writing and editing

By crosswiredmind, in Warhammer Invasion Rules Questions

I am trying to read through the rules. I say "trying" because it is not an easy task. I appreciate the amount of hard work that goes in to the art and graphic design of Fantasy Flight games. Please, I am begging you, make the same effort to create readable rules that clearly describe the mechanics.

I don't mind challenging games, but reading the rules should not be a challenge as well.

I plan on buying Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. If those rules are filled with run on sentences and errors in grammar I am not sure I will stick with it. In fact I may never buy another Fantasy Flight game if the quality does not improve.

I am sorry if this sounds mean or petty, but games are more than awesome looking components and cool mechanics. Learning the game should not be a chore.

Although I agree that better editing of the rulebook and game components would help create better play experiences and sales, everything has its cost. At the end of the day, publishers like FFG have limited resources to work with when publishing their games. If better editing means taking something away from better (and "funner") game designs, then I'd prefer FFG continue on its course.

Hmm...having read the rules myself, I found them both clear, concise, and filled with (mostly) helpful examples. I also enjoyed the way that the entire Rulebook is laid out. I'm honestly not saying that to be contrary or to be a fanboy (although I clearly adore this game) but they were just far easier to read than many games' rulebooks out there.

Strange how perceptions work. For my part I'd say "Great Job" FFG on the rules for this game and their presentation.

I'm with Whyte. I'm the kind of learner who usually has to be shown how to do something (forget the fancy name for it). I could've figured out WHI from reading the book. The video tutorial made the process quicker, but the rulebook was so well laid-out and concise.