Well I never saw this coming.

By rapatpamp, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

I can't afford all these games lol :D

I can afford L5R now. Finally! I haven't really played since Lotus edition days, started back in the end of Jade edition. Jumped back in a few times but kept getting priced out.

This is a great resolution to long-lingering issues with the L5R CCG.

No more CCG. The LCG model is a solid one for L5R.

A complete mechanical overhaul was long overdue. I helped support those mechanics for a long time with the Rules Team. They've been outdated for at least the last 10 years, but AEG couldn't just reboot the whole thing. Not with the "collectible" issue hanging over their heads. At a certain point it became impossible to refactor the game without a change of ownership. Well, that opportunity just arrived.

Best of luck to the FFG L5R Designers. Do us proud!

- Marty Lund

And I was looking forward to the previews today. Hopefully FFG won't leave us hanging for too long. Posting fiction during the wait would be great.

I wonder if this is going to affect the Kotei I'm heading out for tomorrow.... <_<

Edited by Coyote Walks

I can afford L5R now. Finally! I haven't really played since Lotus edition days, started back in the end of Jade edition. Jumped back in a few times but kept getting priced out.

I quit L5R for the third time 2 years ago for AGOT v1 specifically for the financiall reason.

If they honor the game design and challenge I will be playing both of them competatively.

This is a great resolution to long-lingering issues with the L5R CCG.

No more CCG. The LCG model is a solid one for L5R.

A complete mechanical overhaul was long overdue. I helped support those mechanics for a long time with the Rules Team. They've been outdated for at least the last 10 years, but AEG couldn't just reboot the whole thing. Not with the "collectible" issue hanging over their heads. At a certain point it became impossible to refactor the game without a change of ownership. Well, that opportunity just arrived.

Best of luck to the FFG L5R Designers. Do us proud!

- Marty Lund

Your hard work on that front was always much appreciated. I don't think enough people ever told you that. I'm both anxious and excited to see where it goes. I'm hoping for a game that feels familiar and comfortable to long term players, but streamlined and polished enough to bring in new ones. If that can be possible.

It's funny as I just got rid of all of my old L5R cards about two months ago, thinking that it was a dieing game.

Whelp, wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. And I have to say I'm glad I am. This will definitely be a welcome LCG for me and my family.

I put my older cards (except for my scorpion collection) to the shredder after Emperor edition for the same reason.

I sold most of my collection about a year and a half ago. I'm looking forward to the LCG model as a way I can afford to play again.

Oh man.

EE Scorp LDD Dishonor Bomb.

I started playing L5R in that arc

I started with Shadowed Estate stay at home dishonor. Never worked. Moved to Shiro Chugo Yojimbos

More like

BROJIMBOS

There were so Grateful Rewards in that set. And The Perfect MOment always seemed to come up. EE was stupid nuts.

I got into it when my local gamestore had a copy of war of honor and then a box of emperor edition and the design and production quality blew me away.

Mind you: only me and friend (and occasionally one other guy) play it, and the game is pretty much dead at my LGS.

Maybe the FFG LCG will change that. I think it will.

We had a strong group in the Seattle area, getting 6-12 players every Tuesday-Wed, for over a decade. And that was just 1 of 4 playgroups! The game could not be more alive, and we loved the CCG model. Mind you we are all 30+ and we don't play dozens of games, so the price was a non-issue.

I've been looking at the other FFG games in the last couple of days, to get a feel for their style, and I don't love it, but I would positively, absolutely, love to be proven wrong.

Can't wait.

We had a strong group in the Seattle area, getting 6-12 players every Tuesday-Wed, for over a decade. And that was just 1 of 4 playgroups! The game could not be more alive, and we loved the CCG model. Mind you we are all 30+ and we don't play dozens of games, so the price was a non-issue.

I've been looking at the other FFG games in the last couple of days, to get a feel for their style, and I don't love it, but I would positively, absolutely, love to be proven wrong.

Can't wait.

What do you not like?

Can't wait.

Netrunner added special draft booster packs a while ago. ;) This would make it the closest to a tradition CCG, except for the whole asymetric play style thing...

But I'll second bayushiCroy: what don't you like about them?

To be fair I was sceptical to when if first started with CoC LCG.

I need to back pedal here. I've seen the 40k tutorial, bought some of that, and I played a GoT game about 10 years ago(may not have even been a FFG product), and a CoC game at Gencon 2004(demo).

The 40k Conquest game made me puke a little inside. Seemed like a board game where they are trying to force a tcg on. I bought 2 expansion packs for fun. Cards 67-110 I think. That is not a lot of cards, or variety.

Everyone talks about how cheap a LCG is, yet on other game threads on this site, people talk about having to buy 2-3 core sets. How is this cheaper? If the game is not cheaper, and the cards are very few, what is the bonus of the LCG model? I can go on for a while, but it would be a semi ignorant post, cause I don't get it.

My fear is that my l5r playgroup of 6-12 peeps, will have to buy 36 core sets and even then we each will play similar decks. Again, I've only seen the 40k tutorial, so I'm almost exclusively talking out of my butt.

I...just don't know.

