Parry and Counter Attacking with a shield

By Demonskunk, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

So, i noticed a really awkward rule in 2e. Counter attack allows you to make a free attack after parryinh, but it requires you to use the weapon you attacked with.

This is awkward because i use an arbites riot shield to parry, but it makes more sense to attack with my shock maul, not my shield.

Does anyone know if there's something about that?

The rule seems designed to specifically address people using defensive weapons to make attacks with their unwieldy one. So no you have to attack with your shield if you parry with it.

Shields are weapons, in the game and in real life. The only thing awkward here is the -30 penalty to the attack (-20 from talent, -10 from defensive weapon).

Huh. Never noticed that. Even more reason to get a good/best quality shield. Bonus to parry and to the followup.

Of course, even if you have a shield, you can always choose to parry with your main weapon and then attack with it.

It is not awkard. If I can add my two cents, I do historical fencing and other arts about swords, axes and such.

In opposition to common knowledge, a counter attack is the action of attacking with a weapon during the attack of someone. This attack sends away the ennemy weapon; either by brute force or by intimidation, and connects with the ennemy. Needless to say, it is very hard (but also the best way to attack, since it is almost impossible to parry a counterattack).

Counterattacking using a shield is very hard, you speak a lot more of parade/riposte; you block with the shield, then strike with the shock maul in that case.

But it could be argued that you could block with the shield while striking with the shock maul during the ennemy's attack, which take him offguard and could counts, in my book, as a counterattack.

I had always assumed that you could choice which weapon you wish to parry/counterattack with. I thought these things stacked which would be the incentive to get them. Such as having a chainsword and a shield; get the defensive bonus to parry and then counterattack with the sword. I'll double check the book to see if I am wrong and if Utherix is right. I am honestly not well versed in it as none of my players ever use it.