So Excited

By Toqtamish, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

I started playing L5R back in 2000, played for a few years, quit and came back but could never keep up with the CCGs rare chasing. So excited to see it coming back even if it is two years away. GenCon 2017 or bust.

I started playing L5R back in 2000, played for a few years, quit and came back but could never keep up with the CCGs rare chasing. So excited to see it coming back even if it is two years away. GenCon 2017 or bust.

Same, Played heavily in Gold/Diamond and briefly in Samurai. Very happy L5R is coming to a company that isn't totaly trash at game balance!

I am extremely concerned about these "mechanical changes" they are talking about. If it isn't two decks and provinces it isn't going to be l5r. If that plays out to be true then my favorite card game will be dead. Will suck

There is no way they are going to change the basic identity of the game, that wouldn't make sense (and there's no way aeg would have sold it unless there was a guarantee they would keep the game "the same"). But iI amhoping they manage to simplify some of the ways cards used to interact with one another.

Mostly I'm just very happy iI havea chance to play l5r again.

Ffg knocked the netrunner relaunch out of the park, no reason to think they won't do the same with l5r 2.0!

It's funny, I swore up and down that Doomtown: Reloaded was AEG's dry run to see how a non-CCG version of L5R would go over. Never expected it to happen this way though! I'm absolutely giddy over here.

This is fantastic news. Couldn't be more excited.

I am extremely concerned about these "mechanical changes" they are talking about. If it isn't two decks and provinces it isn't going to be l5r. If that plays out to be true then my favorite card game will be dead. Will suck

I wonder if we'll see a bit of Game of Thrones seep its way into L5R.

Here's hoping they bring Shadowlands back... but a good, balanced and properly supported version of l5r would be the bee's knees.

Wow! Wow! Wow!

At my very first regional tournament for Star Wars: The Card Game, I had a first-round bye. There was a fellow at the store who asked me some questions about the game and then he told me all about Legend of the Five Rings CCG. Having lived for 2 years in Japan, I'm quite partial to things from that area of the world. Over the past couple years, I've repeatedly gone to AEG's website to read more about the game. I've read the rule book multiple times. I got so close to buying this game on so many occasions, but I knew the blind buy system would just ruin it for me, so I stayed away.

I'm sooooo excited that I'll be able to try this game out in a living card game format! I can't wait!

I have played L5R since Jade. It has been my game I have always stuck with. I do love FFG and I think they will do an outstanding job with the property. It stinks that I will have to wait until 2017 for new cards, but I am very excited for the re-launch! All I ask is that my Crab stay BAMF's please and thank you.

They are going to have to rebuild the mechanical functions of the game from the ground up. They are 20 years old, folks. They were dated back when Legend of the Burning Sands and 7th Sea were in print.

Keeping Legend of the Five Rings alive is a matter of keeping the Brand of Rokugan consistent. You probably still need to support 1-on-1 conflicts between players that involve some mechanics or another for duels, wars, magic, and politics - but that doesn't mean you need a game with 2 decks, 4 provinces, 8 kinds of attachments, and a combat resolution where everyone on one side or the other dies at the end and effectively ends the game unless your guys have a pile of shoe-horned traits.

In fact, I kind of hope they take L5R in a different direction in terms of how you win the game. One of L5R's biggest problems over the years is how it's core game flow was to snow-ball the board state into some sort of inevitability. More stuff. More stuff. More Stuff. Kaboom! The game's over (or effectively over).

L5R would function a lot better if it were played in "rounds" or "hands" or something:
- You fight over the point (a province, a scheme, whatever)

- Someone wins

- You move on to the next objective and start over again

When someone reaches a critical number of objectives, they win.

In the stories, L5R isn't about one side getting one or two incremental advantages early and then cumulatively crushing the other side under inevitability. It's a series of flash-points: Beiden Pass 1, Beiden Pass 1, Kakita Palace, Tsuko's Honor, the Invasion of Otosan-Uchi, Yoritomo's Army, and finally the Day of Thunder - just for an example.

It seems like the game should trend that way, rather than reintroduce the Snowball Model.

