Gaarkhan charge

By gran_orco, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

After reading "move X spaces" rule, I am a bit confused. When Gaarkhan charges, can he ignore movement point cost? So can he move through an enemy figure or difficult terrain with just one movement point?

After reading "move X spaces" rule, I am a bit confused. When Gaarkhan charges, can he ignore movement point cost? So can he move through an enemy figure or difficult terrain with just one movement point?

No - you are misinterpreting the rule. All the rule is saying is that when you "move x", you ignore spending movement points that you may have acquired this turn. Basically, you move x for free, not costing any movement points. All other effects of terrain and figures apply.

So, to clarify, "Move X Spaces" essentially generates X Movement points for free?

So you still have to spend the movement points to move, and still have to pay double for difficult terrain or hostile figures?

Edited by Majushi

Correct.

Move X Spaces generates no movement points, and movement point costs are ignored. This means that each square you enter costs 0 movements points, even if you would normally have to spend 2 to enter it. However, you are not able to move through walls or end your movement in an occupied space:

"Move X Spaces", "Movement", RRG, Page 19:

Move X Spaces: If an ability moves a figure a listed number of spaces, this movement ignores movement point costs. All other effects of terrain and figures apply (for example the figure cannot end its movement in another figure’s space).

When Gaarkhan uses his charge, he's not actually spending any movement points at all. He barrels through other figures, difficult terrain and any other situations that would increase the movement point cost of entering a square with no penalty. But "Move X Spaces" isnt generating any movement points. If you still have movement points left, after the charge is resolved you are free to use those in the normal fashion. You cannot use additional movement points during the charge.

Edited by Fizz

So Darkjodo is wrong? I mean, If Gaarkhan can move 4 spaces, he can move through 3 difficult terrain spaces or 3 enemy figures, for example (but he cannot move through impassible terrain). Right?

Edited by gran_orco

Yes. DarkJodo is (in this rare case) incorrect. What gets people confused is the "all other effects of terrain and figures apply", which in this case (as the provided example in the rule states) means you cannot end your movement in another figure's space, travel into or through impassible terrain, etc... The rule specifically calls out movement point cost being zero.

Gaarkhan gets four spaces of movement during a charge, all squares costing zero movement points, even if each square would normally cost 37 points to pass though. (which is good, because Charge doesn't give you any movement points).

Edited by Fizz

Ok, thank you. Understood.

I would love to see that ruling in the FAQ.

I agree.

Clarifying the difference between "moving X spaces" and "generating X movement points" would be very good.

There are plenty of abilities that do either. (Fenn's Tactical Movement, Jyn has at least 2, Officers, etc)

Well, the FAQ does state:

Q: Does “Move a number of spaces equal to your speed” follow the same rules as “Move X spaces?”
A: Yes.

Which basically just says that one wording should be treated as a specified rule.

I agree.

Clarifying the difference between "moving X spaces" and "generating X movement points" would be very good.

There are plenty of abilities that do either. (Fenn's Tactical Movement, Jyn has at least 2, Officers, etc)

You have to be careful what you try to associate with that. Officers actually grant the figure a move action as an interrupt, and Fenn's "Tactical Movement" actually grant movement points, so these examples would not be subject to "Move X Spaces" rule. But Jyn's "Opportunist" would be subject to the "Move X Spaces" rule.

Basically, you want to look for things that say either "Move X Spaces" that this would apply to. If it mentions a move action or generating movement points, then "Move X Spaces" does not apply.

Edited by Fizz

You have to be careful what you try to associate with that. Officers actually grant the figure a move action as an interrupt, and Fenn's "Tactical Movement" actually grant movement points, so neither of these would not be subject to "Move X Spaces" rule. But Jyn's "Opportunist" would be subject to the "Move X Spaces" rule.

Basically, you want to look for things that say either "Move X Spaces" that this would apply to. If it mentions a move action or generating movement points, then "Move X Spaces" does not apply.

That's my point. The FAQ needs clarification on how to interpret "Move X Spaces" and "take a Move Action". How they are different, because a lot of people may think all moving is subject to the same rules. But these two are not.

"neither of these would not be subject to Move X Spaces rule"? That's very confusing. I think you mean "neither of these would be subject to "Move X Spaces" rule.

