What about the L5R Forums?

By thimacek, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Hi there folks,

I will refrain from saying much about L5R's move to FFG, especially before some more is known of what will become of the game and particularly the RPG, as I'm much more active in it than I ever was at the CG. That said, I could not help but notice that the L5R forums went down today at about the same time as the announcement of the sale to FFG was made.

Considering the amount of interesting and valuable resources, info and clarifications on 4th edition that was available at the forums, I would like to ask whether there is a plan to move the Forum's archives, or the Forums themselves, to the FFG forums, or alternatively if anybody knows if the forums shall keep available at AEG later (and then they being down atm would be only something temporary).

Thanks!

Fat chance, honestly.

You would have to ask AEG. It is their forums. Likely shut down for now to stop any backlash.

You would have to ask AEG. It is their forums. Likely shut down for now to stop any backlash.

Dave Laderoute said o facebook it is down to avoid people posting there while being emotional at the moment about the change. He also said it is planned to reopen some parts again next week.

Pretty much what I figured.

Dave Laderoute said o facebook it is down to avoid people posting there while being emotional at the moment about the change. He also said it is planned to reopen some parts again next week.

Eh.... Toqtamish, you do notice I asked whether there was a plan for FFG to move the archives here. I do know now (but I didn`t at the time I posted) that FFG doesn`t usually answer such things on the forums, but I do believe such a question is not out of place here.

The other question was directed at the community - and I would gladly have asked it on the AEG forums if it hadn`t been blocked.

As for the forums "being down to avoid people posting there while being emotional about the change" - ok, it is somehow expected. Still far from a nice treatment of the fanbase if you ask me.

While I agree with you, did you see how Facebook exploded? As much as I hate it, smart move by AEG(if a little cowardly).

Eh.... Toqtamish, you do notice I asked whether there was a plan for FFG to move the archives here. I do know now (but I didn`t at the time I posted) that FFG doesn`t usually answer such things on the forums, but I do believe such a question is not out of place here.

The other question was directed at the community - and I would gladly have asked it on the AEG forums if it hadn`t been blocked.

As for the forums "being down to avoid people posting there while being emotional about the change" - ok, it is somehow expected. Still far from a nice treatment of the fanbase if you ask me.

Highly unlikely it gets moved wholesales. AEG boards will be back soon enough I am sure.

I don't know if it's been this way for a while, but if you go to the AEG website, it has zero on anything L5R related at all.

The L5R.com page is still around.

I don't know if it's been this way for a while, but if you go to the AEG website, it has zero on anything L5R related at all.

The L5R.com page is still around.

Shutdown is temporary.

That's what I expected when the forums got locked down. It makes sense from there perspective to maintain control and was a smart idea to promote and direct the most active forum users to fantasy flight. I messaged the forum director and aeg social in regards to the forum archives and from what ive heard it does sound like they'll be opened back up in a week or so with the l5r sections in a locked state. Readable just not up for continued posting.

Now as far starting a new community of l5r forums here goes i think the creation 9f an L5R RPG section in the forums is neccessary.

While im aware there has to be antly info or declaration from the powers that be at FFFG about the RPGs continuation and may not be for another 2 years the 4th ed. RPG is still active and has alot of ideas to share with each other. At very least alongside providing a section to share rpg threads so the LCG doesnt get bogged down they can assure us that the story and RPG fans of l5r wont be neglected under there ownership.

While I agree with you, did you see how Facebook exploded? As much as I hate it, smart move by AEG(if a little cowardly).

Agreed that it's a smart way to avoid flame wars. But it IS cowardly - more than a little I'd say.

Keeping all comments related to this move to a single forum would be way better. I mean, there were a number of ongoing discussions regarding homebrew options and ways to handle different things that simply dropped dead due to their move. Anyhows...

But it IS cowardly - more than a little I'd say.

Rather than cowardly, I would call it an act of mercy toward their forum moderators.

Wisdom is in the things you often cannot see.

Also, with the froth that has been surrounding some of the players? I can imagine the torrent of bile flowing onto the digital battlefield.

Well, most of the feedback here is "Better off without them I just wish I did not have to wait 2 years." So it's not too bad.

Other than some of the hard working staffers, like the story team, does anyone miss AEG?

Well, most of the feedback here is "Better off without them I just wish I did not have to wait 2 years." So it's not too bad.

Other than some of the hard working staffers, like the story team, does anyone miss AEG?

Basically this. I feel bad for the story team, since they're unpaid volunteers (for the most part) who do what they do out of a love of the setting, and especially because the current crop were producing stuff I really enjoyed.

I also have sympathy for the Brand team, who were really doing their best to reach out and get a feel for the playerbase's wishes.

But on the "colorful cardboard I play games with" end of things? I think the game is in better hands now.

To be fair, I am already seeing many long time players showing up on these forums.

To be fair, I am already seeing many long time players showing up on these forums.

Which mostly means AEG's smart move to avoid criticism on their forums amounted to shoving players off to rant about their move on the buyers' forum. Which, you know, is exactly what I'm doing right now :P lol

Anyway - I understand for CCG players the change, aside from the dump on the story team and brand managers (which is a real bummer imo) is basically "move to a better company, wait 2 years". For RPG players it is more like a move from "why is there a single new book planned? Is 4th edition coming to a close and 5th edition on the make?" to "Gosh, 4th edition is gone for good - god knows when we'll have something new, and WHAT".

But well, this is starting to get too far off-topic. For now I only hope they reopen the forums soon and keep it open so we can resume our homebrewing and setting discussion :)

Wisdom is in the things you often cannot see.

Also, with the froth that has been surrounding some of the players? I can imagine the torrent of bile flowing onto the digital battlefield.

Alas I think an argument can be made that turtling immediately rather than allowing the playerbase to react on AEG's own home ground forum likely is only adding to the bile from some quarters. It looks poorly, even if it spares the moderation team the misery.

Lose/lose situation, really.

The other thing to keep in mind: They no longer have the rights to host it anymore.

Oh, and as to the RPG, Atlas was the final 4thE book as far as AEG was concerned before this. 5th Edition was already on the hopper. Now it justbfalls on FFG to make.

Edited by Sashmiel

The other thing to keep in mind: They no longer have the rights to host it anymore.

Oh, and as to the RPG, Atlas was the final 4thE book as far as AEG was concerned before this. 5th Edition was already on the hopper. Now it justbfalls on FFG to make.

Do they really not have the rights to host it anymore? I mean, discussion on AEG's former games are hosted there, some of which I believe kind of still exist in one way or another. But I might be wrong. If I am, I just really hope the archives are kept - for the same reasons mentioned above: particularly for the RPG, the forums were a huge repository of rules clarifications and homebrew options.

As for '5th Edition was already on the hopper' - it was basically what most players thought would happen, although a fair amount of them was convinced there was no good mechanical reason to come forth with a new edition AND that there were still some topics which might be approached on 4th edition. But well, we now know for sure that's what shall happen, if something does. Now to wait and see how that's done.

The Alderac forums still holds the Gone But Not Forgotten section for other games that've left them in the past. I see no reason why L5R would be an exception.

Those forums need to come back at least long enough for people to download/save interesting discussions and materials, make arrangements to keep in touch with their friends there, etc.

Those forums need to come back at least long enough for people to download/save interesting discussions and materials, make arrangements to keep in touch with their friends there, etc.

This!

I mean, at the VERY least long enough for that.

SOME of the forums are back.

Not the parts I think most of the good stuff is in.