Investigator's Staring Items unavailable

By MrsGamura, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

For example Wilson’s Richards shotgun removed from the deck in scenario nine or Sister Mary’s cross is unavailable due to both of them being used.

I could still see giving Mary here Cross sense it’s not a scenario i.e. make a proxy of one.

but Wilson’s shotgun? These are possible outcomes I’ve thought of…

1) Gets the monetary value of the shotgun 6 dollars

2) Random common item

3) Nothing

4) Still gets shotgun

5) Other

I’m leaning towards number one due to the fact all investigators get around 25 dollars worth of staring equipment (read this somewhere in old forums).

That way it would stay true to the Scenario and to the character’s monetary value for staring equipment.

My perspective on this would be 3) Nothing. It's not in the deck to be given to the investigator, so.... it doesn't get compensated by another item or an amount of money, it's just not there. Go visit the stores in the first turns, then ;)

Same for a new investigator coming in the game after another investigator got devoured and some of his starting items are either unavailable or already in play.

As I recall it, the official ruling was that fixed starting equipment is still given to that investigator. So, if Wilson Richards is in, then he gets his shotgun before any are removed from the common items deck.

Also, I'm not sure how both crosses would be used up before Sister Mary got to them, unless she's replacing a devoured/retired investigator. In that case, I don't know what the technical/official rule would be on that.

Characters have a set amount of dollars to begin with, the character creators/builders use these dollars to buy stats, cards and equipment. IMO not giving the set item to a investigator is making him weaker, which is no excuse, just give the man his dollars. He has to waste a turn buying something anyway, which might still end being something "not so useful".

Taking into matter those odds I say, do it like this.

Scenario 6 states: "During setup, if an investigator has an item that has been removed, they instead receive a random item".

Whether you want to count this as the exception or the rule is up to you, but it is the closest I have seen to an "official" ruling on such a matter.

The official ruling for the Summer league was that investigators get 1 copy of their starting equipment (the other X amount of copies would not be included). If that investigator had to discard the item, it would then be inthe deck with a possibility of being drawn again, even by another investigator. Scenario 6 was an exception to this rule.

If starting equipment is not available for some other reason, then I would randomly draw a replacement card from the same deck as the unavailable card.

Ahh ok. As I said scenario 6 was the most official ruling I had seen on the subject. Haven't actually read through any of the summer league stuff apart from the scenarios so far, as my group doesn't seem to want to play preset scenarios but are just interested in the standard game.

thorgrim said:

Ahh ok. As I said scenario 6 was the most official ruling I had seen on the subject. Haven't actually read through any of the summer league stuff apart from the scenarios so far, as my group doesn't seem to want to play preset scenarios but are just interested in the standard game.

... stupid other people always interfering with plans ... lengua.gif