Legend of the Burning Sands

By HidaKenshiro, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

So I was talking with a team member today and he brought up that LBS is likely under the IP for L5R so can i get confirmation this is true as well as whether FFG has any plans for LBS

Edited by HidaKenshiro

apparently FFG staff have a policy against using their own forums, so you aren't likely to get an official response. at least thats what i read over in the netrunner forum

Edited by cielago

apparently FFG staff have a policy against using their own forums, so you aren't likely to get an official response. at least thats what i read over in the netrunner forum

lame

I highly doubt they will do anything with it.

First they need the IP, then they can figure out what they are doing. That won't be happening for maybe a few more months.

That just seems so strange to me.

Probably to prevent he said, she said moments of heresy.

That just seems so strange to me.

Its actually pretty brilliant, think of how many times people would post to the AEG forums regarding something that should/could be handled in an email to customer service expecting an answer. This lays out the expectations clearly from the get-go that you use the channels they put in place to reach the company, rather than posting something somewhere and getting mad because maybe employee X in charge of your issue doesn't spend time on the forums.

It depends on the game. You will see them on the Talisman forum for example.

As for burning sands....don't hold your breath.

L5R is a better story without all these gaijin influences. This is why the story went downhill after the Destroyer War.

We need more Gaijin. One could build entire L5r Gaijin faction from Burning Sands. Seems like waste to ignore them.

We need more Gaijin. One could build entire L5r Gaijin faction from Burning Sands. Seems like waste to ignore them.

If the Senpet aren't in the core box, I'm out!

While I expect this is sarcasm and trying to poke fun at something that some feel strongly about, if that is how you feel that that is your right and anyone who thinks you foolish for it I heavily disagree with.

On topic, I am unsure if LBS technically falls under L5R, I know they were connected but the same was true with L5R and Faerun [if I am remembering correctly], back when WotC owned the IP. So as much as I would find this to be a fun and interesting project, I suspect it won't work out.

I tried to post a similar topic. Was wondering the same thing... Whether the IP included the extended parts of the larger world or just Rokugon itself. Could be interesting... If not for the LCG but for any potential spin off games

While I expect this is sarcasm and trying to poke fun at something that some feel strongly about, if that is how you feel that that is your right and anyone who thinks you foolish for it I heavily disagree with.

On topic, I am unsure if LBS technically falls under L5R, I know they were connected but the same was true with L5R and Faerun [if I am remembering correctly], back when WotC owned the IP. So as much as I would find this to be a fun and interesting project, I suspect it won't work out.

I wasn't being serious re: the Senpet. There's zero reason they would be in the L5R core box.

Re: Faerun, I'm reasonably certain it was never formally combined with L5R. I believe the arrangement was that d20 Oriental Adventures used L5R as a setting rather than Kara-Tur (which *is* part of the Forgotten Realms, like Faerun).

Since d20 was open source (essentially), that continued in AEG's d20 Oriental Adventures books.

It was a number of years ago, though, so I might be misremembering. I know AEG's d20 Swashbuckling Adventures line was published by AEG and used their 7th Sea setting, because I wrote for a couple of those, but I never worked on L5R.

I wasn't being serious re: the Senpet. There's zero reason they would be in the L5R core box.

Re: Faerun, I'm reasonably certain it was never formally combined with L5R. I believe the arrangement was that d20 Oriental Adventures used L5R as a setting rather than Kara-Tur (which *is* part of the Forgotten Realms, like Faerun).

Since d20 was open source (essentially), that continued in AEG's d20 Oriental Adventures books.

It was a number of years ago, though, so I might be misremembering. I know AEG's d20 Swashbuckling Adventures line was published by AEG and used their 7th Sea setting, because I wrote for a couple of those, but I never worked on L5R.

Me could tell it be sarcasm from senpet remark. Me chuckled.

Yes-yes there are d20 open-source version books of L5R that used D&D 3rd edition rules as the base-of-its-structure.

Yes-yes there is also a D&D book that used Rokugan as a setting instead of Kara-Tur.

I would be very excited if FFG brought back Burning Sands at some point.

L5R is a better story without all these gaijin influences. This is why the story went downhill after the Destroyer War.

The decline was during the Destroyer War... I've liked a HECK of a lot more of the stuff since then than I did the endless treadmill grind of the DW.

Anyway.

Focus on gaijin elements should absolutely not be central to game. AEG didn't keep LBS afloat, for good or ill-but nor should the setting pretend there are no gaijin out there. I would argue that one of the great failings of the Destroyer War and its aftermath was having Rokugan take over the Ivory Kingdoms... but only after nearly depopulating them, removing all those thorny questions about colonialism.

Gaijin should be out there, and if the IP includes the LBS stuff, fine, THOSE gaijin should be out there... but anyone expecting LBS to come back in its own right is probably in for a disappointment.

Anyway, the only gaijin I really want to see more of are the Yobanjin...

Edited by Shiba Gunichi

I feel like AEG totally wasted the storyline with the Yodotai. Instead of the beginning of a long story arc about the conflict and interaction between the Yodotai Empire and Rokugan, it was a throw away about a rogue Yodotai commander who was destroyed. I would love if Burning Sands came back in its own right (but don't actually expect it to happen), but I feel like some of the story elements can successfully cross over (i.e. Yodotai, and I would love to see more of the story of the Ashalan and the Naga).

My L5R RPG campaign in 2013 was set in the Second City, and (following the "L5R your way" paradigm) the players had occasional interactions with the people of the Burning Sands such as the Senpet, the Ra'shari and a few Ivinda survivors. We had a great time playing the campaign, and I do hope the cultures of the Burning Sands would somehow make it over to L5R's new incarnation.

I always liked the existence of the gaijin as an unknown wildcard threat. They were always much less interesting on screen.

As a threat that exists largely in the minds of xenophobic Rokugani, they were great.

Me also sad that Yodotai not used to full potential. As the Yodotai are supposed to be these great conquerors that assimilated only the best of the best strategies. A foe that could rival the forces of the Rokugani... and it gets curbed stomped.

Me Rant about Yodotai below.

Wanna know a facepalm-worthy thing about Yodotai? Their stronghold. Oh yes Yodotai actually had a stronghold believe it or not: War Camp of the Yodotai . One might wonder "Why facepalm worthy? It not look so bad." Well look more closely then one will facepalm as well. See it? The war camp works with Shugenja and Strategies ONLY and has almost no synergy with the actual Yodotai cards and how they actually function with whole "followers-matter" theme. One only gets 0 Starting Honor so after only 10 Yodotai cards, one will die by dishonor. One wanna know what actually makes a better stronghold for Yodotai? Foothold of the Mad . Sure your provinces have 0 Strength, but on the other hand you get many perks. One always go first except against another FotM. One can bow the stronghold to make your holdings in provinces cost 2 less gold (min 0) that turn. Also finally one don't lose honor from your own cards.

Edited by OneThatFishes

I despise the Yodotai as they were, but you are spot on for the Stronghold. FoM would have been perfext as they no real holdings.

Abresax would be pleased that people still talk about Burning Sands in 2015.

Where's my 7th Sea? Warlord? :P

War Camp of the Yodotai was an April Fool's joke...