BESTIARY book

By SabreWolf19, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

What Dark Heresy really needs is a complete bestiary for all creatures and npc characters... I was hoping (and still I am) that they will include it for 2nd edition! :rolleyes:

Agreed. While it's true that there is a decent amount of NPC's that get added in each splat book, it's a bit uneven.

With the splats focused on each individual ordo, it becomes difficult to run games around the ordos that do not yet have a splat.

It's not super difficult to homebrew a monster or to port it from previous editions, but my concern lies with statting out Orcs myself, only to contradict the stats my players have been fighting with once the Ordo Xenos book comes out.

Plus not every DM is necessarily good at building monsters, it really limits some games to the few creatures in the books.

I'd really like to have all existing NPCs in a single book organised by faction. Instead of having to remember which book has the right enemy.

The book doesn't need to have any of the fluff around the enemy. Just the statblock, any special rules, and a note pointing out where to look if you want the fluff.

Even just a list of enemies that only has the enemy name and which page of which book has the rules would be really useful. Something that lists all enemies from all books in all the 40K RPGs.

There is an online database of that very information, though it's name escapes me right now. I think it is called the 40k armory or something like that. Weapons, armor, tools, NPCs, monsters, everything.

This probably:

http://www.40krpgtools.com/bestiary/

Though I'm finding a lot of dead links.

Edited by Gridash

I know the one you're talking about. I thought I had a bookmark to it but now I can't find it.

Hmmm. Maybe that was is. For some reason I remember something a lot less organized. I think I might be mixing it up with a repository of fan content that I stumbled across at one time.

Additionally, if the interest is there in the community, we could possibly put together a forum bestiary of home brew creatures for use by the community.

Additionally, if the interest is there in the community, we could possibly put together a forum bestiary of home brew creatures for use by the community.

That actually sounds like a good idea, maybe starting a new thread for homebrew beasties/xenos etc.

We could first of all, if we want to do it fanbased, decides what is it:

-Only a compilation of pages and names of the book?

-A rewriting of all the beasts and xenos from other sourcebooks (deathwatch, rogue trader, DH1, Black Crusade), and integrating the DH2 pattern for them (such as special rules and etc.)

-Do we invent some stuff and decides together if the stuff is worth being published? We put a mention as "fanmade", etc.

Once we decided those things (and maybe others), we could get started. I personnaly like the idead.

We could first of all, if we want to do it fanbased, decides what is it:

-Only a compilation of pages and names of the book?

-A rewriting of all the beasts and xenos from other sourcebooks (deathwatch, rogue trader, DH1, Black Crusade), and integrating the DH2 pattern for them (such as special rules and etc.)

-Do we invent some stuff and decides together if the stuff is worth being published? We put a mention as "fanmade", etc.

Once we decided those things (and maybe others), we could get started. I personnaly like the idead.

My assumption would be that it would simply be a forum thread where GM's could deposit characters/creatures they designed for their games, complete with all relevant stats abilities and gear. But that's a good idea, we could also use it to port 1st edition enemies over with relevant tweaks. honestly both would probably be helpful.

Edit: I suppose there is something else to think about. I don't think this forum does stickies, so that would be a pain when building a players resource.

Edited by Oridaellin

The forum does indeed allow stickies, and working up stats for beasts not in the books could be a good project for either the House Rules or GM Support forums. Let me know and I can sticky a starter thread.

-Tim

Awesome, thanks Tim! It Sounds like a few people are interested already. If you could get us started in the GM section then that would work great!

Sure thing. Go ahead and post there and I'll sticky it.

My assumption would be that it would simply be a forum thread where GM's could deposit characters/creatures they designed for their games, complete with all relevant stats abilities and gear.

I'm up for contributing to that. I've already created a fair number of xenos and xenobeasts for DH1 and Deathwatch (see the NEW XENOS and SPACE HULK VERMIN links in my signature below) that I can convert to DH2 format. Also, there was a brief push for an Ordo Xenos fan project on the DH1 Forums that I was cooking up stuff for before interest in the project evaporated with the release of DH2 . I could dust off those ideas (see post #148 of this thread) and try to get them typed up (eventually).

I have a few Xenos I can contribute, as well.

I've got some stuff I created for my own campaigns, something xenos-malleus themed, I could polish them and post them in the subject.

Hi all, the topic is created: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/185629-dark-heresy-fanmade-bestiary/

I have made it in the game master forum, but maybe is it more appropriate in the house rules?

Tim, if you can make it sticky, it would be nice; if you think the rules I posted in it aren't right, don't hesitate to modify or tell me!

Have fun, I'll post stuff soon enough.

From that thread:

Here will be assembled all the creatures that were taken from DH1 and other lines as much as fanmade stuff to create the most complete "monster's manual" for Dark Heresy 2. It is mainly for fun, but also to get some interesting bases for the community.

The rules of this topic are simple:

-Only post your documents about the creatures you made

I may be misreading this, but aren't those two mutually exclusive?

Glue has been applied :)

Haha, indeed adeptus-B, my mistake. You can post both; remake of DH1 official stuff, and yours. Sorry! I'll correct the mistake.

Alright, submitted an NPC, curious as to what others have come up with.

First blood to you!

It's a pretty generic concept, this work well. I like the fact that these are low stats but there is some stopping power still in the creature.

Yeah, thanks! That was more or less the idea, force a low level NPC to turn into something of a real threat.