You don't need to buy 2-3 core sets unless you plan to play super competitive. And even then it is still much cheaper than a CCG and you get a complete playset for sure. Spend the same on CCG and you will very unlikely end up with a complete playset. The monthly expansions are about $15 up here. So get 6 of those and that is a third of what I was paying buying two boxes of boosters for WoW TCG expansions.

It's cheaper compared to CCGs in that you aren't stuck buying entire booster boxes in the hope of getting one ultra-rare or not having to spend 30+ bucks for a single card on the after market...On the other hand, you have the netrunner LCG and you needed 3 feckin' copies of San San City Grid in order to properly run an BNN deck... but I digress.

The other "bonus" for a LCG is that since we're all playing with the same cards, it's the one with the best strategy (or luck of the draw ;) ) that wins, rather than the gimp who shelled out 500 bucks for a netdeck full of ultrares. So if your deck is doing well you can brag about how good your build is. On the other hand, you no longer have "he had better cards than me" to hide behind.

And you don't have to buy 2-3 core sets- ah who am i kidding? Mind you FFG has gotten a bit better at it: first cycle of coc did not have 3 of each card in the expansion packs! (bah!) with netrunner all the expansions had 3 of each, but the core set had some cards in there only once. (gaaah!) Now with 40C all cards in the core are one of a kind...yeah you still have to buy more coresets, but atleast you get more (different) cards and you are not stuck with a bunch of useless extras.

Let's hope that by the time L5r comes around, we'll get 3 of each in the coreset.

Edited by Robin Graves

Yeah I don't know a single person who doesn't play competitively, so looks like multiple core sets will be the thing. As far as l5r goes, no one cares about playsets. I mean I buy 1 booster box every 4 months for $80.00. That is about $240.00 per year. Then we all trade for what we want between ourselves because we play specific clans. The secondary market is whatever, so no deck is worth $500.00, or even a 1/3 of that.

If I buy 3 Core sets($40.00), and monthly $15.00 expansions(how long? 6 months? 12?), we are talking $210.00. Cheaper, but what, 300 less different cards? Is that the sacrifice of "playset" collecting? 60% less individual cards for complete playsets?

Again in my simple mind I fail to see variety, but like I've said multiple times, I will love to be wrong.

Also, before any FFG homer attacks me(and I don't think that has happened yet) let me say that I KNOW FFG is 10 times the company AEG was, so this is not some kind woe is me post, just...confused is all.

Edited by Asako Gonzo

Yeah I don't know a single person who doesn't play competitively, so looks like multiple core sets will be the thing. As far as l5r goes, no one cares about playsets. I mean I buy 1 booster box every 4 months for $80.00. That is about $240.00 per year. Then we all trade for what we want between ourselves because we play specific clans. The secondary market is whatever, so no deck is worth $500.00, or even a 1/3 of that.

If I buy 3 Core sets($40.00), and monthly $15.00 expansions(how long? 6 months? 12?), we are talking $210.00. Cheaper, but what, 300 less different cards? Is that the sacrifice of "playset" collecting? 60% less individual cards for complete playsets?

Again in my simple mind I fail to see variety, but like I've said multiple times, I will love to be wrong.

Also, before any FFG homer attacks me(and I don't think that has happened yet) let me say that I KNOW FFG is 10 times the company AEG was, so this is not some kind of hurt post, just...confused is all.

Wow You Guy's are really attached to your clans huh? This is not a stab at you! It's kinda cool people get so invested in their chosen clan (especialy with competitive play) But this might be something that FFG needs to be aware of, so they produce enough different cards.

Now me personaly i only play casually because it's just me and a friend who play around here. So I'm a Spider, but I'll play Mantis and Unicorn and other clans (one day I gotta get around to play a Crane deck)

But (I guess) you are lucky that you have group who you can trade with. Imagine you have less players in your area and several play the same clan...

But yeah so far we know nothing of what FFG is gonna do with the game.

I don't say LCGs are better than CCGs, just different. They have smaller card pools, yeah. But You'll get used to it. Took me a bit to switch from CoC CCG to CoC LCG but it worked.

Wow You Guy's are really attached to your clans huh? This is not a stab at you! It's kinda cool people get so invested in their chosen clan (especialy with competitive play) But this might be something that FFG needs to be aware of, so they produce enough different cards.

I know people with Clan Mon tattoos. Yeah. We're really attached to our clans.

I actually do not see anything negative with loosing 60% of the card pool... Lets be honest most cards were pretty colored coasters.

I rather like to have a playset of all effective cards in an environment, so I can build the decks I actually want to play.

Also, before any FFG homer attacks me(and I don't think that has happened yet) let me say that I KNOW FFG is 10 times the company AEG was, so this is not some kind woe is me post, just...confused is all.

I don't know, in the L5R expansions with 50 rares and 48 booster per display, it was not safe to get a playset of certain rares even with three displays, and now imagine the rares that pretty much evreybody wanted to have in their decks, making trading for it pretty much impossible. And that happened more than often enough.

Must have been devastating to Scorpion players when their clan got exiled to the burning sands...

Yandia, I understand that cards are coasters, but a limited cardpool probably has quite a few coasters too no? I think Isawa Chuckles mentioned something like this in another thread.

I guess in the end, it doesn't matter.

Must have been devastating to Scorpion players when their clan got exiled to the burning sands...

They weren't particularly happy, and the Spider's tenuous existence has been a source of a great deal of misery.