Teach me the way, Sensei (how to pick a clan)

By Budgernaut, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

This question goes out to you veterans. How do you (or how did you) pick a clan? Do you choose by the values of the clan? Do you look at the central mechanics of each clan and choose the clan that speaks to your play style? Or do you just choose the one with your favorite animal or your favorite color?

Do you stick with one clan, or do you like to dabble in various ones?

I picked one that was closest to how I view myself. I'm a Navy sailor, so I picked the Mantis, upon really getting into them I fell in love. Not only are they a Naval Force, but they are a land force to be reckoned with. The story of their development and growth, and how it was the players that forged the faction are amazing to me, inspiring even.

In the past, you'd look at mechanics, since each clan often had pretty distinct themes. obviously thats not the case, so i think looking at the history of the clans is probably a solid bet. That will no doubt inform the play style going forward, or at least will give you as much idea as anything will at this point going forward.

most people pick one clan, and then become frothing partisans for that clan. the very high level competitive players would often play out of their clan if there was a single deck that was warping the tournament scene, but even then they often had a clan close to their heart.

I was drawn to the crimson red border... :P

Joking aside.. Scorpions was the faction that interested me the most, the fluff the background.

However I think from my play style crab suit me much better.

I like the Crane mostly just because of the Kakita family, but I played pretty much everything in the RPG and look forward to play everything in the LCG (which was not really possible to pull off for all the rares that I didn't got my hand on).

I looked at the initial RPG book, and instantly fell in love with the Unicorn. Since then, I've been a standard-bearer for the riders whenever I can be. I've also come around to loving the Scorpion, Phoenix, and the Dragon, because tattoo'ed monks are cool.

I've taken several personality quizzes over the years and have pretty consistently come out as Lion. But that just sound so boring to me! I'd rather be a scorpion because that's my favorite animal, even though their tactics appear to be ... less than savory.

In a way it's kinda like Harry Potter and the sorting hat. I'm told I belong in Lion, but I want to try out Scorpion instead! :P

Personally, i started with the crane cause i like dueling, then played mantis cause Blackened Sky was a hilarious card and i loved the deck i built around it. Then Daigotsu showed up and that was basically it. Daigotsu was my boy and i've been a fanatical adherent of first the Lost, and now the Spider, ever since.

Choose one based on fluff and fiction. Then see if the mechanics are something you like. Problem is, with the move, the mechanics WILL change and the Clans MAY change.

I can point you to kazenoshiro.com for the story to just read some stuff and see what you like.

Choose who you are. I am a Crane.

To echo out Kazuto, normally you'd initially choose the one closest to your lifestyle.

You can always play other clans, especially on a competitive level; however, you'd have your loyalty set the moment you find your clan.

I picked Phoenix to avoid picking Crane (Glory of the Empire starters were Crab, Crane, and Phoenix), and then, once I did a little digging, realized I actually liked the ol' Fire Chickens for who and what they are.

I picked'em based on story. Sometimes that meant my decks were nigh-unplayable (Grrrr Ivory Edition), but that was just thecost of doing business.

For me it was personality. The Crane with their diplomatic but sneaky and precise ways called to someone who loved playing Bards and Dex-Based fighters called to me. Then the Spider with their sinister darkness but ruthless competence (Particularly the Susumu family because I am a Courtier at heart) also called to me.

For you? If you want to be a Lion like Scorpion they have stuff like the Bitter Lies (Crazy devoted warriors)

Scorpion like Lion? Well there is a weird group of Ikoma Lion Ninja that doesn't get enough love.

I am really hoping that the strange little niche families like them (And my beloved Susumu) find a place in the new game format.

When I was playing, I was a diehard Crane. What attracted me was the artistry, elegance, politics and dueling. I really loved the honor-based win mechanic and I like defensive/controlly decks anyway. Plus my favorite color is blue ;-)

Each clan has their own unofficial website. I advise checking out some of their forums to get a feel for what each clan is about.

Spider clan

Spider clan

Does whatever a spider can

spins a web - any size

catches ninja just like flies

watch out here comes the spider clan!

