the Heroes of Rokugan crowd produce top notch adventures. Below are the modules to run it for your home game:

http://www.heroes-of-rokugan.net/index.php?page=PriorCampaigns

Heroes of Rokugan 2 Modules - another "living" campaign by the amazing folks of Heroes of Rokugan. This one concluded at Gencon 2010 and used the 3rd Edition of L5R and all the modules are available below:

http://heroes-of-rokugan.com/HoR2/scenarios.html

Kaze no Shiro - Unofficial RPG Supplements - for years Kaze no Shiro has served as an archive for L5R stories and roleplaying resources. I can't say enough how thankful I am to the great group that run it and have preserved the history of the game we all love. I particularly recommend the Musha Shugyo RPG supplements, Isawa Nazomitsu's Challenge Focus Strike's and the adventures Mirror Mirror and Fortune's Lost by the guys at Tastes Like Phoenix. Most of these supplements come from older editions of the RPG but can be easily converted:

http://www.kazenoshiro.com/rpg/unofficial-content/

L5R Wiki - thanks to this group who run and update the wiki we have a massive collection of L5R lore which is a great resource material for the RPG:

http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Legend_of_the_Five_Rings_Wiki

L5R Character Manager (added by Shosuro)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/l5rcm/

A NPC Generator (added by Shosuro)

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~drmohr/L5R/l5rnpcfluffgen.html

Shared Adventures by Shosuro (added by Shosuro)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9ePcRR0ppr4SmxJYUtrbVJ2WXc&usp=drive_web

Edited by Igarashi

Here's to hoping the RPG forums do reopen at some point so we can gather some of the homebrew stuff there, host it somewhere else and link it here...

Even if you are not using Heroes of Rokugan timeline, HoR modules are great way to start GMing.

Here's to hoping the RPG forums do reopen at some point so we can gather some of the homebrew stuff there, host it somewhere else and link it here...

That's my hope as well, there is some great stuff in the Homebrew and Gamemaster forums.

Even if you are not using Heroes of Rokugan timeline, HoR modules are great way to start GMing.

I could not agree more. The first Heroes of Rokugan is equally amazing but are hard to find these days, I think I have most of the modules on a hard drive somewhere, if I can find them I'll put them up on a Dropbox.

I have some links to share too:

The L5R-Charactermanager:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/l5rcm/

A NPC-Generator:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~drmohr/L5R/l5rnpcfluffgen.html

Some adventures I wrote down and want to share with everyone:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9ePcRR0ppr4SmxJYUtrbVJ2WXc

Thanks! I'll add these to the list.

I could not agree more. The first Heroes of Rokugan is equally amazing but are hard to find these days, I think I have most of the modules on a hard drive somewhere, if I can find them I'll put them up on a Dropbox.

If you do find them, posting them would be very much appreciated! I never did manage to find/download them before they up and became so scarce --

If you do find them, posting them would be very much appreciated! I never did manage to find/download them before they up and became so scarce --

PM sent.

Got a Roll and Keep Dice Roller there?

Lost the script for the last one I had.

Roll20, by the way, supports playing on 4th Edition. It's got a very nice editable character sheet which comes with easily usable macros for rolling stuff.

There are numerous useful resources posted to pbp game forums in their, well, resource sections. Linking to these could be useful.

If no one else has done so in the near future, I'll head over and grab the links when I get back online. ^_^

I am waiting for the AEG forums to be up again to get a couple of schools and resources from there. Most notably a new version for the Bayushi Bushi School >.<.

Roll20, by the way, supports playing on 4th Edition. It's got a very nice editable character sheet which comes with easily usable macros for rolling stuff.

Did they ever fix the character sheet? It was pretty wonky when it first came out.

What needed fixing? It has macros for rolls, allows you to adjust roll before making them (so if you want to roll Investigation/Intelligence instead of Investigation/Perception, you can quickly add "missing" dice), calculates most of the stuff on it's own (which might be annoying if you have some kind of technique that messes with formulas - for example, daidoji honor wounds)... Asking because we switched to it quite recently, because Roll20 maps are prettier than my excel maps.

I haven't ran into a situation where I would say "****, I wish we played using something else"; still, I use Roll 20 mostly for maps and easy tracking of stuff like enemy wounds and stuff.

Edited by WHW

Got a Roll and Keep Dice Roller there?

Lost the script for the last one I had.

http://orokos.com/ handles R&K dice well, with the formula Xd10o10kY (where X= rolled dice and Y= kept dice). Xd10r1o10kY for a skill with emphasis; Xd10o10 for raw trait and Ring rolls; Xd10 (dropping 'o10') for unskilled/unexploding rolls. Registration required, but at least it's free and saves your results.

