Your favorite scenario of the five in WotG? (Spoilers)

By Evil Genius Prime, in Wrath of the Gods

Hello all. Now that I have a physical copy of Wrath of the Gods in my hands, I'm ready to dig in and discuss.

What's your favorite of the five scenarios and why? Which is your least favorite and why?

------------------------------------------

ATTENTION! SPOILERS AHEAD!

------------------------------------------

I'd have to say my favorite of the five is Ragnarok. I've always loved Norse mythology. The mechanic called "Wyrd" is really interesting and pretty darn cool. I love how it gives the players the ability to "go out in a blaze of glory" befitting a Norse Hero. Of the five, this scenario seems to be the most fleshed out and least restricting, despite the preordained and destined feel of it.

I really wanted to love Revelation, The Return of Quetzalcoatl, and That Is Not Dead but they all felt a little weak in their own way.

Revelation seemed a little too "hopeless" since the PC's probably would spend most the game hiding or running from the bad guys. I know it's an apocalypse, but the scenario seems so tight that the PC's have (pardon the pun), no chance in Hell.

The Return of Quetzalcouatl seemed really cool on the surface and might be a lot of fun to play in, but as far as Apocalypses go, it didn't feel very apocalyptic to me. Which sucks. If I run this scenario for my group, I may change it up a bit. Add in another Mayan God. Maybe Tezcatlipoca. Have him be what is manipulating or directing Anders Bergstrom. Not really sure how I'll alter it. But that's one idea.

That Is Not Dead also seems pretty cool. I love Call of Cthulhu and H.P. Lovecraft in general. This scenario might benefit from a dose of more apocalyptic stuff. Sure, Cthulhu is tearing up everything before departing, but the post-apocalypse section seems... less than inspired. Maybe tossing some other mythos baddies into the mix might shake things up more. Have the Star-Spawn and Deep Ones start to set up fiefdoms and ruling over the remaining surviving humans. I could see some other mythos faction rising up and warring with the Deep Ones and Star-Spawn, with the unfortunate humans caught in the middle.

Anyway, my least favorite is Gaia's Revenge. Mainly because I can't think of interesting stories to tell about nature trying to wipe humanity off the face of the earth.

So there it is. Let's discuss! :D

My list would go Ragnarok, Revelation, Gaia's Revenge, That Is Not Dead, and Return of Quetzalcouatl. Ragnarok, Revelation, and Gaia all seem to have great potential for action. That Is Not Dead seemed too overwhelming to me. Like there is nothing that the PCs can do. And the Mayans just seemed to be too slow for an apocalypse.

My list would go Ragnarok, Revelation, Gaia's Revenge, That Is Not Dead, and Return of Quetzalcouatl. Ragnarok, Revelation, and Gaia all seem to have great potential for action. That Is Not Dead seemed too overwhelming to me. Like there is nothing that the PCs can do. And the Mayans just seemed to be too slow for an apocalypse.

The way you feel about That Is Not Dead, is how I feel about Revelation.

I haven't read them all yet but the one that captured my imagination most was ragnarok although I thought it could be a bit hard to play as to make a difference it requires a lot of up close and personal combat to be able to have an the main antagonists and my friends and I just aren't up to it.

It might work well with made up players who are either martial artists or members of the Society for Creative Anachronism or something similar.

I do love the wyrd as it's a pretty cool concept.

I might update what I think about the others as I read them more thoroughly.

See, with Revelation there is still hope. The angels eventually come down and you have the huge battle, and the players can side with the angels to do their part against the spawn of hell. So, yes, you will probably die in Revelation but there is a chance. Against Cthulhu there is no hope. There is nothing coming to save the day. There is no chance to hold out. Eventually you will die, and you will probably die completely insane. That doesn't sound like a good way to go.

Split between Ragnarok and Cthulhu. Still, Cthulhu kinda irked me that he up and left. I was always under the impression that when Cthulhu awoke, he'd stay upon the Earth and establish a kingdom/rulership of sorts, not leave.

I do like the Cthulhu one as well even though humanity is all but screwed. I don't mind that he left because if you keep him too long then you start needing to figure out motivations etc, which are generally considered beyond human understanding. Having him vanish keeps the mystery. Perhaps he already rules the Earth through his proxies in the starspawn and Deep Ones and presides elsewhere in the galaxy.

It would be interesting to mix things up and have all the players discover they are hybrid deep ones. Suddenly the World goes from hopelessness to a new playground full of infinite possibilities with a potentially endless lifespan.

Having read all but the Mayan one so far I'd have to say Ragnarok and Cthulhu are my favourite ones too so far.

With a bit of re-tweaking I could put some interesting things in the Gaea one but I can see why others are a bit cold towards it.

I actually like the Gaea one best since it gives me so many options to utilize pretty much anything...

Since of the scenarios has Quetzalcoatl/Kulkulcan in it, thought I'd leave this here.