Spider-Clan-Colour-Mon-JPEG1.jpg

The clan of Daigotsu

The clan with fallen memebers of all the other clans

I love those spider clan monks...

The best place to start is the current L5R website. That way you can look at the description and fluff of the clans. FFG might change the overall mechanics behind them so just ignore those for now.

I always loved the Scorpion because of their backstory, but I've been more with the Spider these last few years. Every clan had something that I also liked about them. The Mantis had the Fox Clan, the Unicorn had its Battle Maidens, the Crane had its peaceful shugenja, the Phoenix had its Bloodspeakers (only for that short time!) and bookworms, the Lion had its tacticans, the Crab had its berserkers and money grubbers, and the Dragon had its monks and duelists. This doesn't include all the unique story stuff that happened every now and again (dishonored Lions, neutral monks, and whatnot).

and all the minor clans, like the Wasp, the Badger. But especially the Dragonfly. Dragon + Phoenix! How awesome is that?

Horses. Purple. Chagatai! And then I fell in love with Utaku Remi and her Battle Maidens.

I got started as a Shadowlands Horde player and supporter, for a variety of reasons, but the aesthetics of the nonhumans, especially the Tsuno, was a big part of it. As the setting moved on, I came to increasingly appreciate the Lion (since they were the primary antagonist faction for the Tsuno), and when the Horde was dumped to make room for the Spider (in whom I had no interest at all, as dark humans aren't my thing) I made the jump to the Lion, where I have been very happy ever since.

Though if they ever bring back Omoni and a nonhuman antagonist faction that isn't Spider-aligned, I'll be all over that.

I would say the clan picks you.

My story into L5R. I was introduced to L5R back during Imperial Edition at Dragon*Con by a friend who was working for them at the time. One card struck me- Akodo Toturi- Fallen Lion Clan Champion. And his quote- One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man. And I had to know more. So, I picked the Lion Clan to start with. I traded 6 pain lands from M:tG for the imperial decks for Lion and Unicorn. I mostly played Lion until Toturi's Army came out in Anvil of Despair. And I immediately switched to them. In the story, Togashi Yokuni, the Dragon Clan Champion, had left the armies of the Dragon Clan in the command of this disgraced ronin. In game, this allowed two personalities, Mirumoto Hitomi and Togashi Mitsu, to join either clan really cheap with an event called Alliance. I was winning pretty consistently with Toturi's Army. During that time, a discussion with someone they claimed that no one could win with Dragon Clan, because they were too vanilla. I took that challenge...and went on to win the next 8 tournaments with Dragon. While I really liked playing Toturi's army--- I realized I had found my home with the Dragon. Their path to victory wasn't as straight forward and aggressive as the Lion or Unicorn or like the Honor rocket Crane or to honor lock your opponent like Scorpion. It was a little more indirect, yet just as effective.

That is why I am Dragon.

Shrug Phoenix just called out to me. Loved the original strong hold with the dragons. No corrupt dragons for me however I made due with the 5 gold :)

. Love how Tadaka burned the corruption from his body in the day of thunder and we got him back corruption free in thunder form.

Edited by tadaka

Try out a few games. Find a play style you like. Play that clan. :)

Well, I'll have to wait 2 years to follow your advice. ;) But I think it's good advice.

I've been browsing through some cards an think I'll have to pass on Scorpion after all. I'm comfortable with assassination for the glory of the empire, but the geisha theme doesn't sit well with me. I'm beoming more open to Lion, but Phoenix is starting to look interesting as well. I'll just have to wait and see.

But I love hearing stories of how you chose -- or were chosen by -- your clans.

Well, I'll have to wait 2 years to follow your advice. ;) But I think it's good advice.

Well, you could try the current game, but I suppose you'd only be risking heartbreak by getting attached to a clan that doesn't make the cut. :P

In the RPG I am with the mystical Phoenix Clan.

Me simply chose what me liked most when me first started.

One can switch-over to different clan whenever one wishes.

One is currently Crane but want to play around as Dragon? Go right on ahead.

Think of one's first clan as one's springboard into game so one can learn from their.