Harbinger toad card question

By Jenna, in Talisman Rules Questions

My husband and I recently purchased the Harbinger expansion (which we *love*), and we encountered this dilemma:

If a card says something along the lines of, "Everyone rolls a die. The lowest roll becomes a toad," and it's a two-player game, and both players roll the same roll... do both players become toads? Or do both players remain untoadified?

I say they both become toads (since they're both lowest (even though they're both highest as well)), but hubby argues players shouldn't becomes toads (he thinks that if there's a tie there is no 'lowest' or 'highest').

I swear these games turn us into lawyers like nothing else.

My husband and I recently purchased the Harbinger expansion (which we *love*), and we encountered this dilemma:

If a card says something along the lines of, "Everyone rolls a die. The lowest roll becomes a toad," and it's a two-player game, and both players roll the same roll... do both players become toads? Or do both players remain untoadified?

I say they both become toads (since they're both lowest (even though they're both highest as well)), but hubby argues players shouldn't becomes toads (he thinks that if there's a tie there is no 'lowest' or 'highest').

I swear these games turn us into lawyers like nothing else.

I believe this card (and all the similar cards in the deck) specifically say: Each character with the lowest result does that or that..

That means, if its a tie, it doesnt matter, you both become toads, if its a four players game, and two of the four roll 2 (for example) and the other two roll 3 and 5, then the two with the roll of 2 are each a character with the lowest result.

We've never given any thought to just re-rolling again until the tie is broken. I suppose that is not a by-the book-rule though.

If it was by the book, I'd rule that nothing happens on a tie in a 2 player game. In a 2 player game it can equally be argued that a tie is both the highest and the lowest result. In a 3+ player game - if the lowest is tied, then I suppose they would both become toads.

Edited by chemical22

Thank you, Cruan and chemical22.

Cruan, I really like your point about 4-player games. That makes sense.

chemical, hubby likes your response, lol.

We'll probably just re-roll, since people seem legitimately divided on the semantics here.

To me, it's all about what creates the most fun. That is the purpose of the game.

Oddly, it is quite fun having a second dice off vs two tied players - anticipation builds, especially if you continue to roll ties.

Now if only I could get my wife to play...