Will there be a third expansion?

By wombatvvv, in Blood Bowl: Team Manager

Saw another, older thread on this that seemed to assume yes. But it's pretty old. Any news?

I'd love to see an underpowered Halfling team for experienced players and or bragging rights.

Obviously a lot of other great options not least of which is high elves and lizardmen.

Team packs would be a much better (and possibly more likely) option.

At this stage I think unless they can put a Star Wars logo on it, FF probably aren't that interested. SW is a licence to print money, compare that to the money they probably make on BB:TM... sadly but understandably they're running a business so they're going to put the effort into the profitable lines. Just look at the news page for the last few months, has there ever been a day when at least six of the eight lead articles haven't been Star War related?

Team packs, i could get behind.

Or a smaller expansion with 3 new teams and a new fifth division to go next to the PPA, CWL, etc. decks.

I don't actually want more rules added. With the second expansion, the game is on the verge of being too much for what it is. Granted most of those rules are just modules you can choose to play with or without, but even so, it's a tad much to manage.

The first expansion was great because it rounded up the game nicely. The second... seems to me like they felt they needed to add more than just new teams and didn't know what exactly to add. The referee is a tad too much and doesn't feel tight mechanics-wise. Similar with the penalties which are sometimes pointless, especially in the final turn. They just feel wonky to me.

I'd love to see another expansion pack, maybe having Halflings, Amazons and Norse together would be a good grouping. Also having more Tournaments to enter would add to the variety.

But I agree that the rules are good enough to keep as they are, lets just have more teams :)

I think the game is fleshed out in terms of game mechanics, but yes, team expansion packs (maybe in-house printing?) would be great.

Main races we don't have atm:

Amazons

Norse

Halflings

High Elves

Khemri

Necromantics

So there's enough variety in there to make a few interesting teams with the existing ruleset, although to be complete, some might require either expansions of the game to use all the skills/abilities.

Edited by Oakwolf

I think the game is fleshed out in terms of game mechanics, but yes, team expansion packs (maybe in-house printing?) would be great.

Main races we don't have atm:

Amazons

Norse

Halflings

High Elves

Khemri

Necromantics

So there's enough variety in there to make a few interesting teams with the existing ruleset, although to be complete, some might require either expansions of the game to use all the skills/abilities.

And don't forget the lizard-men, the khorne demons, the bretonnians, and the ogres with the snotlings !

I think that there are still game mechanics to find, like taking back cards from the discard deck or things like that. And other new skills like "claws" (for the yeti or the snow troll of the norse, for instance).

There is still the possibility for FFG to release 2 and may be 3 expansions, with a new die and other card decks like magic items or bad tricks.

Let's keep hoping !

Edited by kinor

New print-on-demmand team packs should be pretty cheap for them to develop and good sellers judging by feedback on boardgamegeek.

Go on ffg, theres a list of missing teams above, can we have team packs please?

At this stage I think unless they can put a Star Wars logo on it, FF probably aren't that interested. SW is a licence to print money, compare that to the money they probably make on BB:TM... sadly but understandably they're running a business so they're going to put the effort into the profitable lines. Just look at the news page for the last few months, has there ever been a day when at least six of the eight lead articles haven't been Star War related?

Totally agree with you there. I am serioulsy annoyed with SW. I try to get friends to play my games, but they are too busy with X-Wing and Magic all of the time.

Yeah it's a buzz, also with the movies coming out, it's just logical that they get the most of their license to go along with the hype. I haven't played it yet, but X-Wing seem to be like a good game system at the moment, and i think it's taking a chunk of miniature game players that FFG didn't use to get. It's gettng bloated out, so it will eventually slow down, but they have a lot of things to exploit if they want, in fact they haven't even touched the clone wars yet.

That said, the print-on-demand thing is our best bet, and i hope we are heard. Just like Space Hulk: Death Angel (awesome game btw).

The thing with team packs is that they will only sell for 2 types of Team Manager players:

1- completists who will want all the teams anyway

2- fans of that specific team

The real question is if that will be enough to justify the resources? depends how much it costs to develop.

