Monster Surge

By goblin981, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

I have a question about monster surge. If there are, say, 6 gates open; I draw a card with a gate that's already there. So I have to spawn 6 monsters. If I'm already at the monster limit, do these new monsters go to the gates or to the outskirts?

Monster limit is an absolute parameter you cannot avoid respecting; hence, if Arkham has already reached the limit, monster go directly in the Outskirts, eventually making them overflowing (with a consequent Terror increase). Please note that if any of the 6 gates is on an expansion board, then the monsters appearing on the main board go to the Outskirts, and the monsters appearing on the expansion board go on the expansion board, since there's no monster limit on expansion boards.

Hope this helps!

It does, thanks. Means I've been playing it wrong; and the terror level is going to go up VERY fast.

Yup, with so many gates open, it's very likely to have quite a few surges in the game (plus, beware of waking up the AO due to trenspassing the gate limit)

goblin,

Just to add a tiny bit to Julia's otherwise complete response, is to remember to add monsters one at a time to the Outskirts . You wouldn't just add six monsters and raise the Terror Level by 1, as the Outskirts has a limit based on the number of Investigators . So, you might, adding them one at a time, actually increase the Terror Level by 2 or even 3!

Cheers,

Joe

Good point Joe :)

Thank you, ma'am! It feels to good to be back out here again ;)

I was actually about to ask that. Makes more sense to do it that way. Thanks :)