Belt of Hercules alt ending

By kain7th, in Talisman Home Brews

Hi so i was messing around with strange eons and realized we were missing this alt ending from 2nd edition. thought i'd try to make it again.

Made one with two different pics, which one you like better?

s31ob4.jpg

30a8ah2.jpg

Text is lifted directly from 2nd edition

Edited by kain7th

The Endings from the 2nd. Ed generally were good... but only after tweaking them a little bit. It is the same for the Belt of Hercule - the original one was good, but not excellent.

You should increase the stats instead of setting them in stone. Characters may have their own stats higher than 12, and so the Belt just hurts them.

Plus, in the 2nd Ed. we had the Timescape and the Belt couldn't teleport in there. We don't know what the future will bring to the 4th RE, but in the case of the Timescape returning You should add an alternative to the Belt - for example that the Belt can also teleport to enemies or spaces and encounter them normally. This way the Belt can get some extra attributes if the other character are even stronger than he is.

The Endings from the 2nd. Ed generally were good... but only after tweaking them a little bit. It is the same for the Belt of Hercule - the original one was good, but not excellent.

You should increase the stats instead of setting them in stone. Characters may have their own stats higher than 12, and so the Belt just hurts them.

Plus, in the 2nd Ed. we had the Timescape and the Belt couldn't teleport in there. We don't know what the future will bring to the 4th RE, but in the case of the Timescape returning You should add an alternative to the Belt - for example that the Belt can also teleport to enemies or spaces and encounter them normally. This way the Belt can get some extra attributes if the other character are even stronger than he is.

Thanks, i may change the stats a bit... but i was more wondering which picture did you like better though?

The second is better I think. The first looks too much pixelated.

The second is better I think. The first looks too much pixelated.

Ok so do you think a strength of 20 instead of just 12 is sufficent? or should i do more? or less?

Should be a thing that is added to the current Strength rather than it is replacing it. Some players are trying the Inner Region with attributes equal to 9, and some players until they have 15 or more. Considering that this Ending can be played as a face-down Ending, players might wait a little longer before they will try the Inner Region (because they won't know what is hiding on the CoC, and in case that's a boss battle they must have some better attributes).

Should be a thing that is added to the current Strength rather than it is replacing it. Some players are trying the Inner Region with attributes equal to 9, and some players until they have 15 or more. Considering that this Ending can be played as a face-down Ending, players might wait a little longer before they will try the Inner Region (because they won't know what is hiding on the CoC, and in case that's a boss battle they must have some better attributes).

i see. so how would you word that in the text?

Hmm...

If I were to design this card, I probably would design it this way:

<STAR> The Crown of Command has been replaced by the Belt of Hercules. The first character to reach this space must don the Belt. Only one character can wear the Belt at any time. For as long as the Belt is not on this space, each character to enter this space immediately must teleport to their starting space and end their turn.
<HR>
<STAR> When you wear the Belt, increase your Strength value by 6 and you roll 2 dice in battle and use the higher attack roll to determine your attack score. If you roll doubles, you automatically win the battle.
<HR>
<STAR> When you wear the Belt, at the start of each of your turns, you must teleport to any space containing an Enemy or a character and attack them (in any Region, including the Inner Region). When you are defeated by a character, in addition to losing 1 life, you also lose the Belt, and the victor must don it.
<HR>
<STAR> Once a character reaches the Crown of Command, characters cannot heal or gain life for the rest of the game.
<HR>
<STAR> The last character remaining wins the game!

I might suggest you roll an additional die in combat and choose the highest instead of roll two dice, otherwise the warrior cannot benefit from that part of the belt.

Hmm...

<STAR> The Crown of Command has been replaced by the Belt of Hercules. The first character to reach this space must don the Belt. Only one character can wear the Belt at any time. For as long as the Belt is not on this space, each character to enter this space immediately must teleport to their starting space and end their turn.

<HR>

<STAR> When you wear the Belt, increase your Strength value by 6 and you roll 2 dice in battle and use the higher attack roll to determine your attack score. If you roll doubles, you automatically win the battle.

