Adapting Rules Beyond the End of the World

By Chyrondave, in Zombie Apocalypse

This is slightly off topic, but because Fantasy Flight does not have a general section for this series, I'm posting it here.

Has anyone else attempted to adapt this system for something other than an End of the World scenario? I ask because after playing and running scenarios with the system (both zombies), I got curious as to whether this system will work for something less... apocalypty.

At the moment, I'm trying to work on a ghost hunt scenario using the rules for the game.

All it really is, is a "Modern Day" system as is. So you could do any setting that is close to that. 1920s London to modern war to even a medieval thing really. People with weapons and armor is all it is at its base, so why not anything within that scope? And truly it's a very adaptable and easily adapted system, I don't think it would be too hard to add on Magic or Hacking or mass combat or whatever you needed to, really. It's a very solid framework IMO. Pretty lethal, but pretty flexible.

I feel the strength is atmosphere heavy games. Once you introduce too many optional rules, it's going to bog down. That being said, I would love to see some simple optional rules pop up and expand the settings and options. Excuse the comparison, but a simpler rule set for a "World of Darkness" feel would be fantastic. Somebody mentioned Universal Studio Monsters - that would be amazing.

I feel the strength is atmosphere heavy games. Once you introduce too many optional rules, it's going to bog down. That being said, I would love to see some simple optional rules pop up and expand the settings and options. Excuse the comparison, but a simpler rule set for a "World of Darkness" feel would be fantastic. Somebody mentioned Universal Studio Monsters - that would be amazing.

This is closer to the intention I was thinking of. In the ghost hunt scenario I mentioned in the initial post, I worked to keep the atmosphere of a horror movie while using the system to keep it grounded in the real world (no magic system or no super powers).

I almost see this system as a gateway to more complex RPGs like World of Darkness, or as an alternative to ones like Dread.

I'm thinking at hacking End of the World to obtain a spies game (ala The Americans TV series).

Your physical characteristics will still be used to resist fights, as before.

Your social characteristics will serve to protect your cover(s), i.e. the way you are hiding among your community.

Your mental characteristics will reflect the way you protect your (secret) mission(s).

What attracts me in the system is that at each roll you can get some complications (stress) that slowly destroy some of your assets.

IMO, you can almost play with the initial rules but advices are always welcome :-)

When I first started gaming a looooong time ago I was a huge fan of Call of Cthulhu but admittedly was never a great fan of the system. After reading and playing a few sessions of Zombie Apocalypse I decided to start running this game using all the old Call of Cthulhu scenarios (like Adventures in Arkham , Blood Brothers etc). It's working a real treat! So much better than the BRP system - which sometimes can be a bit lacklustre.

This rules set even has a built in Sanity system in the form of Mental Stress and Trauma that works much like the Sanity Rules in CoC.

I always found in CoC that the massive list of skills and no real traits left most characters feeling a little flat, with some skills becoming ones you just HAD to have. With End of the World the characters seem more fun, more tailored to what each player wants to portray with their negative and positive qualities but the character seem just as fragile. I don't know for me it just… works . Really, really well.

If you're a fan of Call of Cthulhu and like me never really liked the system then I highly recommend trying it using the End of the World rules.

Edited by Ebonwarlock

I want to use the system to tell a story where the players colonize a distant planet, so it's kind of a survival story, close to gaeas revenge.