Encounters, Killer Instinct card, Blow-through possibility.

By Brazlowsky2, in Doom

Hi there,

Here's some questions: Encounters

1. Is encounter ( the dying scientist ) considered as blocking obstacle ? If a marine must end his movement on it , then that means - it is passable. So the question is - can invader figure occupy encounter area ? For example in "Knee deep in the dead" scenario, there's a dead scientist in area 2, who has a red key. When you reveal room, there's always at least two demons lurking. Can for example one demon stand directly on encounter, occupying both spaces ? It would be perfect red key guard, but is it possible ?

2. Let's say - an encounter is lying on the floor and the demon figure is adjacent to it. A marina ends his movement on encounter and it triggers demon watchful ability. Demon makes an attack and frags marine. Question : do marines still get the red key ? Or marine needs to be alive to end turn on an encounter and survive ?

Now , about "Killer instinct" marine card.

3. How this card mechanics work ? Let's say, i choose to unload. I make one attack, kill an invader. Now i can make movement up to 4 spaces and make one free attack. When i am done with this, can i resume my second attack, that left from unload action ?

Or let's say, i choose to advance. I make one attack from the start, kill invader, trigger my "Killer instinct", then i make another attack ( because of instinct ability ) and now , can i move 8 spaces ? ( 4 from killer instinct ability and 4 from my advance action ) ?

And finally , a blow-through question :

4. We know that marine with a chaingun can make 3 blow-through attacks. But can he make all 3 on an oversized invader ?

Here's how it goes :

XXX41XXX

XXX32XXX

XXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXM

Where M is a marine with a chaingun, 1234 is a Hell Knight figure. Can a marine make attack on space 1, then "walk" his attack to space 2, and then 3 ? ( Asuming all legal blow-through rules, of course ).

Well, thank you all in forward for clarification.

Brazlowsky said:

Hi there,

Here's some questions: Encounters

1. Is encounter ( the dying scientist ) considered as blocking obstacle ? If a marine must end his movement on it , then that means - it is passable. So the question is - can invader figure occupy encounter area ? For example in "Knee deep in the dead" scenario, there's a dead scientist in area 2, who has a red key. When you reveal room, there's always at least two demons lurking. Can for example one demon stand directly on encounter, occupying both spaces ? It would be perfect red key guard, but is it possible ?

2. Let's say - an encounter is lying on the floor and the demon figure is adjacent to it. A marina ends his movement on encounter and it triggers demon watchful ability. Demon makes an attack and frags marine. Question : do marines still get the red key ? Or marine needs to be alive to end turn on an encounter and survive ?

3. How this card mechanics work ? Let's say, i choose to unload. I make one attack, kill an invader. Now i can make movement up to 4 spaces and make one free attack. When i am done with this, can i resume my second attack, that left from unload action ?

Or let's say, i choose to advance. I make one attack from the start, kill invader, trigger my "Killer instinct", then i make another attack ( because of instinct ability ) and now , can i move 8 spaces ? ( 4 from killer instinct ability and 4 from my advance action ) ?

And finally , a blow-through question :

4. We know that marine with a chaingun can make 3 blow-through attacks. But can he make all 3 on an oversized invader ?

Here's how it goes :

XXX41XXX

XXX32XXX

XXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXM

Where M is a marine with a chaingun, 1234 is a Hell Knight figure. Can a marine make attack on space 1, then "walk" his attack to space 2, and then 3 ? ( Asuming all legal blow-through rules, of course ).

Well, thank you all in forward for clarification.

1. Dead scientists are not blocking obstacles, anything can stand on him. This makes it a viable tactic for invaders.

2. Dead men can't pick up stuff.

3. Yes, yes

4. I can't really say for sure, my group never uses blow through items lengua.gif

hope it helped

Agree with answers and regarding 4, we rule yes you can attack the invader 3 times.

Knuckles, your group never uses blow trough items? My group can be brutal with them, i have lost count how many times I had to remove more than one invader due to a well used chaingun attack. And the shotgun is brilliant agains oversized invaders... just shoot that mancubus 2 times!

Scy, my group favors CHAINSAWS. Normally they moan if there's no chainsaw in the beginning.

Knuckles Eki said:

Brazlowsky said:

Hi there,

3. , yes

Can you really move after the attack is done with killer instinct?

I thought you could move up to 4 spaces and then attack with killer instinct, not the other way around.