Add me to the list of people hoping they do make the old forums readable again soon, though. It would be downright tragic for so many useful and creative resources to be flushed down the internet drain. (I was so certain I had a local backup of the thread with kanji conversions for all the Family names... but nope. :( )

I've saved up some of it, though wether or not they're accurate is another thing (as I can't read kanji). I copied these over years ago, so I have no idea who wrote these originally on the L5R forums.

Hida 飛騨 (flying grey horse)

Doji 道寺 (temple road)
Togashi 冬瓜子 (water-melon-child)
Akodo 阿古道 (nook-old-way)
Shiba 柴 (brushwood)
Bayushi 瑪雄志 (onyx-ambition)
Shinjo 神助 (help from gods)
Hantei 判定 (judgement)

A list of possible meanings to the Kami names (sadly, the kanji didn't copy over when I saved it the first time around)

Ôtomo (Great Friend)/(Great Companion)/(Great Follower)/(Royal Follower)
Seppun (Kiss)
Miya (Palace)/(Three Valleys)/(Three Arrows)
Dôji (Temple of the Way)
Daidôji (Temple of the Great Way)
Kakita (the Rice Field of the Kaki Tree)/(Fenced Rice Field)
Asahina (the Chick of the Morning)/(Barbarian of the Morning)
Bayushi (Master of the Warm Water of the Place... Bayushi is really a strange name... even in japanese)
Soshi (Ancestral Master, Founder of a Sect)
Yogo (to give what is left)
Shôsurô ("The Son who's Named", according to the Way of the Scorpion, Shôsurô derives from the verb shô suru "to name")
Togashi (Abundant Oak Trees)
Agasha (Shrine of Flattery and Congratulations)
Mirumoto ("the Base that Sees") /(Root of a Kind of Seaweed)
Kitsuki (Made with a Pestle)/(Castle)
Moto (Base, Origin)/(Prosper and Rise)
Ide (Get out of a Well)/(Similar to a Well)/(Go out)/(to shoot (an arrow), radiant)/(Dyke)
Iuchi (In the Well)
Otaku (Honorable House, Your House)
Shinjô (New Manor)/(New Castle)/(New Avenue)/(True Castle)
Ikoma (Lively Foal)/(Foal of the Well)/(Oldness of a Place)
Akodo (the Door of the Flattered Child)/(the Old Door of the Corner)
Matsu (Pine Tree)
Kitsu (the Ford of Good Omen)/(the Ford of Sigh)
Shiba (Take Care of Horses)/(This Wave)/(Wave of Willpower)/(Lawn)/(Bush)
Isawa (the Swamp of the Well)/(Harmony of the Rock)/(Couragous)
Asako (Slight Oldness)/(Oldness of the Flattering Companion)/(Coming of the Morning)/(Child of the Morning)/(Frivolous Child)
Hida (Flying White Maned Horse)/(Irrigated Rice Field)/(Every Rice field)/(Fertile Rice Field)
Kuni (Province, Country)/("you, a long time ago")/(l Six Unions, Sixth Staging Point)
Kaiu (Embers of the Crab, Blazing Crab)
Hiruma (Day Room)/(Room of the Leech)/("The Room you can't help Comparing")
Yasuki (Peaceful Tree)
Of course, some of those names are not used to be translated. That's the reason why some of them seems so strange.
Here are what the names of the kami of Rokugan could mean in japanese with especially choosen kanji :
Hantei: "the Emperor who Rises"
Hida: "Big and Great"
Dôji: "the Elder Sister that everybody Admires"
Shinjô: "the Young Lady who is as Fast as the Horses"
Tôgashi: "the Master of the High Mountains who Moves as a Dragon"... too cool ! I'm really proud of this one !
Bayûshi: "the one who Swims with a Frog and Kill it"... great ! and of this one too !
Akodô: "My Tiger Child"
Shiba: "the Wings of History"
and at last, a name that sounds more chinese :
Fu Leng "Putrid and Cold"

Another saved from the forums years ago, a list of various forms of adress.

