Looking for official answer to question.

By Briareos, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

I use to play L5r a LONG LONG time ago. I'm just wondering if FFG has made the decision to reboot the storyline or just continue it from where AEG left off?

I use to play L5r a LONG LONG time ago. I'm just wondering if FFG has made the decision to reboot the storyline or just continue it from where AEG left off?

this quote, from the product page, is the only hint we have so far as to the answer: " Throughout the development of the LCG, our developers will ensure that the game maintains its connection to Rokugan and the Colonies, as well as the game’s pervasive themes of honor, nobility, magic, intrigue, duty, and warfare"

The reference to the Colonies suggests that, at the very least, they will be preserving the current timeline if not the active Onyx metaplot.

The only official comment you will get this early on is "no comment".

Right, FFG makes it a point not to comment in their own forum.

Im not sure they are going to pick up where they left off either. That intro is talking about where l5r comes from.

That being said a reboot from the original clan war era would be awesome. I have followed it for years and the old stuff by Ree was by far the best.

Starting it from clan wars and putting new changes based on fans would be awesome. Could end up with 1000 years of darkness being main storyline.

Edited by tadaka

AEG is sending FFG the Fall Kotei results so if they didn't plan on incorporating them why would AEG bother?

I'm not sure they are going to pick up where they left off either. That intro is talking about where l5r comes from.

That being said a reboot from the original clan war era would be awesome. I have followed it for years and the old stuff by Ree was by far the best.

Starting it from clan wars and putting new changes based on fans would be awesome. Could end up with 1000 years of darkness being main story line.

Not gonna happen. I expect a time jump is likely however.

AEG is sending FFG the Fall Kotei results so if they didn't plan on incorporating them why would AEG bother?

That's really between FFG and AEG at this point.

Regardless of plans, FFG would be fools to say anything other than, "Give us everything you got."

They can always figure out what to do with it later, or whether to use it at all. It's still two years to launch.

If they don't take it now, and decide they want it later, it may no longer exist to be had.

So, there is mention that FFG does not comment on it's own forums, so...

Are there people on the ground floor that keep their ear to the street? Forum admins or mvps that have contact with FFG? Any idea that they read this at all?

Thanks!

Yes they read their forums. Yes they have moderators who are FFG staff. And yes some of us will let them know if something comes up they really need to know about but they usually already are.

Good. Transparency has always been a point of emphasis for L5r players(sometimes to a fault).

Just don't expect to see them directly answering stuff on the forums, that very rarely happens.

To set your mind at ease, the main guy behind the FFG purchase of L5R, actually worked on L5R back in it's Wizards of the Coast days and has done well in the tourament scene over the years.

So, FFG bought it purely because the fans wanted it. So with the project spearheaded by a fan of the game, don't be worried that FFG will somehow cheapen the L5R brand.

I don't want to sound like a company spokesman, but I really think that FFG have L5R's best interests at heart and want to use the LCG model to keep the game alive. The CCG model simply doesn't work any more.

What he said ^

I know two FFG employees who are big in to L5R, one of them I know fairly well. I am not worried at all. Just super excited and planning to attend my first GenCon.

I want to go to Gencon 2017 so much right now it isn't funny.

^ This, times 1,000.

Make me happy to know L5R is in good hand!

Now I just have to wait for two years... :(

I am not a doom and gloomer, but I am a reserved optimist with realistic spectacles. I am ecstatic that FFG has bought the L5R IP. I have every confidence that they will make and excellent product and more importantly, they have every reason to make an excellent product. They did BUY L5R from AEG. Is it possible to be frozen in carbonate in a month or so and rescued from Jabba's palace, (and not thrown into the Sarlac pit and be thawed - I know I am asking for a lot) a couple of days from GenCon 2017? Anyway, back to the subject of this thread.

1. I hope FFG will allow and encourage fan sites (I am a mod at the Crane one).

2. I hope they also allow and encourage fan run events during the 2 year gap.

And finally,

3. I hope we hear their stance on use of mons on custom, fan-made, not for sale/profit, prize support.