- Marty Lund

I started way back during the Scorpion Clan Coup and I've been with the game on and off since then. Part of me is apprehensive about the shift to LCG but I'm also partially relieved that I don't have to bust boxes to get what I want.

I'd suggest that FFG should fully embrace the current community of L5R in this transition so the game continues to be game that I love. Clan previews should remain in place even if they are restricted to only 1~3 cards a set.

Please don't kill off the Spiders FFG!

Keep the Honor victory, keep the Honor victory, keep the Honor victory... :unsure:

And more importantly - the STORY (and Doji Makoto)!

There is no way they are going to change the basic identity of the game, that wouldn't make sense (and there's no way aeg would have sold it unless there was a guarantee they would keep the game "the same"). But iI amhoping they manage to simplify some of the ways cards used to interact with one another.

Mostly I'm just very happy iI havea chance to play l5r again.

Ffg knocked the netrunner relaunch out of the park, no reason to think they won't do the same with l5r 2.0!

I think it's likely we will see a change to complicated mechanics like Dueling and balancing of mechanics like Mantis Magistrates, Crane Dueling and Scorpion Dishonor.

If they change the dual deck and provinces thing I would be rather upset. That's a core design fundamental of the game

Keep the Honor victory, keep the Honor victory, keep the Honor victory... :unsure:

And more importantly - the STORY (and Doji Makoto)!

They have stated they want to keep the feel of the game (things like honor/dishonor) and the story focus.

The storyline may change but I expect the story to be well told and well maintained.

(something I don't think AEG did very well recently, spoken from the Mantis mindset)

I started way back during the Scorpion Clan Coup and I've been with the game on and off since then. Part of me is apprehensive about the shift to LCG but I'm also partially relieved that I don't have to bust boxes to get what I want.

I'd suggest that FFG should fully embrace the current community of L5R in this transition so the game continues to be game that I love. Clan previews should remain in place even if they are restricted to only 1~3 cards a set.

Please don't kill off the Spiders FFG!

Given the 20 card static monthly releases I wouldn't expect to see a ton of that but FFG is very good about releasing previews for product as it comes out.

Spider may make the cut, may not. If it doesn't I'd expect to see Shadowlands/Jigoku instead.

As long as the Mantis are able to be part of the new L5R, and they find a way to stay true to L5R I will be happy. I only started in Ivory, and I have loved this game for the story, as well as the drawn out battles between players. Those battles with so much riding on them are intense and can really make you sweat with the back and forth gameplay.

I have played L5R since Imperial edition but stopped several years ago. I'm extremely excited by this purchase as I love FFG and the direction they're going with games. The original story of this game was fantastic and could translate so well into other mediums. It's a shame AEG never capitalized on it. The card game is one of the best I've ever played and was extremely popular in my area for well over a decade. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the game.

This could be either really good or really bad. What I am most worried about at this point is that 2 years is a long time. I do hope they give us something to look at earlier than that. Otherwise I suspect a lot of people are going to drift off. Also really hoping I still get Naga, really really hoping.

As long as the Mantis are able to be part of the new L5R, and they find a way to stay true to L5R I will be happy. I only started in Ivory, and I have loved this game for the story, as well as the drawn out battles between players. Those battles with so much riding on them are intense and can really make you sweat with the back and forth gameplay.

When I heard about the story decision AEG made with the Mantis I was so happy that I had already quit the game.

I don't see FFG ever making a horrible decision like that.

I cannot wait to write a lovely poem about my Crane Clan beautifully eviscerating you all.

Well guess finally had a reason to make an account here.

For the honour of the Crane!

It's funny, I swore up and down that Doomtown: Reloaded was AEG's dry run to see how a non-CCG version of L5R would go over. Never expected it to happen this way though! I'm absolutely giddy over here.

I thought the same thing. Oh well, I'm happy to see FFG at the reigns.

For a long long time was was wondering if I should go back into the CCG, but the price always bugged me.

With the LCG format I will definitely got back to flip cards again...

What I really would like to see, is a return to a 30/30 format. Perhaps shuffle in the dynasty graveyard back into the dynasty deck when it runs out. Perhaps we can get rid of the endless amount of "draw a card" cards which only seem to exist for deck slimming.

Best info this year so far!