Ewww, you're right on both counts. A FAQ would help to clear that bit up and that is horrid grammar. Let me fix the grammar.

Edited by Fizz

My question is charging into the space you just came from.

It seems dumb to be able to start in space A (being adjacent to a hostile figure), then use the charge special action, using one move point to move out of space A, then using your 2nd move point to move Back into space A and do your attack. Am I missing something?

I'm asking because that Wookkiee can do a ton more things when he charges, so much more than just attacking twice.

Charge is not using movement points, it uses "move a number of spaces up to your Speed", i.e. "move up to X spaces". Thus, it can ignore extra movement point cost from terrain and spaces with hostile figures.

And "up to X" allows to move 0 spaces. No need to move forward and back, although you could do that.

2 hours ago, a1bert said:

Charge is not using movement points, it uses "move a number of spaces up to your Speed", i.e. "move up to X spaces". Thus, it can ignore extra movement point cost from terrain and spaces with hostile figures.

And "up to X" allows to move 0 spaces. No need to move forward and back, although you could do that.

It seems overpowered to be able to Charge without moving or moving 1 step away and coming right back.

3 minutes ago, JasonTheConner said:

It seems overpowered to be able to Charge without moving or moving 1 step away and coming right back.

Why moving 0 is more overpowered than moving 4 or 5?

1 minute ago, a1bert said:

Why moving 0 is more overpowered than moving 4 or 5?

It's not the moving. It's the ability itself and all the extras it gets When charging. So if I move a trooper up to the woodie, and surround him with 3 more, he can then "Charge" still, even though surrounded OR if he has 1 empty space can move there and move back and That's a charge???

The rules are clear. When Gaarkhan activates Charge, he can move 0 spaces and then attack.

If you want to argue theme, that's your prerogative.

My group wants more RPG style and have requested different house rules for other things along those gains, hence why I was asking this one.

Thematically, not moving should make the attack and abilities triggering from Charge even more powerful!

Lol. IMHO, thematically: 1) Not moving should disallow the charge, 2) stepping 1 square away and stepping back should diminish the charge abilities, and 3) moving at least 1 square should be the minimum to do a "charge". The poem is not "The Stand Still of the Light Brigade" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

23 hours ago, JasonTheConner said:

Lol. IMHO, thematically: 1) Not moving should disallow the charge, 2) stepping 1 square away and stepping back should diminish the charge abilities, and 3) moving at least 1 square should be the minimum to do a "charge". The poem is not "The Stand Still of the Light Brigade" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

The rules are clear. You're free to house rule as you want, but you may unbalance the game. Gharkhaan isn't the best character as it is (good, but not the best), taking things away from him may not be the best idea.

If you're incorporating an RPG style then I would think the names shouldn't matter, you'd be making up a story to justify it however you want. Wouldn't you?

Edited by Uninvited Guest
2 minutes ago, Uninvited Guest said:

The rules are clear. You're free to house rule as you want, but you may unbalance the game. Gharkhaan isn't the best character as it is (good, but not the best), taking things away from him may not be the best idea.

If you're incorporating an RPG style then I would think the names shouldn't matter, you'd be making up a story to justify it however you want. Wouldn't you?

Yes. But Sorry, the lol was to indicate that this was all in jest after ge answered my rule question.

On 2/28/2020 at 5:09 PM, JasonTheConner said:

My question is charging into the space you just came from.

It seems dumb to be able to start in space A (being adjacent to a hostile figure), then use the charge special action, using one move point to move out of space A, then using your 2nd move point to move Back into space A and do your attack. Am I missing something?

I'm asking because that Wookkiee can do a ton more things when he charges, so much more than just attacking twice.

If you are looking for a thematic example. "Rampage" ability: imagine wookie using the sheer momentum to body-slam enemies, dealing extra damage at the end of the charge movie. But in case of "stationary charge" (ie. spending strain, but not actually moving), it might as well mean using his elbows muai-thai style, punching, kicking, biting, and claw-scratching the enemies nearby - he doesnt have mementum, but he instead has enough time to flurry nearby enemies with a lot of irritating and painful (but not lethal) attacks.