A house rule already

By Nirnel, in Fury of Dracula

We don't know much about the game yet, but the turn structure, according to the hunters' sheets in the video, starts with dawn (daytime fight), day (only hunters' actions or travel), dusk (nighttime fight) and night (everyone's actions, hunter can't travel). While I dig this, there is one thing I'll miss from 2nd edition.

Right now, during the day, Dracula is desperate to avoid the hunters, and feeling the night approach is an element that adds a lot to the mood of the game. During the night, planning to get to Dracula at dawn is very common in my games. In 3rd edition, though, every turn is the same: if you arrive to Dracula's location (which you only can do during the day), you will fight him at night; and conversely, if Dracula attacks a hunter during the night, the fight will happen during daytime.

The house rule I thought about (hopefully) brings back a bit of that sensation. I would use seasons with different durations of day and night, so in summer all combats would happen in daytime and when winter arrives every fight would be done at nighttime. Spring and autumn would follow the standard rules. The proportion of turns among spring, summer, autumn and winter could be 3-2-3-2 (so 60% of the time would follow the normal rules).

Maybe some other wheather condition can substitute for the passing of seasons in a matter of days more realistically, but this is the gist of the idea. What do you think?

I think, without having played the new version...it is way too early to start making house rules.

Well, I don't intend to test it the minute I have the game, but while everyone in my gaming group thinks the new edition looks great, they voiced that one concern about losing the ebb and flow that night and day make in 2nd edition, and I almost automatically thought about a solution for it. When we have played the game, I will decide whether I propose it in my group or not, but the idea is here already.

The main reason to share it here is to see whether I can get feedback about the number of "spring", "summer", "autumn" and "winter" turns I thought at first. Probably, even if I test the game and I decide this rule would work, I'd change the theme from seasons to something else, though.

If I were to make a house rule for this (and I'm not saying I would until I see the new rule in action,) I would probably just allow Dracula and the Hunters to both take actions duirng the day and during the night. So basically it would boil down to the game being "day" or "night" on alternating turns and players could try to time their attacks against one another for when Dracula is strong/weak accordingly.

Thematically, it makes more sense too. Per the original novel, Dracula was perfectly capable of moving during the day. It's just that while the sun was up he was a normal human - none of his supernatural powers were accessible.

Edited by Steve-O

There are event cards that let the hunters move at night. No need for these rules.

The whole concept is for the hunters to travel by day and resupply by night. That's the only way Dracula has a small chance of receiving event cards himself. Allowing a "always travel by night" rule complete disrupts the game balance in my opinion.