<HR>

<STAR> When you wear the Belt, at the start of each of your turns, you must teleport to any space containing an Enemy or a character and attack them (in any Region, including the Inner Region). When you are defeated by a character, in addition to losing 1 life, you also lose the Belt, and the victor must don it.

<HR>

<STAR> Once a character reaches the Crown of Command, characters cannot heal or gain life for the rest of the game.

<HR>

First - I'd say too many enhancements. Add 6 to Strength. Don't roll 2 dice. Doubles does nothing special.

Also, how about this -- if you lose a fight, the Belt teleports back to the Crown of Command. Only if a character is wearing the belt, then other characters cannot heal or gain life and if killed, lose the game.

Finally -- definitely second pic.

Hmm...

<HR>

<HR>

<HR>

<HR>

First - I'd say too many enhancements. Add 6 to Strength. Don't roll 2 dice. Doubles does nothing special.

Also, how about this -- if you lose a fight, the Belt teleports back to the Crown of Command. Only if a character is wearing the belt, then other characters cannot heal or gain life and if killed, lose the game.

I think I must disagree with You here.

The reason I added the doubles effect is that the character with the Belt doesn't necessarily need to be the strongest character in the game now. In fact even with the Belt he still might be the weakest character. That doubles ability allows him to win a battle even if he will be fighting against a super strong opponent or "doppelgangers".

About the Belt teleporting back to the CoC space I'm also not sure. The game should not drag out at the end of it. Once a character managed to get the Belt, the game pretty soon should end. I don't think players will enjoy playing next half a hour to an hour just because the Belt teleports back to the CoC space.

For this very reason players should not be able to heal and gain life during the entire remaining time. According to the rules once a character reached the CoC, all characters killed are permanently removed from the game. Therefore all other characters might want to kill each other even if the Belt in unavailable now (the character was killed by an Enemy) without going for the Belt itself.

Hmm...

<HR>

<HR>

<HR>

<HR>

I think I must disagree with You here.

The reason I added the doubles effect is that the character with the Belt doesn't necessarily need to be the strongest character in the game now. In fact even with the Belt he still might be the weakest character. That doubles ability allows him to win a battle even if he will be fighting against a super strong opponent or "doppelgangers".

About the Belt teleporting back to the CoC space I'm also not sure. The game should not drag out at the end of it. Once a character managed to get the Belt, the game pretty soon should end. I don't think players will enjoy playing next half a hour to an hour just because the Belt teleports back to the CoC space.

For this very reason players should not be able to heal and gain life during the entire remaining time. According to the rules once a character reached the CoC, all characters killed are permanently removed from the game. Therefore all other characters might want to kill each other even if the Belt in unavailable now (the character was killed by an Enemy) without going for the Belt itself.

Here's the problem with that approach --- you are giving the person who gets there first the game. If I can roll doubles and auto win, AND get +6 strength, AND roll 2 dice, who is going to beat me? It them becomes just a race to see who gets to the CoC first to don the belt. In our games, people are usually only a Str point or two behind each other when trying for the CoC. Giving +6 to Str gives them a whole die advantage. That should be enough.

But really, let's look at the point of this alternate ending: What are you trying to accomplish, i.e., how is this really different from the typical Crown ending, where everyone loses a life on a 4,5,6? For the Crown, it gives the other players who are close to the CoC a chance to get there in a few turns and contest the person who got there first. Therefore getting to the CoC doesn't mean you win outright, and if someone is close to you, then you better be able to beat them, or the outcome isn't certain.

With this version of the belt, though, with +6 Strength/Doubles = win/roll 2 dice, you are nigh invincible. Someone else is close in the race to get to the Crown -- so what? You got the belt first, you win.

Now, tone it down and say only +6 Strength. Solid advantage, teleport to others, attack them with +6 Strength. But ... it gives everyone else at least something to play for, as there is a chance you lose, then the belt goes back to the CoC. Anyone who was close, they can keep going forward, as if you lose, the belt goes back there. That person, presumably the second strongest left, will and should be your first target. It keeps the game going a bit, although you do have the big advantage with +6 Str, and rightfully so, but you don't auto win just because you got to the CoC first. The original Crown doesn't do that, and the Belt of Hercules shouldn't either.