Edited by Oakwolf

Can't blame them for exploiting their SW licence while it's hot, just hoping that all the profit they're (probably) making on SW means they can keep less profitable lines like Blood Bowl alive.

And don't worry about X-Wing getting bloated out and slowing down, they'll just release something else with the SW logo instead to keep things ticking over... enter "SW: Rebellion" ;-)

Maybe someone will ask Jay Little (the creator of bbtm and sudden death but not foul play) on twitter for more information about an eventual expansion to come ?

Here is the link :

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjABahUKEwj6t9GBwZ3JAhUBCxoKHRC3B2U&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fynnen&usg=AFQjCNGwV6SMETVHtxtEvI2skbHfSZFVLQ&sig2=HzrAaQeFtRYIyp4d31a7Cw

Sorry, personnally, i don't have any twitter account !

Edited by kinor

I would buy any team packs that came out.

Sadly, it looks dead for releasing new expansions to this game. I don't think we´re even close to it, folks. FFG's focus is elsewhere currently :rolleyes:

I will say however that the game is pretty stuffed as it is. New teams means new abilities, which means abilities old teams do not have, etc. I´d be all over a new expansion for the teams only, but content-wise I was hugely disappointed by Foul Play, so I´m not directly holding my breath for a quality expansion. I´d like to be proven wrong, however.

sigh, I could really go for just one more expansion.. if only to get my hands on some Lizardmen.

It'd be pretty easy to package them with a team of Amazons and maybe even an all Mummy Khemri team.. (though it leaves the Norse high and dry, and they'd be fun as well.)

One can only hope that IF they reprint the actual Blood Bowl, then this might see a bit of resurgence in popularity and another expansion could see the light of day.. (but sadly, the reprint rumors have not become fact yet either, guhhhhh)

Not sure the legacy Blood Bowl game needs reprinting, it's still one of the most played game in many game communities, plus the actual amount of extra stuff around BB is the craziest thing I´ve seen in any game, making it difficult probably to make a new core game compatible with everything.

Also there is still a market for the original Blood Bowl, the figures in particular. Note sure GW would allow FFG to take over the market.

Edited by Indalecio

There is long-standing rumour that GW are going to produce a new edition of Blood Bowl this year, initial model designed were even previewed at their last big event (Warhammer World? I forget the name) if I recall. Initial reports suggests it's going to be closer to a one-off collectors box similar to their recent Space Hulk release that an actual full-blown new edition with all the extras but at least it's something. If it's successful it might encourage FF to at least do some POD releases for BB:TM.

So another 150$ box with Reikland Reavers and the Orcs team in limited print? God I hate when they do that. To me that hurts the community for the type of game that is Blood Bowl. Cause fine for Space Hulk, nobody played that game anyway so the real addicts will find value in a deluxe version and you don't need to print a ton of boxes. But for Blood Bowl, seriously? Cause I´m not kidding, the amount of players at least here in Europe is tremendous for a game of that age. It's tied in popularity with Warhammer, Magic and War Machine when you look at the store game events in many cities. Granted it must be a certain privileged part of the population playing them because of the price tag (old teams cost you a lever and the KS projects releasing teams aren't cheap either). But still, a limited print for a game like this will not only find admiration from the community, I´ll bet.

But sure, if they ever let this get released, it will renew some interest in the franchise so maybe that's how BB:TM could potentially get another expansion.

I'm with you, I'd rather see a full revival of Blood Bowl over a limited edition collectors set but things have to start somewhere. If the set (a) exists and (b) sells out in record time when it's released, I can't see GW leaving money on the table. There wasn't much they could do to follow up Space Hulk (beyond maybe look at doing a similar set for Hero Quest) but if a Blood Bowl set is successful I have no doubt we'd see GW revive it as a full franchise.

If that all happens, assuming FF are able to find a gap in their schedule between all the new Star Wars stuff, I hope we'd also see some POD teams released at the very least.

I hope so, as always time will tell.

About Hero Quest, since you mentioned it, the license belongs to Hasbro, not GW, so plans for a revival for HQ are probably dead. Some fans even launched the 25th anniversary edition and got sued for it :)

I love the game, a third expansion? Shut up and take my money!