Danna - Address for men equivalent to “Milord” or “Sir.”
Denka - Address for the kôtaishi (crown prince).
Dono - Title appended to the first or last names of men or women worthy of respect regardless of titles or offices held, and to office titles (e.g.; Abe-dono, Tarô-dono, dainagondono). Generally higher respect is accorded for -dono than for -sama.
Fujin - A word appended to some titles to indicate a female.
Gimi - Title suitable for noble males from great houses; appended to given names.
Gozen - Title appended to the given name of women of rank (e.g.; Tomoe-gozen).
Heika - Address which is essentially “your majesty”; used for the emperor.
Hidenka - Address for a princess.
Hime - Title suitable for well-born females; appended to the given name. By itself, it is also the term of address for the same, the equivalent of “My Lady.”
Hime-gimi - Title suitable for female nobles; appended to given names.
In - A retired emperor.
Kakka - Address which means essentially “your excellency”; use for goverrnment officers or officials. Officers or officials of provincial level should be called obugyô-sama.
Kimi - Address form of the title -gimi.
Kubô - Anciently used for the Emperor and later the shôgun.
Kô - Title appended to names and used similarly to -sama for people of very high rank (e.g., Ieyasu-kô, Shingen-kô); would be suitable address for the like of daimyô and anyone from the kuge.
Kôgô - Empress.
Kôtei - Title of the emperor of a country other than Japan.
Meijin - Address for a master of some art.
Miya - Title born by Imperial princes and princesses originally using the name of their residences (e.g. Akishino no Miya); also with their Shintô names (e.g.; Hiro no Miya, who is also called Fumihito Shinnô).
Nai-shinnô - Title appended to a given name for princesses (e.g. Fumiko Nai-shinnô)
No-Kami - Title used for provincial governers; the province name would precede the particle “no” (e.g., Bizenno-Kami).
Nyotei - The title of a empress reigning in her own right.
Nyôgo - The second (in standing) wife of an Emperor.
Nyûdô - Title following the given name of one who has taken Buddhist orders (e.g. Baisetsu Nyûdô). Doesn’t have to be used all the time; usually, it’s more only on formal occasions.
Ô - Title born by grandsons and great-grandsons of the Emperor.
Obugyô-sama - Generic form of address for any governmental officer or official. (The word “bugyô” means official.)
Ojô-sama - Address which is the functional equivalent of “miss/mademoiselle” and is useful for women one doesn’t know; similar to “Milady.” The one restriction is that it can not be used for anyone older than 25 or so, or anyone married.
Oku-sama - Address for women over 25 (i.e., who are likely married) who have no other title. The Equivalent of “Ma’am/Missus/Milady.” (Pronounced “Oak-sama”.)
Okugata-sama - Address for the lady of a household; the wife of (or the female equivalent of) an oyakata-sama.
Onzôshi - Address for a young prince or lord when addressed by someone older than him who is in his service. It refers to the younger lord’s relationship as a scion of a noble house.
Oyakata-sama - Address used by clan members for the head their clan. Note that this is a term of considerable respect.
Sama - Title appended to both the surnames or given names of men or women worthy of respect, regardless of any title or office; it is also used attached to office titles (e.g.; Hondasama, Tarô-sama, daijin-sama). The standard attachment to names in simple polite conversation at least.
Shinnô - Title appended to the given name of princes. (e.g. Dôsetsu Shinnô). For princesses it is Nai-shinnô (q.v.).
Taichô - Address for a leader of a group or squad; good for captains commanding a band of bushi in a battle.
Tennô - Term referring to the reigning emperor of Japan. (Other nations’ emperors are called kôtei.) Used as an address - or a reference in polite conversation - it is Tennô Heika.
Tono - Address for one’s lord.
Ue-sama -Address for the shôgun. It means, essentially, “sire.”
Waga-kimi - A double form of address meaning (1) “my lord,” as a lady refers to her lover or husband; and (2) “my lord,” as referring to one to whom one may be considered to be “in fealty.” (It literally means, of course, “my lord.”) (Note that the former meaning is most common in historical literature.)
Waka - Address form for a young prince or lord when addressed by someone older and usually in his service. (Literally it means “young” and is an abbreviation of wakadono, which means “young lord.”) More polite and
archaic is onzôshi.

Finally getting around to this after a busy few days-

Kiku Toshi Resource Forum

A forum from an old, finished forum game where my fellow GMs and I provided useful setting/fluff information. We were not the first ones to do so and a lot of what's there was created by other awesome GM types (You know who you are :P ). That said, there's a good chunk of info there that could prove useful for people wanting to expand upon some of the setting fluff. ^_^

Info includes a list of Fortunes, Teas of Rokugan, Flora and Fauna of the setting, and a few other things. I've found these pages useful numerous times. Hope everyone else enjoys too.

Edited by Kasuga Natsumi

In that same vein, here's The Collected Sayings of Shinsei from the resources at 7Scions. As a friend put it, and I agree, this is one of those pages that we end up using and re-using at nearly every forum game. Super useful for finding pearls of wisdom for characters. ^_^