Playmats: print shops (EU based)

By alby1kenoby, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

Hello.

I have been looking for EU-based typographies to buy custom-designed playmats from.

So far I found a few ones that would print on a PVC layer a design which I would supply them for around 20-30 €.

I would like, though, to have a playmat made out of felt (or lycra), possibly glued onto a neoprene layer as this appears to be the best options as to avoid sliding.

Does anybody have any EU-based (cheap) typographies that would print on this material to suggest?

Thank you in advance.

I used a standard print shop that prints large outdoor banners, they charged me 3.5euro per sqm + VAT. They don't ship internationally but maybe you can find something like this near you. Material was called outdoor frontlit, and it's supposed to be for banners, rated to withstand 2 years *outside*.

I've used these guys several times for gaming mats (mainly for 40K): https://www.pixartprinting.com/

They have an online pricing tool that will give you the cost (including delivery) - choose the longer delivery time for lower cost.

They periodically do promotions too, think they might have 25% off at the moment.

There are other materials you can pick there too - I've had a thought about using canvas maybe as a more "non-slip" surface?

I've used PVC (500gsm) as the main material and been very happy with it - here's an example in action.

Thanks guys.

I am finally buying 90x180cm PVC mats from MePrint.it : several players assured me that their quality is appalling: besides, a mat costs less than 12€, which is good. I am trying a standard PVC mat and a PVC-mesh mat, just to see what they look and feel like.

I am still craving one of those felt mats many North American gamers talk about; wonder where they can be found in Europe (will go ask in local sill-screen printers when summer vacations are over).

I used a standard print shop that prints large outdoor banners, they charged me 3.5euro per sqm + VAT. They don't ship internationally but maybe you can find something like this near you. Material was called outdoor frontlit, and it's supposed to be for banners, rated to withstand 2 years *outside*.

@chilligan: which country are you based in, please?

@Artifixprime: did you contact the German Pixartprinting? I called the Italian branch and they explained me how I could make use of PVC or of Canvas but they also stated that they did not think this two solutions would be what I was actually looking for.

Thank you all for your valuable information.

I am still craving one of those felt mats many North American gamers talk about; wonder where they can be found in Europe

http://www.deepcutstudio.com/category/mats-size-3-x6

Since last week, they also offer mousepad-material mats (cloth laid on a non-slip rubber surface), which are both beautiful and practical. I received mine today, and I'm totally chuffed :D

EDIT: ...but they aren't cheap :(

Edited by DiabloAzul

@ alby1kenoby

I started by getting some 6x4 mats printed for playing 40K - these were done on 500gsm PVC, and have worked very well.

So, when I got a promotion mail from them with 30% off PVC banners (what this is usually used for) I got a "space mat2 printed to use for playing Battlefleet Gothic for about €14. This includes delivery.

I think it's great :)

The surface is a bit slippery, but your ships will not be sliding about the board. What it does mean is that if you nudge one by accident that it will move a bit. I've seen the same happen though on a "mouse mat" type of mat too, so to me its a matter of degrees.

I got some more printed recently for myself and a few friends for playing Armada, where I started with the 6x4 space mat I had and added opaque set-up areas to both sides, leaving a 6x3 play area for Armada. Has worked pretty well and IMO adds greatly to the game.

Honestly, PVC is probably not the most ideal material - but from what I've seen it is by far the cheapest. They also come in a sturdy cardboard tube which is very handy for storage :)

If you fancy getting one printed, you can get some good images to use here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/

You can use your own, but be careful as most of the stuff you'll find easily on the internet will not work when you blow it up to the size of a table!

@chilligan: which country are you based in, please?

Romania, but I think you can find places that print billboards or billboard-like products anywhere.

Btw, please use the quote button, I get notified when you do that.