Varys

By Nick Demus, in Rules Questions

When I use Varys' ability, how are duplicates or additional copies of Varys handled?

Will a duplicate work as usual? Can I play another copy after Varys is removed, or does "removed from game" work like the dead pile? (Probably not, or the text would simply put him into the dead pile, not remove from game.)

Edited by Nick Demus

I have to dart off, so the quick & dirty answer (although, in the future - please post the full card text of the card in question)

1) If you have a duplicate OF varys in play, you can't save Varys (or the cost of his ability wouldn't be paid in full) and have his effect go off. p5 "Costs" (If any part of the cost payment is prevented, ...)

2) If you have additional copies of him in your deck, you are free to play them following having removed the first one from the game. The entry on removed from the game (p17) is quite clear on the fact that the card in question no longer interacts with the game in any manner. The reason Varys is removed from the game is to allow you to use multiple copies in the game, but prevent you from using tricks to recycle varys from your discard pile (like rebuilding) that might enable you to use him more than thrice.

Argh, yes, the cost & effect clause. Still fighting with all those extra bits in the Rules Reference. Thank you very much.

And sorry for not posting the ability text. I thought there are so many experts already (or at least it seems that way ;) ) that one of them will know the answer without having to look up what Varys can do, and whoever looks into this topic will probably do because (s)he just read the card text and now has a question about it. But I'll be better next time.

The Varys card reads..."Interrupt: When the dominance phase ends, remove Varys from the game to discard each character in play."

Is this automatic or do you have a choice to trigger the interrupt?

Interrupts are always optional. If they are not optional, the card will actually say, "Forced Interrupt."

That's what we thought! Thank you!