What about the L5R RPG and other L5R products?

By Galdred, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

If Fantasy Flight bought Warlord: Saga of the Storm, too, I would have a mini-Cardio Vascular Accident.

I think they best thing they could do would be to disconnect the RPG story from the LCG story. Make them two different time lines or something.

Same there, I always thought the CCG tournament results brought nonsensical things to the RPG setting.

Like the Crane clan achieving enlightenment...groan.....

I am so excited about this.. sadly, though, I had it confirmed by AEG that only the L5R IP was sold. 7th Sea and Burning Sands were not.

Man.. the few minutes of there of hoping at some distant future where the swashbuckling system with drama dice that was the predecessor of the Star Wars RPG engine (in spirit).. that was some happy time, and I really hope that more deals can be reached.

Maybe we should have an L5R RPG forum too? So we don't bloat up the LCG forum? I am so giddy, I could talk about this for days.

Athenor, I can only hope they do sell 7th sea, my wife is still running a campaign with our books that are all falling apart.

I would not be surprised to see L5R 5th edition with custom dice like the recent FFG RPG products usually have.

Fortunes & Winds dice would be interesting as custom dice for an L5R RPG.

I hope it stays roll & keep, but fortunes & winds dice would be welcome!

Read the tweet carefully. The word " Future " stands out. Especially since we are posting these in a LCG forum not a RPG one. I'm sure that's not just a oversight. If we see anything L5R related it will probably be a year or even 2 after the LCG release in 2017.

Read the tweet carefully. The word " Future " stands out. Especially since we are posting these in a LCG forum not a RPG one. I'm sure that's not just a oversight. If we see anything L5R related it will probably be a year or even 2 after the LCG release in 2017.

Probably.. but they knew what they were getting when they bought the license. I'm sure that they'll be working it into their production cycle eventually. FFG isn't usually the type of company to announce a release 2 years ahead of schedule, but they had to in this case.

This is going to be like a slow cooker. A slow simmer until delicious, juicy gaming comes out.

I just don't buy it. Having not seen a new Deathwatch book in over two years but other items like board and card games from the 40k license makes the future of the L5R RPG very worrisome in my opinion.

I mean, the only thing that would be better is if they also bought intellectual rights to 7th sea as well!!!

Please. Please. For the love of all that is good and holy, please. Make this happen.

A skirmish-level miniatures game with pre-painted figures would be more than welcome.

FInally a minis game I could get behind.

While FFG does own the IP now, I'm not quite sure they would be able to use the roll and keep system that is the basis of the current L5R RPG. Probably they would have to license if from AEG (unless they already had an agreement when they sold the IP) . All in all, perhaps they'd consider they would be better of creating a new, propietary system.

Honestly, L5R could work very well with a modified version of the system used for WHFRP 3e and Star Wars as long as they were careful to find a way to work in duels, all the fun non-combat skills, etc.

AEG was always pretty standoff-ish about L5R being in the same universe as 7th Sea (I recall some outright denials at one point). Legend of the Burning Sands, however, was explicitly in the same world. I wonder if that comes along with the L5R IP.

AEG was always pretty standoff-ish about L5R being in the same universe as 7th Sea (I recall some outright denials at one point). Legend of the Burning Sands, however, was explicitly in the same world. I wonder if that comes along with the L5R IP.

I would assume so, since Rokugan has colononies by now in the former Ivory Kingdoms, which have been part of the Burning Sands related stuff since pretty much always, and there are so many other ties that it would be strange if the Burnings Sands stuff would have stayed with AEG, especially since they have done nothing with it that was not also part of L5R for many years.

While FFG does own the IP now, I'm not quite sure they would be able to use the roll and keep system that is the basis of the current L5R RPG. Probably they would have to license if from AEG (unless they already had an agreement when they sold the IP) . All in all, perhaps they'd consider they would be better of creating a new, propietary system.

My given understanding of the situation (which is admittedly flawed, and if I am corrected, I am corrected) is that the roll and keep system is part of the IP, which would mean they own it as well.

I would also very much like to see the RPG system Continue. It also seems natural that the RPG Continues. Thought the hart of the game is not the mechanical roll and keep but the concept of schools. The roll and keep is honestly bloted and slows down the game. Actually the star wars dice would drastically speed up the game and only improve it.

French GM of the 4th edition L5R RPG and players of 1st to 3rd, I hope you will keep Roll & Keep and make some books for 4th edition and not make a 5th with your strange dices :)

I, too, will look for how FFG handles the L5RRPG--including whether or not it will support online game play. The Winter Courts, although much work, are much fun, and I would like to see them continue.

It would be interesting to see what FFG all acquired when it comes to the L5R intellectual property. Mechanics and systems are still a grey area when it comes to IP laws (namely whether they can be copyrighted). This might mean that they only have limited access to the old CCG mechanics and may not have access at all to AEG's house roll and keep system. I would imagine that in the intervening two years FFG will be exploring all the avenues available to them. I would like to think they wouldn't feel beholden to the roll and keep system because better mechanics may exist.

The story and fictions are something that i really want to know how will continue, the fictions was something that entertain me most in L5R!

That is because it flat out is a different world. Look at a map of Rokugan and a map of Theah (7th Sea's world). They don't line up at all. The two foreign nations that were Occidental in theme, Thrane and Merenae are not in any 7th Sea book. Burning Sands on the other hand has explicitly been part of L5R's setting from its inception, one of the initial factions was an offshoot of the Unicorn clan and there are Burning Sands cards featuring L5R personalities, notably Bayushi Kachiko.

A skirmish-level miniatures game with pre-painted figures would be more than welcome.

Well, L5R had clan wars (for which, I am one of the lucky ones to still have the book and some minis for it);

I hope clan wars came with the L5R IP.

I would love to see it making a come back (specially now that the "one that shall not be named" is taking a nose dive).

Over 15 years ago, that wargame crashed and burned, but because they started way too ambitiously in a context where one miniature gaming company had the monopoly;

now, the community is a lot more diverse...I think that as a skirmish game that may evolve eventually to a large scale battle game, this game could make a come back (what's not to love about samurais, onis and dragons ?)

just my 2 cents.