The card doesn't say anything about the sequence of moving and attacking that the killer instinct card provides. However, I don't see a reason to allwo to resume the action that triggered the killer instinct rules after the bonus movement/attack. That means IMO it is the correct way to allow to spend remaining attacks/movement and then the bonus attack/movement can be used. However, every attack/movement not spent before the bonus attack/movement is forfeited.

Knuckles Eki said:

Scy, my group favors CHAINSAWS. Normally they moan if there's no chainsaw in the beginning.

Yeah my players moan about the same thing :) Still, they prefer the shotgun when more damage is needed against a big gun! And of course they are always very lucky having that terrible unlimited bullet ammo skill, they draw it so often... enfadado.gif

So, Knuckles says that it's possible to resume the action, after Killer Instinct resolves and Redsimon says it's not. Whos right here ?

I would like to stick to the fact, that it's not allowed to resume previous action after Killer Instinct, because if not, it makes this skill card overpowered.

And about that chaingun. It says, that oversized monsters block the line of sight for themselves ( meaning that if you stand in front of an oversized monster , you can't see his rear spaces , only front ). If we trace a line from a space center where marine is, to the space 1 center , doesn't it mean, that space 2 of the same invader blocks our LOS ?It is the same as we would say : M - Marine, space 1 - invader ( zombie ), space 2 - blocking obstacle. Can i shoot the zombie ? I gues not...All that makes 3-time blow-through attack very questionable...

Brazlowsky said:

So, Knuckles says that it's possible to resume the action, after Killer Instinct resolves and Redsimon says it's not. Whos right here ?

Definately going with Knuck-boy here. Killer Instinct is a bonus 4 spaces + 1 attack, it doesn't negate whatever you had left, so you can do the rest after you do your KI extra.

Dam said:

Brazlowsky said:

Definately going with Knuck-boy here. Killer Instinct is a bonus 4 spaces + 1 attack, it doesn't negate whatever you had left, so you can do the rest after you do your KI extra.

The killer instinct card would probably mention it if this action ended your turn. As it is it says you can only do it ONCE per turn, so that probably means you have a choice of doing it for the first or second attack of an Unload action.

So I'm with Knukles and Dam on the issue of resuming action.

But I don't agree that you can save the bonus 4 movements for after the bonus attack. I think the ability is there to allow you to move to the next invader and attack him. Not to kill an extra invader and run away. This is just my opinion and any official answer would convince me.

Ok, boys - you have convinced me on this :) The action can be resumed then. BUT as ad79 said, i believe that these bonus 4 movement and 1 attack can not be saved for further use this turn , because the card says "Immediately after you kill an invader.." , so after you kill an invader, it somehow trigger something like sub-turn for you. And yes , i believe, if you are planing to kill several invaders on current turn, you may not to choose to trigger after you kill first invader, right ? Maybe it's strategicly usefull to trigger Killer Instinct when you kill your last invader , in case to kill one more.

Well, and what about that tripple blow-through attack i posted earlier ? Is my theory about oversized invader blocking himself is true ?

Just a note: I didn't say that when Killer Instinct is triggered that every option not spend is lost. I only said that I think when it is triggered you can only spend the movement/attacks left from your ordinary action before you spend the bonus movement/attacks, not afterwards. So it is just a question of sequence, not of losing something.

redsimon said:

Just a note: I didn't say that when Killer Instinct is triggered that every option not spend is lost. I only said that I think when it is triggered you can only spend the movement/attacks left from your ordinary action before you spend the bonus movement/attacks, not afterwards. So it is just a question of sequence, not of losing something.

You'd be wrong in your conclusions anyway, since Killer Instinct does specify timing (by way of the word "immediately").

Brazlowsky said:

Well, and what about that tripple blow-through attack i posted earlier ? Is my theory about oversized invader blocking himself is true ?

An oversized invader blocks himself. You check line of sight at the moment of your attack and if you walk an attack to the backspace of an invader, it's front space would block line of sight.

So a cyberdemon can only be tergeted twice with chaingun, unless you have Sniper? marine card that allow you to trace line of sight through figures.

But another question is if you can target the cyberdemon in the left square, walk to the right square and then walk BACK to the left square. Or does it say you can only target a square once per attack?

We always play it that you can walk it back. But it's been so long since I read the rules that I don't know if this is explicitly mentioned anywhere or something we just do (houserule).

Back-walking is definately a no-no.