Anxieties - Legacy Format

By Kwek, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

If the new cards aren't compatible with the older cards, one can hope that FFG will at least help clear up the rules and make it a supported format.

i have complete faith in FFG with what it will do for L5R as a whole <brand/game/etc.>.
Frankly - we believe that it will be for the better in the long run <i've talked to FLGS about this as well>

everyone here knows that i was torn with the news. mainly, since the CCG will stop receiving official support, but then again it was acquired by a company i have seen done well (Netrunner, AGoT, Arkham>Eldrich>Mansion>ElderSIgn>Call of Cthulhu, X-wing, DnD Attack Wing).

even in the craziness of legacy - we still have turns that stretch beyond 2-3 turns. meanwhile, having a quick game which is 2-3 turns isn't a bad thing at all. less stress at the end of the day actually. so either way- you'd see me indifferent with the number of turns a game is played. actually, kudos to the person who makes a deck like that in my books. the format for me is a puzzle that challenges players to make the most insane things possible. i high-five people with ingenuity of making a unique-insane deck possible.

strategy starts from creating the deck up to its actual execution in my books.

anyway, before we move away from the nature of this thread - all that i am lobbying for is a possibility for the LCG to have a compatibility with the CCG. on the longer stretch - have an organize play (official support) with this combination

again - i look forward to the LCG. moreover, i look forward to the possibility of using the CCG alongside it.

again - i look forward to the LCG. moreover, i look forward to the possibility of using the CCG alongside it.

For the sake of your enjoyment, I hope you figure out how to make it work.

For the sake of the game, I hope FFG doesn't worry about it. If it happens to coincide with the best design they come up with? Great. If not, I'd rather have the better game. The declaration that it won't be compatible with AEG's game is actually a point in the LCG's favor, to my mind. It's an indication that FFG is willing to shed 20 years of accumulated cruft and put out a state of the art game.

I think trying to walk the line between putting out a great new game and something that's backwards compatible is a recipe for disaster.

Hey I don't blame you for finding the transition to be a strange one. I kind of liked L5R when it had a bunch of factions, near the end of the Clan Wars. It's cool to look over the old cards, in particular I liked some of the more bizarre strongholds like the ninja one. I don't think we will see an L5R like that again, but it's okay. Moving forward, one thing I think I will like to see, is a revamped economy system. The last time I really played L5R your first draw depended on gifts and favor or a mulligan. Now is the time to change it.

But I look forward to a -new- legacy format. With new players and tournaments.

Also, things like a Naga faction, Lying Darkness, Ratling and Brotherhood factions...even a gaijin faction, a ronin one or a minor clan one, are possible by simply doing what they do for the Night's Watch with Game of Thrones: They simply have a card that works like a stronghold and attaches to another faction(s).

I say sacrifice ALL the Sacred Cows. I don't care how the game plays, as long as it is fun, easy to learn and intuitive. Its the setting I have always cared about and if that flavor carries through, with Great Clans fighting petty wars with one another in battle, court and the shadows, than so be it.

Edited by kpsmith

being a realist - i am already looking at the possibility of the following designs
> personalities without Force, Chi, GC, HR, & PH.
> no provinces or the standard 2 decks
> winning by achieving victory points through different scenarios/plot cards - political/military/enlightenment

honestly, its better off for FFG to not compromise and focus on making a better game.

being an optimist-dreamer - i am still hoping for that possible compatibility and official support.

FFG should not constrain their design to make any compatibility attempts. If compatibility is possible it should be on the L5R CCG crowd not the L5R LCG designers to find.

For the record ; for those interested in playing with their old cards ; and for those worried about what L5R to play for the next two years.

Yamakori and I are trying ot bring the Legacy Council out of retirement for one last ride, with an eye toward creating a new (definitive) Legacy ruleset for twenty years worth of L5R cards. Probably with an eye toward picking the best rules for the past 20 years of cards, rather than the most recent ones (though that's still up for discussion, and the most recent rules may in some cases be the best).

It still won't be compatible with whatever FFG ends up giving us (or rather, we certainly don't expect it to be), but we'd like to make the old cards as playable as they can be.

You're all welcome to join us in the discussion, at the usual Jade hand location.

For the Empire!

Edited by Himoto

The ccg and lcg cards will no doubt be just as compatible with L5R as they are with netrunner.

Ie, not in the slightest

That's pretty much sure to be what happens, yes.

I'll admit that whenever the topic of converting L5R to an LCG came up on the old forums, I was disdainful. I saw it like a AAA MMO going from subscription to free to play with pay to win microtransactions. When the announcement came I was in mourning.

At this moment, the shift to the LCG model is the thing I'm least worried about. I think that most of us can admit that there were things about L5R mechanically that we didn't like or that turned people off to the game, and I'm willing to sacrifice a few of my own cows if it means a smoother playing game that I can easily teach to new people. I suspect that Legacy (or whatever format the old school community decides on) will be a fan run project. I have about zero expectation that there will be any kind of conversion of new cards to the old system.

To be honest, L5R cards were always worthless an arc later... Its not like the Design Team was consistent over 20 years. Let's kill the sacred cows, start a new story and see a new, better game in 2017.

Yoritomo no Kami is not a worthless card. Such blasphemy, how dare you! By the way, you are pretty Crane. Can I have your email.

Also Doji Ayano my love, you will never be worthless...

Retainer: Yoritomo-sama, I don't think kpsmith-sama is a lady.

Mordae: He has long beautiful white hair and a wonderful Kimono with a floral design with the scent of flowers. Are you calling her less than a lady.

Retainer: No my lord, I didn't mean that.

Mordae: Of course you didn't ( evil gleam of the eyes) You will not disrespect any Crane ladies by saying they are not ladies.

Retainer: Yes Yoritomo-sama...

Edited by mordae

For the record ; for those interested in playing with their old cards ; and for those worried about what L5R to play for the next two years.

Yamakori and I are trying ot bring the Legacy Council out of retirement for one last ride, with an eye toward creating a new (definitive) Legacy ruleset for twenty years worth of L5R cards. Probably with an eye toward picking the best rules for the past 20 years of cards, rather than the most recent ones (though that's still up for discussion, and the most recent rules may in some cases be the best).

It still won't be compatible with whatever FFG ends up giving us (or rather, we certainly don't expect it to be), but we'd like to make the old cards as playable as they can be.

You're all welcome to join us in the discussion, at the usual Jade hand location.

For the Empire!

For the Kolat!

Okay but seriously guys, from this point on, Legacy won't be a patch upon existing rules. Pretty soon, there won't be a current ruleset to patch. So we are going to want input to build the best possible version of classic L5R that we can.

Though possibly we should start a new thread for that, given this one is more about Legacy once the FFG game hits.