What about the L5R RPG and other L5R products?

By Galdred, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Will the rights to L5R RPG, board games and miniature games also go to FFG, or does it only concern the card game?

I would love to see some L5R board games.

L5R is one of my favorite RPG systems. Please give us word on if you will have a RPG line.

This is indeed quite important. I do FFG will support the rpg line along with the ccg property.

That's a great question, I never got into the CCG but I loved the RPG and have collected every book from each of the editions! If we do see an FFG L5R I hope we see names like John Wick and Ree Soesbee (even if she gets hyperbolic about how great the crane are) on the cover.

This would awesome, provided they don't drastically change the RPG system (4th ed is actually quite good).

If the RPG get's the FFG treatment, that'd be great news (though it would suck to have to buy all the books again :( )...

But if they decide to go into clan wars.... holy crap !!!! that wold be evil-gasm level of excitement !!.

As someone who mainly plays the RPG, I would like to know from FF if they have made any decisions about the future of the Table Top version of L5R.

It says the bought the rights to the intellectual property of L5R. So I would expect all the things in the future.

It says the bought the rights to the intellectual property of L5R. So I would expect all the things in the future.

The question is if they see the RPG as being financially worth it to continue. They could simply decide to print only the card game.

I'm pretty sure we'll get an RPG in the future. Its just one of those things that people expect from l5r, and that FFG does amazingly well. Hopefully we see something l5r related before 2017 though :(

A board game using a revised version of the Game of Thrones rules seems like a natural fit.

Wow.

I'm looking forward to what FFG does with L5R. I might get back into the card game now.

And I wonder if they'll create a new edition of the RPG. 4E is rock solid so they'd have their work cut out for them.

I'm really hoping the FFG crew doesn't forget the RPG fans. 4th ed was amazing (and sold well to boot). My group and I will continue to play it, in the hopes that we either see support from FFG, or even a new edition.

Please don't forget about us FFG! You guys do so well with RPGs, and I'd love for you to continue support for 4th ed, or maybe make your own (but please keep the d10 system). Either way, we're willing to throw money at you!

I have always wanted to play the RPG, but the books are almost all digital these days, and aren't sold at my FLGS. If FFG does give it their amazing treatment I know it will be sold at the store I go to. This could very well be the beginning of an amazing new era for L5R.

I played the D20 LR5 and really loved the world, I hope they release an RPG.

I'm extremely hopeful there's more than the LCG being made. L5R has always had a fantastic rich story that would translate well into many other game types. I love Fantasy Flight and hope they realize the potential they have on their hands with this franchise.

Rokugani-themed Descent. It is the only thing I can think of.

Given the fanbase they have built in I would be rather surprised to NOT see L5R RPG getting made, L5R board game too.

Might be in 2018 after they get a chance to recoup some of the expenses of the purchase and design changes of the LCG

I'm certain FFG can develop an rpg that both keeps the sacred cows of the Roll and Keep system while pushing some driving and innovative mechanics and concepts in an RPG. I'll keep my L5R 4th book, and look forward to the next incarnation of the RPG.

Rokugani-themed Descent. It is the only thing I can think of.

Second!

As someone who has played L5R RPG from 2nd edition to fourth, I can say that this move is a GREAT thing. AEG was, well, lets say one of the least customer service orientated game companies out there. During that same time, I have played pretty much all the 40K RPGs since Dark Heresey, and have never felt disappointed by FFG, but rather enthusiastic about their products. One example was GenCon about three years ago, we went to the AEG area to buy the newest l5R book, and they only brought 20 copies each day, and we never could buy it. Meanwhile, FFG, had just come out with Black Crusade. All nervous we saw they had a few copies left on display and were afraid we couldnt get one. Until they brought out a whole stack of books for people to buy.

Rule number one of business, never turn away a customer with money. FFG understood this. Its reason it has been a company I continue to buy products from.

That said, I do hope they continue the rpg! I know they would only do it well, and give us a good game. I think they will, when AEG put a pause on the rpg during third edition, they saw a huge drop in sales of the CCG. The RPG may not be as profitable as the CCG (Now LCG), but it has a synergistic effect on the sales of it.

One question bugs me, though. L5R is well known for the connection between players, tournaments, and storyline decisions. It is something that I never saw very well in FFG games. Could we expect that sanctioned tournaments for L5R LCG, Koteis and the play-by-forum RPG will contribute for the constant evolving storyline?

Question answered! Its official, I am jumping up and down like its Christmas. I mean, the only thing that would be better is if they also bought intellectual rights to 7th sea as well!!!

I would not be surprised to see L5R 5th edition with custom dice like the recent FFG RPG products usually have.

Fortunes & Winds dice would be interesting as custom dice for an L5R RPG.

A skirmish-level miniatures game with pre-painted figures would be more than welcome.